Tammy The 19yo Kelpie X From Canterbury Pound

This sweet old girls face got to me when I saw her picture in Urgent Rescue Canterbury Pound thread :thumbsup: , lots of dogs pull my heartstrings but Tammy was different :champagne::champagne:

Well I picked her up this morning and this beautiful 16 year old lady absolutely melts me, she's the size of a kelpie with cattle dog coloured feet and a white chest, she weighs a tiny 8.2kg :champagne: , just skin and bone, but barely sits still for a minute. Like one of those wiry old ladies that go a million miles an hour! She stood up all the way home in the car, watching out the windows...

P1010492.jpg

When we got home she tottered all over the front yard before I brought her in for a bath.She happily let me wash every little bit of her oh so gently, she feels so fragile! . She loved being toweled off, wagging her tail and shaking herself off balance before coming back for more towel :thumbsup: Her coat is so soft.

P1010469.jpg

Vets said she was hardly eating anything. Well bless her she likes my cooking! and has eaten a couple of tablespoons

about 6 times since being here(about 1pm) I cooked up some chicken thighs and rice and put a little Vets all Natural Health Booster on it when I give it to her. She has also eaten some Advance puppy kibble and seems to chew them up with out any problem. So Im hopeful I can improve her body condition a little but only time will tell.

I haven't had such an elderly dog before so if anyone has any advice or tips Id welcome them with open arms!

She is pretty much deaf (which could be in her favor here lol), has cataracts on both eyes but can see and she gets around very well. She has spent hours in the yard this afternoon sniffing every square inch while the other dogs play in the back ground, they all get on famously and seem to know she is old and show her respect. Ziggy is a little jealous but that’s just Princess Ziggy! Lol

Diva, the Ridgey x Dane pup is a foster from Hay and Sharni the crazy cattle x is mine.

P1010458.jpg

Checking out the neighbours..

P1010473.jpg

The 4 girls..

P1010479.jpg

P1010455.jpg

Rocko and Ziggy stayed on the lounge to make sure Wolfie didn't pinch it!

P1010447.jpg

Tammy finally lay down for a snooze about 4pm..

P1010491.jpg

I can’t stop looking at her…. Im in awe!.

I finally get it...I have read so many times people saying the oldies are very special and now I see so clearly why. My kids even get it now too, they didn't understand why I wanted to bring home a dog that we know we will not have for years and will unavoidably end in tears. But now they see how they can make a difference to her life and that NO dog should die with no one to shed a tear for them.

We adore her. She has such a presence, you cant help but feel enormous respect for her, her frailty evokes such tenderness and care from all of us. She truly is amazing!

Apparently the lady that surrendered her was terribly distressed at having to do so. I have given my contact details to the staff so they can let her know that Tammy has a home and will be safe, loved and cared for forever!

And just because I think she is such a great pooch.. my foster Diva :dancingelephant: (she was the skinny girl from Hay Pound :champagne: )

P1010468.jpg

P1010482.jpg

Edited by Cazstaff

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lovely story, you could not have known she was so tiny from the photo!

For meals, nothing too rich and probably 4 small meals a day until you can't feel her bones. Maybe there's an underlying medical condition that her former owner can tell you about?

Just because she was in a home doesn't mean she will be in the best condition - old dogs sometimes cannot eat differnet foods because they have bad teeth that haven't been attended too. (many pounds just feed dried food). Stick to soft foods - basmatic rice is really good, also try sardines/tuna which is tasty and will tempt her.

Have a good look in her ears - they may never have had a clean in her life. I'm always digging potatoes out of the oldies' ears!!

Wait until she's through quarantine but only a shortish walk of up to 20 mins at a slower pace each day and she'll probably be as happy as Larry!

You may know this but don't leave an oldie alone with the pack.

I never thought she'd get out, thank you and your family for having a big heart.

Wait until she's through quarantine but only a shortish walk of up to 20 mins at a slower pace each day and she'll probably be as happy as Larry!

Didn't you notice the size of Caz's yard :champagne: . Once around it and up and down the stairs a couple of times and Tammy will have had her 20 minutes :dancingelephant: . Lucky lucky dogs.

LOL at Ziggy and Rocko :champagne:

Well done, Caz. If anything, from the pound photo she looked a little tubby (the one I saw, anyway, where she was lying down) - I hope she comes back into shape a bit for you.

She looks right at home, and it's lovely that you have left details for the previous owner to say that she is safe and loved. :dancingelephant:

Thanks so much for posting photos!!! I've been busting to see and hear how she went after being picked up, but I didn't want to push my luck asking for pics. I thought you'd post some when you got around to it. Thanks for saving her and letting her live out the rest of her days in that lovely grassy yard. And ditto to what dogmad said about not leaving such an oldie alone with the pack.

Other than that, I'm sure she'll have you wrapped around her finger in no time (although that may've happened already!).

And I forgot to say in the urgent thread - thanks for getting her out of the pound so quickly!

What a lovely story, you could not have known she was so tiny from the photo!

For meals, nothing too rich and probably 4 small meals a day until you can't feel her bones. Maybe there's an underlying medical condition that her former owner can tell you about?

Just because she was in a home doesn't mean she will be in the best condition - old dogs sometimes cannot eat differnet foods because they have bad teeth that haven't been attended too. (many pounds just feed dried food). Stick to soft foods - basmatic rice is really good, also try sardines/tuna which is tasty and will tempt her.

Have a good look in her ears - they may never have had a clean in her life. I'm always digging potatoes out of the oldies' ears!!

You may know this but don't leave an oldie alone with the pack.

I never thought she'd get out, thank you and your family for having a big heart.

Thanks Dogmad, no you couldn't tell from the pound photo, I was shocked to see how thin she was...8.2 kg is nothing for a dog her size. The vets did run bloods on her while she was there and were amazed at how good they were, it didn't show any irregularities at all.

Her teeth are a bit of a mess but she still has most of them :laugh: She was taking Sharni's Advance biscuits yesterday which are quite large and chewing them up. I will try the sardines and tuna to encourage her to eat a bit more. Thanks for the tips, Im going to need them, she isnt eating much at all this morning :rofl:.

I havent had a good look in her ears, I just wiped them when I bathed her but I will check them more closely today.

I never leave any of my dogs together if Im not here. They all have their crates for night time, (except Rocko who sleeps on his mattress and Ziggy sleeps with me :love: ) or when I have to go out. Tammy likes the cot mattress set up under the window in the back bedroom(just off the family room) same room I use for a whelping room so it has a gate and a lockable door, she will wander in there for a snooze during the day and took herself off to bed at about 8pm last night! lol I have a memory foam overlay and vetbed on it for her.

I sleep in there with her at night. So that can be her room now for when I have to go out. I work from home so am here 99% of the time. My work area is off the family room that leads to the yard so I can see my pooches whether they are inside with me or out in the yard.

Caz.. :scold:

She is a lovely old chook. How's that lovely wolfie girl settling in Caz?

Wolfie is a dream girl Fiona :rofl: Such a snugglebum she's just lovely. And what a cool coat she has !

She is snoozing on the lounge behind me..see :scold: Woof , wake up and smile for the camera.....

P1010495.jpg

As you can see she has settled in rather well :laugh:

Thankyou so much for helping to get her up here Fiona, much appreciated :love:

Oh dear, all those photos are just so heart warming. It's wonderful to see dogs out of the pound just relax and feel they are at home. You can practically see them thinking: oooh boy, I don't have to worry about what is happening around me or be stressed by the stressful [unavoidable sadly] atmosphere.

I finally get it...I have read so many times people saying the oldies are very special and now I see so clearly why. My kids even get it now too, they didn't understand why I wanted to bring home a dog that we know we will not have for years and will unavoidably end in tears. But now they see how they can make a difference to her life and that NO dog should die with no one to shed a tear for them.

We adore her. She has such a presence, you cant help but feel enormous respect for her, her frailty evokes such tenderness and care from all of us. She truly is amazing!

Clever girl, Tammy, taught you well & fast. You've put into words, beautifully, why a number of us rave about the golden oldies.

You're getting the feeling, aren't you....that this amazing elderly girl is giving you more than you could ever give her. It's so hard to convey that to people, who haven't had the 'senior dog' experience.

I'm so glad you both found each other. She's adorable.

Our vet advised up to sprinkle some Protexin (for digestive health) over the food of our elderly 'Grandma'. She lived until she was nearly 23 yrs.

Protexin is a powdered form of a probiotic & is available from vets.

Edited by mita