Tammy The 19yo Kelpie X From Canterbury Pound

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the brilliant update. I love this girl. :rofl: So happy she is with you and having such a wonderful time. Good on you Tammy and Cazstaff, you are both champions. :rofl:
Ain't that the truth :rofl: ;) . The first photo in the car is priceless. It should be on the wall of every shelter and every veterinary clinic in Australia.

... oh, and a VERY healthy appetite... lol!

She was the perfect save Cazstaff... way to go girlfriend!

T.

Doesn't she just :confused:

She was hilarious when I was visiting. She knew where the treats were and would scope them out and them bark till Caz gave her one. Agile little madam was trying to climb on the crate to reach them :laugh:

She is a special old girl :laugh:

Caz she is truly gorgeous and YOU are an Angel. Look at how happy she is. :laugh: (happy tears)

Her story is just beautiful and no wonder she's not showing signs of ageing - she has a whole lotta catching up to do first. All the things she would of missed out on a youngster, no doubt.

Good on you - hugs to you all. ;)

Wow. My girl has just passed 16 and I thought she was doing pretty well without hearing and with limited eyesight but pretty much full mobility. Tammy is like an olympic athlete compared to my girl who is of the walk slow and sniff every blade of grass variety. She plays with my younger girl every single day and also has a play routine she likes with me but she goes with the flow for the rest of the time, not ever too far from a comfy rest spot.

I also check her breathing regularly and I think part of the joy of owning an older dog is that it is almost like owning a puppy again without the naughtiness. You spend your time monitoring everything they eat and do looking for signs of deterioration (as opposed to improvement like you would in a puppy). When they do positive things you praise them like they just did the most amazing thing. Their lives seem so much simpler again. They get around despite the lack of hearing or sight without complaint and still want to go for a walk even if they can't walk very far or fast. They wake every day ready for whatever comes their way. I think us humans can learn a lot from how they approach life without focussing on the limitations that come with ageing.

what an awesome job you have done with this old girl, was so worried that there was a different reason this one had been bumped, but so happy when I saw your post with her happy beach shots, she is definitely having a wonderful retirement

• 1 month later...

It has been 1 year today since Tammy came to live with us :o

We feel so very lucky to have her as part of our family and really didnt expect to have her for this long!

She is 18 years old now and I think she is healthier than she was a year ago.

My only worry with her is she has started to eat non food things...plastic, cardboard (oh how she loves cardboard), paper, pegs, shoe lace, rubber band/hair elastic, bits of her bedding, toys .... :o I have to keep a close eye on her and make sure nothing is left where she can get it.

So heres to a few more happy years of love and laughs and lessons (mine not hers!)with our amazing Nana dog Tammy :D

We all love you to bits Tammy, Im so proud of you my pretty lady :(:)

It sounds like your old girl is having a second childhood... lol! My Zeddy has funny spates like this sometimes when certain personality type rescue pups are around... and as long as whatever is ingested can pass happily through at the other end, I'm not too worried... *grin*

T.

• 10 months later...

We are celebrating my darling old Tammy having been with us 2 years this weekend!! Talk about blessed. You all know how much I adore this pretty lady and I can't believe we have been lucky enough to have her for 2 whole years and she doesnt look like going anywhere yet!

Her hearing has now gone but she can still see enough to navigate her way around trouble free even when we are out. She pops straight up when she wakes up, no stiffness or trouble getting about, no incontinence and a very healthy appetite.

She loves going out in the car and sits up watching out the window the whole time, she wouldnt want to miss a single thing. Her coat is still soft as ever and I think she is the prettiest dog on earth, Im so proud of her!

She has had little Dine senior single serve dinners today and I am cooking a leg of Lamb tonight as she loves it, she is excited even by the smell of it cooking, she's tottering around under my feet in the kitchen as she knows whats coming :laugh::laugh:

We went to the beach late this afternoon when it stopped raining, she loves loves loves the beach! Pics below are from today.

She turns 19 next month and that will be a special celebration too!

Tammy2ndanniversary.jpg