Tammy The 19yo Kelpie X From Canterbury Pound

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahaha @ Cyn! He's still a goldmine of info when he's not off on holidays though, isn't he?

Cazstaff... did you ever bring home an injured octopus or a baby fruit bat found on a dead mummy bat? My mum wasn't game to come into my room when we lived on the farm - the strange critters that would be sharing my bed scared her... especially the 2 carpet snakes... she doesn't do snakes very well... they eventually got relocated out to the shed to roam and eat any vermin. Then there were the pet rats, mice, every stray dog, and even the odd cat (which I'm allergic to), or litters of kittens that were going to be drowned by the local farmers.

Funny how it took me 40 years to finally get involved in structured rescue... lol! Who would thunk I had the aptitude for it? hahaha!

Leah is a natural - we need many more like her I reckon. Say G'day to her for me, and tell her I reckon she's a top notch foster carer, and all around great young lady, OK?

T.

Hahaha @ Cyn! He's still a goldmine of info when he's not off on holidays though, isn't he?

Cazstaff... did you ever bring home an injured octopus or a baby fruit bat found on a dead mummy bat? My mum wasn't game to come into my room when we lived on the farm - the strange critters that would be sharing my bed scared her... especially the 2 carpet snakes... she doesn't do snakes very well... they eventually got relocated out to the shed to roam and eat any vermin. Then there were the pet rats, mice, every stray dog, and even the odd cat (which I'm allergic to), or litters of kittens that were going to be drowned by the local farmers.

Funny how it took me 40 years to finally get involved in structured rescue... lol! Who would thunk I had the aptitude for it? hahaha!

Leah is a natural - we need many more like her I reckon. Say G'day to her for me, and tell her I reckon she's a top notch foster carer, and all around great young lady, OK?

T.

:heart: Snakes - Fruit bats :heart: I sure hope Leah doesn't go down that path : :nahnah: I can certainly understand your mum not wanting to go into your room! A birthing cat is a lot less intimidating :heart:

I found a food Tammy will eat, thinly sliced medium rare grilled rump steak yay! and she also likes the Artemis biscuits CBL gave me :eek: She is pretty good with responding to a clap or if I click my fingers. I think she smiles at me sometimes but tail wags are rare.

Ooooo I love her soooo much :crazy:

Kids growing up in rescue learn so much. Mine had watched the vet desex and do other operations, helped hands on at home wiht sad unsure sick and new mummies including hand raising. My son is a breauty he give all manners of animals even a dead ant a grave!

He also tried to rescue a scorpion but was not successful. We have a couple of geckos on our back verandah though! My kids all know how to be good anto and care for an animal, lets hope it carries forth into their adult lives.

Oh! She's beautiful! You are a saint Caz, you really are.

Everytime you post a photo and Rocko is in it, I'm always amazed at how glossy he is. What do you feed him?

Thanks berry, Im definitely not a saint ! :thumbsup:

What do I feed Rocko? Too much it seems... :rofl: He was 67.5kg last week when the vet weighed him so he is on a diet. I hadn't really noticed the weight creeping up on him. Bit like myself! :rofl:

I like Advance dog food. Rocko was on adult large breed but I mixed it with chicken mince or my cooked chicken and rice and he had frames and necks too, and every alternate day all the dogs get one of the following, cottage cheese, sardines, egg, pumpkin & spinach mash.

Now Rocko is on Advance Weight control and half the quantity. Instead of adding chicken mince he gets 2 tbs of premium beef mince with hot water so it makes like a soup that I pour over his bickies. He still gets the extras, just less of them.

I think he is so shiny from being patted all the time by everyone :rofl:

Oh wow! I was thinking that the egg may give him the high gloss! Hehe. Wow, what a weight. God he's devine. I know what you mean about the patting.

My Mom's cat (black Persian) used to get held alot and patted all the time, the children were obsessed with him and by the time we went home, he was all greasy. Poor thing. All their grubby mits.

I'm going to try some chicken mince. Tessa eats anything but I've always used the steak and the red meats. I don't really experiment with chicken so much. I like to pop a salmon oil tablet in there too. My in laws take alot of fish oil and they swear by it being great for well being.

Take care xox

Thank you so much for taking Tammy, she looks an absolute sweetheart and bright as a button :D

I also have a 16 year old Kelpie, I find when she is a bit off her food or being fussy I can usually tempt her with lamb flaps that I throw on the bbq for about 10 seconds just to get them tasty(from the sausage fat)

Im sure she will give you and your family much love and joy. :)

Thanks for the tip Robbi :) , I will get some lamb flaps today. She seems to have 1 day she'll eat and then the next day she wont ? I can see every bone in her body, she has no fat at all :p Is your girl skinny?

Berry, the chicken mince I order through my pet food and produce store. 20kg is $18.00 so great value when Im feeding a few boofa's. Its whole chickens minced, bones and all. I get the medium fat one as Im usually trying to get condition onto skinny fosters and it works a treat....

I just over did it with Rocko :( Oooops :thumbsup: I use all different mince from the supermarket-pork, veal, turkey, beef, lamb and if I have a strong stomach on the day roo :thumbsup:

I have used Flaxseed oil for years with the dogs and swear by it for skin and coat. I just stab a capsule over their dinner about 3 times a week. Fish oil is great too :D . Tessa is so beautiful, she looks like she has been with your kids forever!

:eek:

I have used Flaxseed oil for years with the dogs and swear by it for skin and coat. I just stab a capsule over their dinner about 3 times a week.

I've been using Flaxseed oil as well, Caz, with the fosters. My own dogs are such fussy eaters there is no way I could disguise anything in their food.

Vanilla is itching like crazy since her groom, so I'll give her a rinse again today and put some aloveen conditioner on her.

Tammy is pretty old, so I imagine a bit of her weight problem is due to that. Old people lose interest in food and I guess dogs do too.

Her teeth look pretty brown in that smiling photo. Could they be hurting her? A dental can sometimes be the turning point for dogs, but then you'd need to consider the risks of a GA for a girl her age.

I have used Flaxseed oil for years with the dogs and swear by it for skin and coat. I just stab a capsule over their dinner about 3 times a week.

I've been using Flaxseed oil as well, Caz, with the fosters. My own dogs are such fussy eaters there is no way I could disguise anything in their food.

Vanilla is itching like crazy since her groom, so I'll give her a rinse again today and put some aloveen conditioner on her.

Tammy is pretty old, so I imagine a bit of her weight problem is due to that. Old people lose interest in food and I guess dogs do too.

Her teeth look pretty brown in that smiling photo. Could they be hurting her? A dental can sometimes be the turning point for dogs, but then you'd need to consider the risks of a GA for a girl her age.

Her teeth are very brown! I dont think they are hurting her as she will crunch into Rocko's or Sharni's large Advance biscuits quite easily :laugh: It surprised me. Strangely her breath isnt that bad, so Im hopeful that indicates there isnt an infection in there. But she is tooo thin, I can clearly see every vertebra and rib and her hips and pelvis stick out :mad

I'll take her to the vet next week and get him to have a good look. I just wanted her to be feeling safe with me before I took her anywhere. Im scared of stressing her.

She is so precious Cyn :rofl::o:cry:

Caz, why not write to a reputable magazine/newspaper with her story and the benefits of adopting a senior. I am sure your daughter would love to help and put in some input too. (from a younger persons point of view) she sounds like a very smart and caring young lady!

I think it would a beautiful story and raise awareness to the oldies out there waiting for their forever homes.

What you & your family are doing is so amazing - its such a selfless act.

You are the K9 Angel woman!!

That is so sweet reading to a deaf dog, but she is right y'know - even though she is deaf, she would take great comfort in feeling your daughter talking/reading to her. (may sound silly to some) but I believe it.

Oh and I was the same as you as a kid. Always bringing the strays home. Mostly dogs, but also cats, birds, even a chook once I found on Woodville Rd. It looked ok sunny side up but the other side was raw and riddled in maggots - My poor mum and dad. I nursed it back to health. I called her Hetty the hen :laugh: she lived with us for many years - poor Dad had to build a chook coupe and we ended up getting her a dozen hen friends.... Mum still brings up that chicken to this day, at least now she can look back & laugh.....

I still do the same, for some reason I attract strays of all sorts.

Thanks again for what you are doing for this girl (and the rest).....

Oldies are sweeties arent they? they have a certain innocence and wisdom to them - they are gentle, graceful and full of love.....

Edited by k9angel

Her teeth are very brown!

So she doesn't get stressed, can you put some doggie toothpaste on your finger....or on the corner of a thin facecloth....& gently rub her teeth.

Some of that brown stuff might slough off. See if she can get used to this in little spurts.

Also there's Purina Dental Chews (available from Coles). A breeder recommended them for my senior dogs.

I hope, Caz & Tammy, you don't mind me telling Qld'ers who'd love a senior gem, that there's a pretty ACD x girl, around 12 yrs of age, in the Golden Oldies adoption program at AWL Qld on the Gold Coast. Classy name, Prada, for a classy dame whose coat is red, white, black & tan.

Enquiries: 5509 9000

Edited by mita

she is gorgeous...

what are her faeces like??? i had a dog with pancreatic problems and he was always thin and his poop was sort of greasy looking and greyish. then again as she is aged maybe some digestive enzymes added to her food may assist with her agining a little condition.

rip sweet Wilma....

H