Tammy The 19yo Kelpie X From Canterbury Pound

Her teeth are very brown!

So she doesn't get stressed, can you put some doggie toothpaste on your finger....or on the corner of a thin facecloth....& gently rub her teeth.

Some of that brown stuff might slough off. See if she can get used to this in little spurts.

Also there's Purina Dental Chews (available from Coles). A breeder recommended them for my senior dogs.

I hope, Caz & Tammy, you don't mind me telling Qld'ers who'd love a senior gem, that there's a pretty ACD x girl, around 12 yrs of age, in the Golden Oldies adoption program at AWL Qld on the Gold Coast. Classy name, Prada, for a classy dame whose coat is red, white, black & tan.

Enquiries: 5509 9000

Thanks mita,

I have a dog toothbrush that goes over your finger and 'chicken' flavored (eeuuwwww) dog toothpaste here, I will see if she'll let me have a go. I got some dental chews today too, I'll give her one tomorrow.

Ohhh poor Prada :laugh: , I hope she gets a home soon. Pounds are no place for any dog but the oldies must find it terrible.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what you say, Caz, it would appear there isn't any infection and all that chomping will probably result in cleaner teeth in no time. :laugh:

:laugh: :p :) Totally understand that comment - LOL.

How much Racing Club work are you getting done these days . . . . . . . . :rofl:

Not nearly enough! :) Its very hard to stay on task with the business when I have all these gorgous dogs around me that are so much more rewarding to spend time with than the computer or customers.

Vanilla is itching like crazy since her groom, so I'll give her a rinse again today and put some aloveen conditioner on her.

Aloveen is lovely stuff isnt it :rofl: . I was sent some Evening Primrose Oil Dog shampoo (I don't know who by? ) that is meant to be fantastic for itchy dogs. Let me know if you'd like to try it on Vanilla and I will send some up to you, I have a BIG bottle here.

:laugh:

Hi dogbesotted,

Her poo is quite normal, dark & formed. The Protexin Powder arrived for her yesterday, thats a pro-biotic I think, is that the same as digestive enzymes?

She has started to wag her tail when she see's me or the kids and she jumps up onto the lounge and onto my bed. She digs herself a nest in my doona and curls up lol. Would any other dog here be allowed to do that?? I dont think so...but when she does it is so very endearing :laugh: .

she is gorgeous...

what are her faeces like??? i had a dog with pancreatic problems and he was always thin and his poop was sort of greasy looking and greyish. then again as she is aged maybe some digestive enzymes added to her food may assist with her agining a little condition.

rip sweet Wilma....

H

Tammy is just gorgeous. :laugh: Very special, the oldies. Well done Cazstaff. :p

My old girl left last year, she was just on 17yo. Daisy was WhippetX so never a fat dog. She had heart failure for the last 7years of her life, but it was treated well with medication. Whenever she looked like she was getting a bit too thin, I often found that chicken necks helped her gain some weight. For the last 6months of her life that is what she mostly ate for dinner. The other thing she liked was boiled sausages. I know it sounds strange, but she enjoyed them and they seemed to help her keep a bit of weight on.

She looked similar to Tammy and had that lovely smile. Sometimes for dinner she would have 8 large chicken necks. It also helped to keep her teeth in decent condition.

It is so great to see the amount of people who enjoy the oldies. Beautiful oldies that they are. :laugh:

Some more old Kelpie feeding ideas that may help :laugh:

Jess never seems to want the same meal 2 days in a row which makes life a little bit difficult but some of her will eats other than the lamb flaps include-

beef mince(raw) with pasta

cooked beef mince with rice and veg

chicken necks but they do come back up sometimes :laugh:

fish for dogs

stealing the cat food

eagle pack canned duck and oatmeal

little tins of My Dog when I am desperate and she is being fussy...

Goodluck with Tammy and the food it is stressful when they dont eat but my girl is quite chubby unlike Tammy, I also give her 1/2 a teaspoon of rosehip granules a day on her food and both dogs drink water with a splash of apple cider vinegar in it.

Thankyou for the food tip sumosmum and Robbi :thumbsup: MUCH appreciated.

Robbi this girl of mine sounds very similar to yours, what she loves one day she will sniff and walk away from the next.... :thumbsup: The up side is my other dogs are getting some pretty cool 'treats' when she wont eat it.

I haven't tried her with chicken necks, I'll grab some today. So sorry about Daisy :thumbsup: , she sounds lovely.

Robbi what does the apple cider vinegar in their water do?

It's been a good week for darling elderly chooks. Prada, the pretty senior ACDx in AWL Qld's golden oldies program, has been adopted, too.

Have a look at her, before they take her pic down.

http://www.awlqld.com.au/Golden-Oldies.html

I keep thinking of the poem:

Grow old along with me,

The best is yet to be.

As it'll be for Tammy & Prada.

Awww, just gorgeous. :thumbsup:

Caz she is so so beautiful. Gorgeous :rofl:

Thank you so much you are a legend! Thanks for having such a big heart.

All your dogs are just beautiful. They all look so happy and content.

My friend & I (she was at k9 force that day ) were just saying how amazing and gorgeous Rocko is. We loved him!

Give them all a big hug and you too :cheer: .

Edited by MelissaS

It's been a good week for darling elderly chooks. Prada, the pretty senior ACDx in AWL Qld's golden oldies program, has been adopted, too.

Have a look at her, before they take her pic down.

http://www.awlqld.com.au/Golden-Oldies.html

I keep thinking of the poem:

Grow old along with me,

The best is yet to be.

As it'll be for Tammy & Prada.

Oh my :cry::):) , isnt she beautiful! So pleased to hear she now has a home :cry: .

Tammy had her appointment with my vet today for a full check over and she has come through with flying colours! I was so thrilled, looks like we may have her for quite some time :cry::cry:

She is now 9.7kg so thats 1.5kg gain since I picked her up just over a week ago :(, her heart sounds great, no sign of heart disease, lungs sound good, all her joints are fine, ears are clean. A blood screen was done while she was at the pound and that was all excellent too. What an amazing girl to be so healthy at the ripe old age of 16!

Yes she has cataracts but seems to be able to see reasonably well. I'll put a night light in our room to aid her nighttime vision.

The only problem she has is her teeth which are in dire need of attention. My vet feels she would cope just fine with a light GA for dental clean and polish and the benefits to her well worth it. It doesn't look like any teeth have to come out at this stage.

So I am a very happy Vegemite tonight, yay for sweet little Tammy!!

Tammy had her appointment with my vet today for a full check over and she has come through with flying colours! I was so thrilled, looks like we may have her for quite some time :cry::cry:

She is now 9.7kg so thats 1.5kg gain since I picked her up just over a week ago :(, her heart sounds great, no sign of heart disease, lungs sound good, all her joints are fine, ears are clean. A blood screen was done while she was at the pound and that was all excellent too. What an amazing girl to be so healthy at the ripe old age of 16!

Yes she has cataracts but seems to be able to see reasonably well. I'll put a night light in our room to aid her nighttime vision.

The only problem she has is her teeth which are in dire need of attention. My vet feels she would cope just fine with a light GA for dental clean and polish and the benefits to her well worth it. It doesn't look like any teeth have to come out at this stage.

Go Tammy - what a grand old lady.

Sensational news Caz :cry:

Yep :laugh: Better to do it while she is still young and fit rather than wait till she's old and they cause her problems :laugh: The vet was very impressed with her for 16 years old. I left there feeling like I had won the lottery :)

My beautiful girl will really have a killer smile with clean teeth..

She actually seemed to enjoy her little outing yesterday, my concerns about it stressing her were silly!

Excellent news Caz! So are you going to have her get a dental?

T.

She is probably having so much fun that she has been given a new lease on life.

She sounds in much better condition heart and lung wise than Rover was at the same age, but he took about two days to get over his dental. His anaesthetic was Isofluorane and he was absolutely zonked out. On the other hand, Tirra had a huge amount of work done on his mouth a couple of years ago and you wouldn't have known he'd been in hospital :laugh: .

Metabolic differences, I imagine, play a large part in how they react.

Oh Caz what fabulous, fabulous news! You must be soooo stoked!! Bet you were grinning from ear to ear by the end of your vet visit. Yay for Tammy! :thumbsup:

I also give her 1/2 a teaspoon of rosehip granules a day on her food and both dogs drink water with a splash of apple cider vinegar in it.

Robbi mind if I ask what the rosehip and the apple cider vinegar are for? :laugh:

Oregano in food is a natural appetite stimulant, you could mix some in her food, it works for my fusspot

cas do you add this fresh?