Tammy The 19yo Kelpie X From Canterbury Pound

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, and may you be blessed for what you have done.

The weight gain is promising and seems she is enjoying your nurturing.

Maybe wait a little while for the teeth, in the meantime some "sensible" raw bones could well do the job for you.

Gracie's teeth were dreadful when I got her, covered in tartar etc., from a tinned food diet, it took a few months, but with regular bones and they were completely cleaned up, - except for the upper canines which it appears she doesn't use much.

It will also mean less time under GA if there is some that still need scraping off.

Well done, and may you be blessed for what you have done.

The weight gain is promising and seems she is enjoying your nurturing.

Maybe wait a little while for the teeth, in the meantime some "sensible" raw bones could well do the job for you.

Gracie's teeth were dreadful when I got her, covered in tartar etc., from a tinned food diet, it took a few months, but with regular bones and they were completely cleaned up, - except for the upper canines which it appears she doesn't use much.

It will also mean less time under GA if there is some that still need scraping off.

Thanks Muttaburra, I have been blessed ! We have Tammy :shrug:

What bones other than chicken necks would be suitable for a Nana dog?

I'll give her a bit longer before I book her in for her dental, at the very least Id like to see a few more kilo's on her, she is still very thin.

Everyone has been so helpful with their advice, I can't thank you all enough. The food tips have been great. She loves chicken necks, grilled steak is still a favorite as is BBQ chicken and the boiled sausage is also a hit with her :eek: Her appetite has definitely improved, maybe its the Protexin Powder.

She gets very cranky if the other dogs are even in sight when I have her food!! They dont have to be in the same room, even if she can see them outside she will bark and fly angrily at them, feisty little thing she is lol , surprised me a bit. She isnt even put off by Rocko's size!

She has also showed some possessiveness with me, doesn't like another dog coming near or even looking at her if I am with her, she will growl and bark chasing them away.

Both understandable behaviors and easy to work with.

Seems she is incontinent when she sleeps soundly :love: . She took a liking to Ziggy's plastic tub bed so I have set it up for her with memory foam mattress, a puppy training wee mat and then vet bed. Easy to change the wee mat and vet bed so she stays clean & dry.

I'll have to get some more pictures of her now she is coming out of her shell. She is sooooo very pretty :laugh: :p

:)

A-B-C hope I can explain my supplements for you :laugh: The rose hip granules are very high in vitamin c and riboflavins, I buy it in bulk to feed my horses and one day I noticed the dogs licking some spilt granules up off the ground so now add it to their food, it is actually quite nice a bitter sweet taste.

Apple cider vinegar is meant to help prevent arthritis and keeps blood vessels and arteries clear and clean, many years ago I read a little book called Folk Medicine by D C Jarvis, a Vermont Doctor with a love of hunting dogs, fascinating and informative reading. I have used apple cider vinegar ever since and have some very healthy(and very old) animals that I think are a living testament to some of his ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

My precious old girl is at the vets tonight in preparation for tomorrows dental work. My vet did blood work on her last week and we found out her kidneys aren't the best...I thought she drank alot :rofl:

We weighed up the risks of GA but her teeth are such a mess that the chance of them causing her trouble before too much longer is high so tomorrow its happening. She went in this afternoon to get set up with a drip to support her kidneys by keeping her very well hydrated pre and post GA.

I miss her so much tonight and worry about how she is, I hope she isnt scared or cold or lonely ;) I took in her vetbed and a spare one.

Woof my Wagga Wolfie is being desexed tomorrow(if she isnt already!) so I will be able to check up on how Tammy went overnight when I drop Woof off in the morning.

:laugh::) for my 2 special girls tomorrow.

Oh no, they're a worry these oldies but you love them all the more for the struggle they have to go through. :)

Hope all is going well for both of them (especially Tammy!)! :laugh:

Edited by Stefie

Cazstaff - sorry to hear about poor Tammy's results. She will need to be on a special kidney diet from the vet possibly.

I went through all this with a tiny old chook I rescued from the pound. I went to a vet that has alternative therapies.

Pippa was only expected to live a few weeks but the alt. vet put her on CHinese herbs and she really came good within a couple of months (with dental, special diet) and lived a good quality life for the next 10 months.

Let me know if you need any info.

I know you will be worry and biting the nails, Caz, but keep your chin up - with all she has to live for, Tammy will come through with flying colours. :confused::rofl:.

I rescued and old boy some years ago who was very fragile and he had ALL his teeth out in the morning and that evening he was gumming chicken necks.

Keep us updated IMMEDIATELY you know about Tammy. She has a huge DOL fan club.

We weighed up the risks of GA but her teeth are such a mess that the chance of them causing her trouble before too much longer is high so tomorrow its happening. She went in this afternoon to get set up with a drip to support her kidneys by keeping her very well hydrated pre and post GA.

Our late little dog, Grandma, had teeth surgery when she was 19 years old. What made the difference for recovery was the pre & post op care.

I found she needed special care in the days following.

Every warm thought coming down to Tammy.

Edited by mita

My girls are home safe and sound!

Tammy gave them a run for their money lol, she chewed up 2 drips and barked at the staff constantly :o ... I can see her now, Wheres my mum?, Why am I in a cage?, I want medium rare rump steak- I dont eat dog food!, hey you, I want to go outside, I dont like that dog looking at me, now I have wet my vetbed cause you wouldnt take me outside..I want a clean one! bark bark bark!

She can be a bossy miss :p

She did very well with the GA :laugh: , her teeth look great now. None had to come out. Like mita said the pre and post op care/support makes all the difference. Im very fond of my vet, she takes so much care with my dogs and I appreciate it very much.

Tammy was very happy to see me tonight, she dragged me out the door to the car and stood up looking out the window all the way home. I took her bed in for the trip home, thinking I would be bringing home a wiped out old doggy lol.

She is sleepy now she's home, gets up for a drink and heads outside for the ritual lap of the yard perimeters and back to bed she goes. Im sure she has no idea of the stress I was feeling today, wondering if I was doing the right thing by her.

I will keep an extra close eye on her over the next few days but at the moment Im thrilled with how well she seems.

My beautiful Woof was/is a sad and sleepy girl, she WASN'T desexed after all, so just as well we did the surgery. Looks like the existing scar may have been from a hernia. She will be fine in the morning ;)

Thankyou for all the good wishes for Tammy(and me :D ) today, Im sure they helped lots!

**I saw Libby today :nahnah: , the other Wagga Wolfie I rehomed a few months back. She was in the waiting room at the vets when I came out after leaving Woof this morning. It was so lovely to cuddle her again, she remembered me straight away and went crazy lol, she smooched me all over and climbed into my lap, such a good feeling. She looked wonderful.

:sleep: