Tammy The 19yo Kelpie X From Canterbury Pound

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woohoo Tammy! She is such an awesome old chook! It was hilarious to watch her when she knew where the treats were, nothing would deter her from getting one, her eyesight isn't that bad!

Just read your Tammy story after a day of sadness looking at all the other dogs looking for forever homes. It's just so nice to see what happens when love and luck combine. I wish there were more families like yours. My beautiful kelpie girl died in August. She was a spring chicken compared to Tammy, just 14, but she got liver cancer. I kept her going for 4 years on a diet similar to the one you describe with lots of good home cooking. She loved it. Now I am fostering working dogs and trying to help AWDRI. It can be heartbreaking but it is good to give these poor babies a second chance. My first foster dog was a beautiful blue heeler and he is now living with a great young couple at the beach. He got lucky too just like Tammy! Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. It really cheered me up. And I agree that Tammy is beautiful.

• 4 months later...

My precious old lady, I can't believe she has gone. I adored her :cry:

Monday she was her usual bright self, jumping around, went for a walk, ate her dinner with gusto and enjoyed a pigs ear. Early Tuesday morning I found her colapsed in a pool of her own wee and poo, then agagin a few hours later.

Something had changed at that point, she didnt look the same or respond to me like usual and Ruger didnt want to leave her.Ruger lay beside her,cleaning her and nuzzling her.

She had a quiet Tuesday, she could stand if I put her on her feet but seemed lost. She wouldnt eat, not even a treat.

Last night was long as I felt I couldnt leave her and by this morning she was unable to walk and her breathing was very shallow. I knew it was time for me to give her her wings so off we went.

She had her first car ride where she wasn't on her feet excitedly looking out the window. She was cradled in my arms with her head against my chest, I stroked her and talked about all the lovely times we has shared. She passed very peacefully.

How incredibly grateful I am to have had her in my life, my queen bee, our nana, our old fart :o She has taught us all so much, given us so many laughs and evoked tenderness and admiration from the toughest of people.

I am a shattered mess of tears. Run free my beautiful girl and thankyou for sharing your last years with us,you were a true blessing.

:rainbowbridge:

I have tears streaming down my cheeks. :cry::cry::cry:

I am so sorry Caz. Hugs to you and Leah and the furkids. :hug:

No words seem enough to thank you for what you did for Tammy.

You gave and showed her love that she'd never felt before and most importantly, you showed her happiness - right until the end.

I have no doubt she will be waiting for you on the other side.

R.I.P. Beautiful Tammy :rainbowbridge: Run young and free again girl. xxx

So sad :cry:

I am so sorry for your loss, she sounds like an amazing girl.

What a wonderful time you shared. Its so great there are people out there like you and Leah. You do amazing work.

I hope you feel better soon. RIP beautiful Tammy.

What a beautiful Grand Lady she was. Such sweet memories

Do you remember her visit to the vet to get her teeth cleaned?

This is what Caz wrote

Tammy gave them a run for their money lol, she chewed up 2 drips and barked at the staff constantly ... I can see her now, Wheres my mum?, Why am I in a cage?, I want medium rare rump steak- I dont eat dog food!, hey you, I want to go outside, I dont like that dog looking at me, now I have wet my vetbed cause you wouldnt take me outside..I want a clean one! bark bark bark!

She can be a bossy miss

Edited by HonBun