Good Camera For A Beginner

FranVT

Dear DOLers, whom I have come to rely on for advice on every single thing imaginable:

I would like to start getting into photography (just as a hobby). I want to take photos of this that and everything! I run lots of concerts here in Rocky so I'd like to get some good shots of those, plus of my loved ones obviously and my precious doggy, so I don't want something that is specific.

More to the point, I don't want anything overly complicated. If it's complicated I'll just get frustrated / overwhelmed and give up.

I was looking in the November Challenge thread today and the Canon 40D seemed fairly popular.

Obviously I also don't want to spend a fortune, Probably around the $1000 mark would be okay.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Fran

Whilst I am a Nikon head (I'd recommend the D40X or the D90) The 40D is a little old (Replaced by the 50D) but because if this has gone down in price.

You'll probably pay around $1,100 just for the body, and then add a bit for a lens. Depending on what you want you'll need specific lens, or a good all round lens... e.g. in a concert you'd need a f2.8 or better lens for low light, for the fast action you'll need a 2.8 with a fast motor to stop the motion etc etc.

You get into the system first, the lens later... so a camera body to learn off a good lens is the best... so the 40D would do this. The 50mm 1.8 is a good start for prime, the 18-200 type lens for a general all round.

Good luck and welcome to world of dSLR

Andrew

Okay so if the 50D has superseded the 40D, is the 50D also a good beginner's camera? That lens etc info was fantastic thanks SchnauzerBoy!

ETA: Is there a better beginner's camera anyone could recommend? Not necessarily Canon.

Edited by FranCQ

If you're looking to spend $1000 total, then maybe the 450D (replaced by the 500D but can still buy new) would be ok?

as others have mentioned, you'd need to buy lenses as well and they cost just as much if not more than the camera body

I have the 450D, and I'm happy with it, I'll upgrade the lenses before I upgrade the camera itself

The lenses cost as much as the camera? And I need multiples of them? Oh wow.

you can buy a camers with an all round/general purpose type lens or maybe even 2 lenses in a kit, which is how I got my 400D (a lesser model than what you're looking at) or you can just buy the body and get a lens separately, which is how I'd do it if I could do it over again.

Okay why is that? Because the ones that came with the kit aren't worth it or? Sorry I am so new to this kind of stuff! I have been taking photos with my phones for years because I had Sony Ericssons and they are pretty good but my iPhone is terrible :rofl: And I want to take better / more sophisticated pics!

the lenses that came with mine are pretty ordinary especially the 75-300. the 18-55 was OK but I find I just dont use it now. You might be perfectly happy with them but I wanted to be able to capture running shots of my whippets and those two lenses were never fast enough. For everyday type things they're OK though so they might suit you, plus I think the kit lenses they sell now are better than mine anyway.

If you want to take shots of your dog in low light you might need a better lens, one with a lower f/stop which means it has a larger aperture and so allows more light in,which enables you to get the photo without having to leave the shutter open for ages, cause that means BLUR!

Edited by Kirislin

Have a look at buying OS, with our strong Aussie $$ now it really makes a huge difference. here's just one example, obviously you'd need to speak to/email them yourself, I am not recommending you buy this camera, just suggesting you consider online OS as well as retail, which would probably be close to double this price.

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSIBK.html

Current exchange rate makes that 599.95US camera around 646Aust. Of course there'd be postage and insurance on top of that and possibly currency conversion charges but it's still cheaper than buying it here.

Edited by Kirislin

Not even sure if you could buy a 40D new, might only be got 2nd hand now but it's supposed to be a very good camera.

You can't get a new 40D anymore - they've stopped selling them. So your only option is second hand (unless you find a shop that has some stock lying around still).

It's a great camera though.

Have a look at buying OS, with our strong Aussie $$ now it really makes a huge difference. here's just one example, obviously you'd need to speak to/email them yourself, I am not recommending you buy this camera, just suggesting you consider online OS as well as retail, which would probably be close to double this price.

http://www.adorama.com/ICADRXSIBK.html

Current exchange rate makes that 599.95US camera around 646Aust. Of course there'd be postage and insurance on top of that and possibly currency conversion charges but it's still cheaper than buying it here.

That's a great price and is apparently the equivalent to a 450D, but my only concern is - can I get it fixed locally if I have a problem with it if I buy it from overseas? That would be a dealbreaker for me...

Sigh maybe I should just forget it or just start saving, if I have to buy new lenses and things I'm very rarely going to have $1000+ sitting around :eek:

Lenses have an international warranty on them - camera bodies do not. If I was you i would buy the camera body here at least.

The twin lens kit is a great way to start learning - the lenses aren't great but they'll do you until you've learnt quite a lot. When you realise your lenses aren't going to get the shot you want to take, you know it's time to upgrade. I have a few lenses on my want list but for the most part, they're more expensive than my camera body.

I am a "Nikon" person, have a D80 which has been superseded now. When I purchased my camera I bought the body only & splashed out on a 18-200mm lens. This is a great lens which allows a range of shots without changing lenses. Ideal if you are travelling, can't afford multiple lenses to start with or don't like carrying a lot of paraphernalia around :eek:

I read copious amounts of info on the net before making my final decision & also tried out several cameras in local retail stockists. It is important that you like the feel of the camera in your hands as well as what it produces.

I bought my camera, lens & other gear from Cameras Direct; they offer helpful advice over the phone, are competitive as regards price & their website is informative.

So start saving & start reading :nahnah:

I did quite a bit of looking around and pricing up before I bought my 450D a few months ago, love it & so far and havent outgrown it yet at all! Still much to learn! :hug: I ended up getting mine from Ryda- Paid $1276 for 450D with twin lens kit http://www.ryda.com.au/Canon-Digital-SLR-Cameras-s/836.htm, but also looked at http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/ which were going for the same price.

I read someone else on here (Cant remember who for the life of me!) got the 450D at JB hifi for about $40 less than I paid @ Ryda. I wish i went to JB hifi now with my print outs from other shops/price to negotiate a better deal! I have done great deals with JB hifi in the past on other things, they are super super competitive!

Hi there

I've done a few photography courses over the past couple of years and I'm not a pro but I do photography a fair bit and have done lots of reseach. Everyone I spoke with recommended just buying a body and lenses separately.

I have a Canon 40D and I purchased the body separately as the lenses that come with it are pretty basic - it was about $1200 just for the body. I then purchased two lenses a 50mm (which is only about $150.00) and a 24-70mm which is much more expensive and about $1700. I've bought everything from Cameras Direct www.camerasdirect.com.au and they are fantastic to deal with.

It's a brilliant camera and it truly is the lens that make the difference though - it's all about the lenses!!! A good lens is worth every cent to get that beautiful clarity. I definitely wouldn't say the 40D is a beginner camera though, you sort of need to have some knowledge before using it but I would say it's a camera you can grow into.

Hope this helps! :)

Im not sure if the Canon People will agree, but some of their kit lenses are fairly shit. Nikon are more expensive but they seem to have fairly decent kit lenses. I bought a Nikon D300, which is not entry level, but it came with the 18-200. Its a great lens. There is also a massive difference in quality of the Nikon 50mm 1.8 and the Canon 50.

For you in the Nikon Range I would suggest a D80 or D90 andd grab a 18-200 VR as a kit lens. Its a really really really versitile lens and you probably wont need another lens for a good while till you develop some kind of need. Have a look at Nikon on Broadway in Sydney www.nikononbroadway.com.au They ship and are competitive.