Indestructible Dog Bed

Pixie's mum

Hi

We have a 3 year old female bulldog and a 1 year old male. Our male, Fergus, has eaten his bed again. This time it was a futon that we had a canvas cover especially made for. He does get a small walk each day though he has elbow dysplasia and we are unable to exercise him enough to stop his destruction.

Any suggestions for an indestructible dog bed?

Anyone tried sheepskin? Will he eat that as well?

Thanks

Thanks Fiona

I did a search and they came up, though it seems very similar to the futon with the custom made cover so I'm not sure if we will have anymore success with it. Thought the canvas cover was a great idea ($160) and would last forever - he destroyed it completely within 3 weeks.

Hi

We have a 3 year old female bulldog and a 1 year old male. Our male, Fergus, has eaten his bed again. This time it was a futon that we had a canvas cover especially made for. He does get a small walk each day though he has elbow dysplasia and we are unable to exercise him enough to stop his destruction.

Any suggestions for an indestructible dog bed?

Anyone tried sheepskin? Will he eat that as well?

Thanks

My boy Kody would destroy any bed he was given either by chewing it or digging through it! :D I went through hundreds of dollars on supposedly chew resistant beds, as they were not chew proof only chew resistant!

I finally stumbled upon Kennel Solutions who supply Kuranda Dog Beds. I purchased the Polyresin bed (you can also get Aluminium) with a Ballistic nylon fabric. I have had the bed for about six months now and it is still in tip top condition. Kody has tried to dig through it without success and any signs of stress or sagging on the fabric. You can purchase vinyl fabric which is even stronger than the Ballistic nylon.

I can not recommend Kennel Solutions or the Kuranda Dog Beds highly enough. The service I received from the company was exceptional.

I was hesitant at spending so much on a dog bed seeing I had already wasted a lot of money on beds which would last less than a week. I contacted the company with all my questions and concerns before purchasing the bed, and they responded to me very quickly. They even called me to ensure that I would be home to take delivery of the bed before they posted it, with the option to change the delivery address to an alternative if required. As they didn’t have the Ballistic nylon in stock they even ordered the mat specifically for me from the USA supplier.

I couldn't be happier with my purchase. Definitely money well spent. I think there is a 1 year chew proof guarantee also on the bed. I did ask if they supplied the mats separately in case Kody chewed through it. I was told that they could, however have not had to replace a mat as yet.

The only thing that I would change is that I would probably order the xx large as Kody is a big boy and likes to stretch out a bit. Having said that though the xlarge is a probably a good size for a female shepherd or a slightly smaller male shepherd like my parents have. My parents are expecting the arrival of a new female shepherd this week :confused: and I will be ordering the xxlarge Kuranda Dog bed for my boy and giving them Kody's current bed.

Check them out http://www.kennelsolutions.com.au/about/ku...a_dog_beds.html

Thanks GeckoTree

Sounds like he would eat it anyway.

after losing countless dog beds I have filled a single quilt cover with straw. sew the end up with twine to make sure it is secure.

And as a bonus, you can put the broken down straw on the garden as mulch when it is flat and refill with fresh straw again :laugh:

• 7 months later...

You may also want to visit www.dogbedsgalore.com.au - they have a free download of boredom busters. The lady who runs the site is also a dog trainer and she told me this type of behaviour is often boredom so the boredom busters are a way to redirect the behaviour. We used some of these with our dog and it worked really well. She also has some chewproof dog beds at this link http://www.dogbedsgalore.com.au/chewproof which is how we found her site - we bought the D1000 and it's been great!

Please do NOT use areogard or similar on a bed :cry:

remember, dog noses are a lot more sensitive than ours- and if the smell keeps the dog away and stops it wanting to chew- then sleeping with it for hours would not be a pleasant experience :cry:

Opshop blankets/baby blankets/towels/quilts are cheap as- and may not present the 'challenge' of ripping and scattering stuffing :cry: They can also be tossed if grotty.

Opshop stuff is great:) I try & avoid the really nice blankets, etc - figure there are people who could benefit- but a lot of quilte/mattress protectors are terrific. Our op shop sells 'de wired' electric blankets - wool, a good size, and much appreciated :cry: