Spca Out Rage At Dogs Deaths Nz

tybrax

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2765131/SP...d-at-dog-deaths

The SPCA is appalled the Invercargill City Council killed six "harmless" rottweiler puppies yesterday because of their breed, while the dogs' aggressive mother was returned to its owners for a fee.

The Southland Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals is also upset it was effectively used as a "death row for dogs" after the council housed the puppies in its kennels last week.

Council chief executive Richard King said the dogs were impounded last Tuesday after the mother was found barking at schoolchilden in Elles Rd as the pups wandered around unchecked.

The pups were given a lethal injection by animal control yesterday because the council considered rottweilers dangerous, Mr King said, despite them only being six weeks old.

However, the puppies mother, which was now classed as "menacing" by the council, was given back to its owners because they paid an $80 fee, he said.

It was also the opinion of the council's animal rangers that the puppies owners were not good owners, he said.

Royal New Zealand SPCA national chief executive Robyn Kippenberger was disgusted the council went ahead with the killings despite its offer to find new homes for the puppies or move them out of Invercargill.

"This council's way of deciding what lives and what dies is appalling."

"The fact they can wrench these puppies away from an SPCA that's prepared to look after them, and merrily execute them is rubbish," she said.

Ms Kippenberger said there was plenty of research that disproved the idea rottweilers were inherently dangerous.

"It's senseless killing because if they're put in a home with good owners then they're harmless," she said.

Mr King said the decision to destroy the puppies was also based on the fact the owners did not want them back.

"In general, rottweilers tend to be quite dangerous dogs. The puppies might look nice and fluffy at that age but they don't stay that way for long," he said.

"In this particular case, we felt the SPCA could not find suitable homes for them."

Mr King stood by the council's dog control policy despite the fact a dog it considered to be menacing was returned to its owners.

"The dog was returned on the condition it is microchiped, kept in a secure environment and muzzled when outside."

Desexing was not a requirement but was under consideration, he said.

Mr King said he was not made aware of Ms Kippenberger's offer to move the puppies from Invercargill until after they were dead.

He was not aware any potential owners had been found by the Southland SPCA, he said.

However, Southland SPCA chairwoman Rachel Hucklebridge said two people offered to take a puppy each last week but were turned down by the council.

Ad Feedback She was concerned about the impact on her staff if the council continued to use its kennels to house animals before killing them, she said.

"I'm very concerned about putting our staff through that sort of torture.

"We're there to save animals and won't be turned into a death row."

Mr King said the council had put down about one dog per month for as long as he could remember from those it paid to house at the SPCA.

The Southland, Gore and Queenstown Lakes District Councils all said they did not have a policy of destroying potentially dangerous animal breeds when contacted by The Southland Times

tybrax :hug:

"In general, rottweilers tend to be quite dangerous dogs. The puppies might look nice and fluffy at that age but they don't stay that way for long," he said.

"In this particular case, we felt the SPCA could not find suitable homes for them."

They were six week old puppies for god sake!!!!!! How could you NOT find suitable homes for them??

The owners are responsible for this tragedy because as usual they left someone else to sort out their byb litter!!

Go read the pound threads here, hundreds of dogs are pts every day due to stupid people. If these dogs were not pups it would not have made the news! Yet another reason why desexing should be compulsory!!

The owners are responsible for this tragedy because as usual they left someone else to sort out their byb litter!!

Go read the pound threads here, hundreds of dogs are pts every day due to stupid people. If these dogs were not pups it would not have made the news! Yet another reason why desexing should be compulsory!!

Yes, owners were Irresponsible, BUT and I repeat BUT these poor pups were not even given a chance to be re homed, and that's the point of It all

And I do read the pound threads, yes many are PTS, but most are given a chance again to be RE HOMED!!!

RnB if the dogs involved were not pups then most people wouldn't be so outraged by this.

Irrelevant! As you know newspapers write what sell. I'm sure the SPCA would still be outraged If they were adults with no problems who were PTS because of breed, and not given a chance to be re homed, and so would many others

RnB if the dogs involved were not pups then most people wouldn't be so outraged by this.

Irrelevant! As you know newspapers write what sell. I'm sure the SPCA would still be outraged If they were adults with no problems who were PTS because of breed, and not given a chance to be re homed, and so would many others

Its just a systemactic slaughter of innocent pups, and its disgusting. :)

It is a sad situation and being dog lovers preservation of life far outweighs the alternative, but there is a line and not every dog can be saved and rehomed. A classic litter of BYB Rotties not even the owners want...............health checks, genetics, temperament, who's the sire, hip scores etc etc. Is that the right place to obtain a Rotty pup for the best opportunity to adopt a quality dog???.

What's right or wrong in these instances is a very hard call :hug:

It is a sad situation and being dog lovers preservation of life far outweighs the alternative, but there is a line and not every dog can be saved and rehomed. A classic litter of BYB Rotties not even the owners want...............health checks, genetics, temperament, who's the sire, hip scores etc etc. Is that the right place to obtain a Rotty pup for the best opportunity to adopt a quality dog???.

What's right or wrong in these instances is a very hard call :laugh:

You could say the same for any animal that is in rescue or in the pound for sale, using your thinking they should all be PTS

The fact of the matter is that these pups were destroyed because of their BREED and nothing more.

BSL plain, simple and disgusting.

What's right or wrong in these instances is a very hard call :rofl:

gee I wonder about people sometimes

What's right or wrong in these instances is a very hard call :rofl:

Me too Rusky...Me too :rofl:

It seems the real message behind this all Is just not getting through to most

It's been said, and I'll say it again, these pups were pts because of BREED!

What's right or wrong in these instances is a very hard call :laugh:

Me too Rusky...Me too :)

It seems the real message behind this all Is just not getting through to most

It's been said, and I'll say it again, these pups were pts because of BREED!

I too agree the real message isn't getting across...especially as there's no mention of them even being 'BYB' it simply states they were PTS due to the fact they considered 'Rottweillers' in general tend to be quite dangerous!!

From what I've read I'd be more inclined to think the owners were Back Yard Bred!!

Edited by bluecollie

When I was volunteering at a large Sydney pound, the very new, very inexperienced GM (but a legend in his own mind) asked one of the councils the pound serviced to clarify for him the laws regarding rehoming of impounded and unclaimed Pitbulls. In his email correspondence with the council member he said something along the lines that he couldn't understand why people would want these dogs anyway.

So it is a pretty poor state of affairs when you have that sort of mentality operating in places where animals can live or die on someone's personal whim, like or dislike.

"In general Rottweilers tend to be quite dangerous dogs." :rofl: :D

Tell me MR. King what knowledge do you possess of this breed, it seems only what you've read in newspapers me thinks. :(:)

It's morons like you that give this wonderful breed a bad name. :thumbsup: Are you and your Dickhead council so scared of Rotties you murder 6 wk old pups. :):) ;) May you rot in hell. :thumbsup: