Advice On Pulling Pup

hi guys,

phin is now 5 months old and he is quite the strong one (english setter)

he seems to think that pulling is the way to go. i just wanted to know if you guys had any advice or stories, not particularly interested in using a halti yet because from what i have heard is that they will only stop when on it so i would have to have him on a halti whenever. because they can become dependant on them.

i want to get him used to loose lead walking. i suppose the best way to start is in the house because there is no distractions but i need some guidance.

K9 Force, any suggestions?!??!?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

alainnah :thumbsup:

Edited by Alainnah

Hi All

I use Halti's, Gentle Leaders and would be without them. I actually now use both lead and leader's.

Maybe using both at the same time? Halti/Gentle to keep control and chocker chain so the dog gets use to it and being by your side at the same time.

My bitch pulled till we were both blue in the face, no amount of training would convince this girl not to pull. I ended up hating our walks, ha drag race. A trainer got me onto the leaders, haven't looked back since. As she aged I occationally put her on a chocker chain, now she walks by my side. Unless there's another one of our dogs with us, she thinks she has to be out front, then the race is on. The marvels of being top dog.

Hope this is of some assistance.................. :thumbsup:

my boy is just over 9 months and ive been using ahalti on him since about 4 months as well as training on a choke chain for obedience and show but for the last month or so i have been putting his halti on and attaching the lead to his collar - no pulling eventually i will try removing the halti all together but hes still so excited everytime were out following scents and trying to play with other dogs - i put it down to an age thing and hopefully hell settle down a bit more by 18 months

we used to walk our setter on a halti ever since i was little - he was v scatty but eventually we prob could have removed it he walked beautifully ( i was only little)

i know K9 force will say dont use a halti but many people use them and many people dont its up to u

good luck - Phins gorgeous!!

Had the same problem. Its true the head halters only solve the problem when they are on, but i found using one (blackdog - though we tried them all, but this was the only type he could not back out of) i could walk the dog and enjoy it. However i continued to train him without the halter - just a flat collar and clicker. Now he does not need the head halter we just use it if i take him somewhere new where we may run into loose dogs, just to be sure i have control.

NB. i recommend attaching a second collar when you first use the head halters, either you can get a strap that attaches the halter to the normal collar, or i just put on a long check chain and attached both halter an chain to the lead. the check chain being loose enough to not actually tighten at all. Its just insurance if your dog pull out of the halters backwards, (mine used to panic at the sight of another dog and turn somersaults to get away).

I think it all depends if you are prepared for the POSSIBILITY that you will always have to walk your dog on a halti/Gentle Leader, or if you are prepared to put some (or a lot of) extra work in NOW.

I have a 7-year old boy who was put on a halti at the beginning of his first obedience lesson at 16 weeks, by a well-known trainer/behaviorist.

He is a very obedient dog now, and we have tried many times (under the strict guidance of that trainer) to wean him off it, but sooner or later he started pulling again.

Oh, he stopped immediately if we corrected or told him, but there was ALWAYS this incredible tension when we knew that all he was thinking about was, if it would be worthwhile for him trying to pull "just a tiny bit".

So, finally we decided that our beloved boy will be on a GL (I much prefer it to the halti) for the rest of his life, because we were just not willing to have him ruin our otherwise perfectly relaxed walks anymore.

My girl whose breed has been selected for pulling for centuries, was even worse as a puppy, but after my experience with my boy there was NO WAY that I would have allowed a head halter on her.

I have never worked as hard with any dog in my life, but now I'm walking her on a fabric half-check collar without any problems.

I used the "we don't make a step unless the lead is loose" method, combined with the "no pull" command and also some treats.

Cumulatively I must have been standing around on footpaths and fields for days or even weeks, but one day it finally clicked and my sweet girl realized that we actually go somewhere if "we" don't pull. :rolleyes:

Best of luck!

Edited by cat

What methods have you tried already? The halti without all the usual methods of training is going to be useless because then all you will have is a dog who pulls when he doesn't wear a halti. You need to train the dog not to pull.

So what have you tried?

I like the safe use of halti but many people need lessons in how to use it. Akita and dog day do as I like to do with the halti but it isn't a single solution.

The halti without all the usual methods of training is going to be useless because then all you will have is a dog who pulls when he doesn't wear a halti. You need to train the dog not to pull.

I absolutely agree.

I have seen dogs who first had to learn how to walk on a halti and then later were successfully weaned off them.

Problem is when you have a clever dog, who like mine pulled only ONCE with a halti on and realized that there was no use to pull anymore.

After that he walked like a lamb and we were all very happy. :rolleyes:

The question is, how are you going to train not to pull, when they aren't pulling in the first place?

You only get the surprise of your life when you put another collar on these rascals and they rediscover their own strength...

So, maybe a good indication that you will later be able to successfully wean them off, could be if you actually have to teach them how to walk properly with the halti on? :D

:rofl:

I only went to the head halters because i had reached the stage of literally hating taking my dog for a walk. He is very strong, and his pulling was a misery, even after the walk i had pains across my shoulders for the entire day and my hand bruised from holding onto the lead. I had reached the point where i did not know if i could even walk him safely, as i wasnt sure i could hold on to him. He had been to obedience schools from 12weeks (3 schools in total) all of whom used food reward and check chain. I know K9force will say the check chain was used incorrectly, and he is probably right, but like i say this was 3 different schools/trainers.

With the halter i never pulled the dog, he quickly worked out that trying to pull simply turned him around and he did not get where he wanted. At the same time of starting the halter i looked for a new trainer, this time for one-on-one training, and chose one who uses clicker. In a flat collar, with clicker, using left turns, and stopping if he moved ahead, the dog very quickly learned. I never trained with the halter on. He heeled reliably under distraction within 2 weeks in just a flat collar, working him maybe 15 minutes a day.

I just want to emphasise the halter is not a cure, but it allows you to keep the dog exercised while you find the cure. I feel that whatever method you have tried up to that point has not worked, try something different.

Edited by dogdayz

hey guys,

thanks for all your replies, they have been very helpful.

is it true that they jump around and go crazy for a bit until they are used to the halti.?

unsure whether to go to a trainer, get a halti or a gentle leader. he is still young and i thnk it would be best to stop his habbit whilst young so we can both have very enjoyable lives afterwards.

alainnah

if u can avoid using a halti i would try to maybe try a limited check - as many say haltis can become a pain but they can be a useful 'quick fix' until further training can take place

some dogs seem to go a bit crazy when its first put on only because they dont know what it is - but encouragement and making sure nice things happen when its on are the way to go - playing with it on and giving treats and dinner - but its not uncommon for dogs to go into a 'crocodile death roll'!! but i found as soon as he was out on the street too many other things to be interested in...

you need to train your dog not to pull but I am still not sure what methods you have tried. I did ask you but maybe you didn't read the post.

Try this

is not heeling but a pleasant walk for you, well eventually. :D

Keep dpg on your left side anyway and still walk off with left foot so dog gets used to which foot to follow.

Then use food to lure pup to stay at your side, try for a few mins, reward for not pulling. Keep food in your left hand, just a little to sniff and follow, not to gobble up. Give a tit bit of food if the dog walks nicely, none and no praise if it doesn't.

If dog jumps up stop, say nothing, walk using the method below.

Then try just walking allowing the dog to sniff but not to pull, soon as dog pulls you stop, then you immediately change direction. Soon as dog pulls you stop and change direction again.

You need a nice lead, not a cheap plastic red dot dime store special. Generally dog clubs do sell nice leads, they are cheap, you need something which doesn't burn your hand.

This stop and go method can mean it takes you half an hour to get down the driveway, it confuses the dog too. Do not use a halti whilst using this method.

When the dog has stopped pulling again try food lure rewards for staying at your side, with masses of praise.

Hope this helps a little, there are many methods, these are the 2 easiest to explain.

Good Luck :rolleyes:

ooooo, sorry will tell you about what i have tried previously:

the whole 'tree' thing. not moving with feet rooted to the ground and he might get the idea for a second but when i take one step at the most he goes back to the whole pulling thing.

unsure whether to go to a trainer, get a halti or a gentle leader. he is still young and i thnk it would be best to stop his habbit whilst young so we can both have very enjoyable lives afterwards.

Hello Alainnah,

Whereabouts are you in Melbourne?

I would suggest looking on the Delta Website for trainers in the Melbourne area at

www.deltasocietyaustralia.com.au/ and look under Instructors by State.

There are many ways to teach a dog not to pull - "quick fixes" which can be hard on the dog or the use of motivational methods which make the dog a happy participant.

It's up to you!

Cheers

Henrynchlo.

Alainnah,

if you are happy to give the check chain a go (not everyone is) then try and get a copy of 'The Koehler Method of Dog Training.' You might find a copy at your local library or if not you can get second hand copies at Amazon or other online bookstores. Follow the method exactly and the problem should be solved within a week or two.

pgm

found someone in pascoe vale south.

anyone heard of 'a perfect spot dog training' theres a name with it: Jenny pearce

Hi Alainnah,

If they are on that website, the dog trainers have done a Cert. !V in Dog Training using motivational methods and have a good grounding in dog behaviour.

I have heard good reports of Jenny Pearce. I'm sure she would give you some help to start off life with your new puppy! :)

Good luck! Start out as you mean to continue!

Henrynchlo.