Advice On Pulling Pup

what does the gentle leader look like?

Hi Alainnah!

I would suggest you get someone with experience in using any of these "props" such as gentle leaders, haltis, etc..

Like any piece of equipment they can be misused. I know of one person who has used a prong collar on the dog for years and the dog still pulls through it, sooo! take care!

You've got to look at why the dog pulls and get around the behaviour before you try to remedy it, by that I mean "hey! there's a big world out there - lemme at it!" It's called motivation and we've got to deliver a much better reason to be with us

I suggest you contact the trainer you mentioned before who uses motivational methods or, if you're close enough or don't want to use a private trainer, go to Keilor Obedience Dog Club. They will be able to help you too!

:rofl::)

yeah, that was one of my concerns, i wouldn't want to be using any of these unless i knew the right way.

so is keilor obedience dog club reccomended??

I would recommend Keilor Obedience Club for using gentle methods that work, otherwise try Jenny Pearce, the trainer you found on the Delta Website.

I don't know about Preston, but Northcote has an obedience club.

In my experience, a lot of Obedience Clubs teach you to walk on a lead but in LARGE numbers and beginners don't necessarily get the help they need, especially with equipment like gentle leaders, check chains (not recommended) or other equipment of the like.

If you can, use a private trainer, at least in the beginning.

Cheers

Henrynchlo

yeah thats what i thought

with my older dog, the border collie we used to go to the northern obedience dog club at aberfeldie (sp). but we didnt stay there for too long because they didnt give me much attention or were very helpful. mainly because i was the only kid there and the class was rather large.

i willl check out keilor obedience club. are you in melbourne? if so whereabouts, if you dont mind me asking :)

i willl check out keilor obedience club. are you in melbourne? if so whereabouts, if you dont mind me asking :rofl:

Hello Alainnah,

I'm down on the Mornington Peninsula which is quite a distance <g> from you!

I was looking through my bookcase and found The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training by Pamela Dennison ISBN 0-02-864463-8 published by Alpha.

You may have seen other books in this series - computers - software etc..

The book is great because it explains all sorts of problems including the one you have, and how to deal with them.

I bought the book at Angus & Robertson in Melbourne. (Ask someone to give it to you for Christmas <gg>)

Over the Christmas holidays, it will be a great way to start and then you will be ahead of the rest of them when you get to Keilor Ob. Club.

Good luck :)

Henrynchlo.

hi guys,

phin is now 5 months old and he is quite the strong one (english setter)

he seems to think that pulling is the way to go. i just wanted to know if you guys had any advice or stories, not particularly interested in using a halti yet because from what i have heard is that they will only stop when on it so i would have to have him on a halti whenever. because they can become dependant on them.

i want to get him used to loose lead walking. i suppose the best way to start is in the house because there is no distractions but i need some guidance.

K9 Force, any suggestions?!??!?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

alainnah :rolleyes:

Here we have a setter!!!! Lovely dogs but boy oh boy do they have noses on them and how they love to follow a scent.

From my experience you cannot train a setter as you would an average non gundog, or a retriever like a labrador or golden.

Your standards have to be very high.

I will be back, friends just dropped in.

I hope, I make sense after a few Christmas wines.

From my experience with Setters, which is fleeting, but interesting all the same to me, they are a breed that depending on their lines (working/show) can be difficult to train using classic methods. For example, obedience titled UD setters in the ring were a sight to behold. In open paddocks or in their yards were uncontrollable.

We also have working setters in the field used in Setter trials, where their game finding ability at very long distances was the most important requirement.

Depending on your dog, I still think the basic known, then reinforced commands with a very high FAIR standard need to be applied.

Not all breeds are born/or should be trained equal, let alone with their own individual personalities. They all have natural instincts which we as their keepers need to keep in mind.

lol, thanks lablover!

took phin to the park on the weekend. and there we have it, a non-stop 20 minute chase of some swallows. they like to tease those birds!!

henrynchlo im going into the city tomorrow so will drop past angus and robertson to have alook for the book.

henrynchlo im going into the city tomorrow so will drop past angus and robertson to have alook for the book.

Good for you!

If they haven't got it in stock, ask them to track it down for you!

It may seem expensive but, to my mind, it's worth it because - if you take other advice, you have a bigger problem!

cheers

Henrynchlo