Norwegian Elkhound

Troy

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heya

Odin-Genie I have an elkhound and I am in Sydney - I love the idea of an Elkhound get together - is there ever such an event???

My Elkhound is 5-months old and I have gone out of my way to expose him to children of all ages and babies (closely supervised) can I just say even as a puppy he instinctively knows how to modify his behaviour around small children

I took him round to my parents when my cousins were ovet with a 8 month old baby and he was soooo good!

They were sitting on the floor together and he never jumped or licked or anything near the baby - just watched him as he played

He really reads a situation well and if I say to him - be careful or be gentle he will follow my lead and look to me before he engages in play with a child - he is constantly looking to me for approval before he interracts

When the girl next door comes over to play he never jumps on her and is really good - he will do tricks for treats and play fetch and just plays really well

For his size and age it is amazing that he has such great self control - my family breeds dachshunds and to be fair they are kenneled show dogs - not pets - but everytime I took kids in to play with them they would be knocked over by an overzealous jump up everytime.

So from my *very little* experience I have to say they are great with kids

Sugee, I will be seeing his breeder soon and I will let her know how well Machida is doing.

Edited by Norskgra

Although I do agree with you MM, about health testing, I just want to say again that health testing in Elkhounds is not compulsorary in Australia. Due to prior experience, I swore 33 years ago I would health test my dogs. It is up to the breeder to do what they believe is right. This may be to health test or it may not.

Ethical breeders health check their dogs because they WANT to and because they really care about their breed, not because a governing body requires them to do so.

Health checking is the right thing to do in ANY breed. It's important to teach prospective puppy buyers to do their homework before choosing a breeder and that health certifications vary from breed to breed. No line or breed is free from health problems. Breeders who do not test are dodgy.

Heya

Odin-Genie I have an elkhound and I am in Sydney - I love the idea of an Elkhound get together - is there ever such an event???

My Elkhound is 5-months old and I have gone out of my way to expose him to children of all ages and babies (closely supervised) can I just say even as a puppy he instinctively knows how to modify his behaviour around small children

I took him round to my parents when my cousins were ovet with a 8 month old baby and he was soooo good!

They were sitting on the floor together and he never jumped or licked or anything near the baby - just watched him as he played

He really reads a situation well and if I say to him - be careful or be gentle he will follow my lead and look to me before he engages in play with a child - he is constantly looking to me for approval before he interracts

When the girl next door comes over to play he never jumps on her and is really good - he will do tricks for treats and play fetch and just plays really well

For his size and age it is amazing that he has such great self control - my family breeds dachshunds and to be fair they are kenneled show dogs - not pets - but everytime I took kids in to play with them they would be knocked over by an overzealous jump up everytime.

We can always organise an elky meet :shrug: I am in Mount Colah. Are you anywhere close?

Odin - Genie - I am located in the Sutherland Shire - so not close at all :)

Maybe we can find a mid-way point for a Sydney elkhound meet and greet?

Norskra - thanks for passing on the updates to Machida's breeder. I try to send photos and updates on the regular - she has been so helpful as I have been asking a ton of questions...

I have to say that all of the Elkhound breeders I have contacted have gone out of their way to make time to answer my questions as well as helping me find my elkhound baby

I spent over 6 months researching and contacting breeders and I greatly appreciated all of the assistance and support I got from everyone I spoke to!!

Norskra - thanks for passing on the updates to Machida's breeder. I try to send photos and updates on the regular - she has been so helpful as I have been asking a ton of questions...

Machida's breeders are lovely. I saw his sister again, the weekend before last. She is very cute and looks very much like my youngest girl. That is not surprising really. My youngest girl's sire is related to Machida. His dam is a sister from a previous mating to Machilda's litter.

Edited by Norskgra

Heya

We can always organise an elky meet :D I am in Mount Colah. Are you anywhere close?

Odin - Genie - I am located in the Sutherland Shire - so not close at all :D

Maybe we can find a mid-way point for a Sydney elkhound meet and greet?

I have to say that all of the Elkhound breeders I have contacted have gone out of their way to make time to answer my questions as well as helping me find my elkhound baby

I spent over 6 months researching and contacting breeders and I greatly appreciated all of the assistance and support I got from everyone I spoke to!!

Odin-Genie,

We are going to be at the Christmas show on the 19th December. Hopefully our newest elkie member, SUGEE76 can join us at Erskine Park, you should bring Odin around to see his sister and brother :rofl: There will be a a few elkies there that I'm aware of Cepercat and Ratty500 will be there I'm sure they told me on the weekend. So a few will be there.

Show starts at 4pm I think. If you want I can email you the information :rofl:

Maybe even convince Saral to bring Elky :heart:

Elkie1 - will definitely try to get there on the 19th

I am due to spend some quality time with dad and the Dachshunds - as they have been ignored since the day my puppy arrived (and are probably not talking to me anymore)

What is it about the elkhound that is so intoxicating?

I never want to leave Machida's side - I have never felt so strongly about a dog before...I spend all my time at home with him and if I can't take him somewhere I make excuses not to go so I can stay home with him...

Of a Sunday night I get upset because I will have to go to work the next day and leave him behind (if I could find a way to sneak him into work of a day I so would) :laugh:

It doesn't matter what happened at the office that day or how stressed out I am when I walk through the front door of a night to see his little waggly tail - it just makes my day! (all is forgotten)

I am due to spend some quality time with dad and the Dachshunds - as they have been ignored since the day my puppy arrived (and are probably not talking to me anymore)

I never want to leave Machida's side - I have never felt so strongly about a dog before...I spend all my time at home with him and if I can't take him somewhere I make excuses not to go so I can stay home with him...

Of a Sunday night I get upset because I will have to go to work the next day and leave him behind (if I could find a way to sneak him into work of a day I so would) :laugh:

It doesn't matter what happened at the office that day or how stressed out I am when I walk through the front door of a night to see his little waggly tail - it just makes my day! (all is forgotten)

My Elkhounds are all the same. That is why I love them so much.

:thumbsup: Hi, me again!

I have another couple of questions. :cry:

Its been mentioned that training an Elkie is tricky. I'd like to know how tricky. Could a merely competent person train them?

Are they food driven?

Is it possible to train a good recall in them?

:thumbsup: Hi, me again!

I have another couple of questions. :(

Its been mentioned that training an Elkie is tricky. I'd like to know how tricky. Could a merely competent person train them?

Are they food driven?

The more experienced people here can probably answer this better but based on my elky:

They pick up what needs to be done quite easily. But may not choose to do what you ask :cry:

My elky was the teacher's pet in his puppy class since he got everything quickly and did everything he was asked to do. When he got home he would act cheeky. Still does. But I personally found it easier to train him than my goldy. My goldy would take longer to understand what she is required to do. Of course once she gets it, she is quite biddable.

My elky likes food but is not food driven. When he is excited, not even fresh roasted chicken can budge him. What works in such situations is to use something equally exciting to train him.

Elkies keep pushing the limits to see what they can get away with.

:) Hi, me again!

I have another couple of questions. :rofl:

Are they food driven?

The more experienced people here can probably answer this better but based on my elky:

They pick up what needs to be done quite easily. But may not choose to do what you ask :rofl:

My elky was the teacher's pet in his puppy class since he got everything quickly and did everything he was asked to do. When he got home he would act cheeky. Still does. But I personally found it easier to train him than my goldy. My goldy would take longer to understand what she is required to do. Of course once she gets it, she is quite biddable.

My elky likes food but is not food driven. When he is excited, not even fresh roasted chicken can budge him. What works in such situations is to use something equally exciting to train him.

Hello Deelee - They are very food driven and have a "What is in it for me" attitude. Give them a reason to learn and they will :D - ETA well most after I finished ready the end of Odin-Genes psot :laugh: But most elkhounds are very food driven.

I had Bond show trained perfectly at 8 weeks of age. Three of my elkies do several tricks which took them 5 minutes to learn. They will learn if they find that there is a reason behind it.

Edited by Elkie1

Elkies are very food driven but you need to find the food they love the best. Each of mine work better with different treats. I usually make their treats. They do need to want to learn and will do anything you want them to do as long as they want to do it.

:rofl: Hi, me again!

I have another couple of questions. :rofl:

Are they food driven?

They pick up what needs to be done quite easily. But may not choose to do what you ask :laugh:

Hello Deelee - They are very food driven and have a "What is in it for me" attitude. Give them a reason to learn and they will :D

I had Bond show trained perfectly at 8 weeks of age. Three of my elkies do several tricks which took them 5 minutes to learn. They will learn if they find that there is a reason behind it.

To answer your other question, Elkies have been known for Agility and obedience also so I guess you can train a good recall in them. - one of my dogs used to come to me when I called 'Cookie" :)

Of a Sunday night I get upset because I will have to go to work the next day and leave him behind (if I could find a way to sneak him into work of a day I so would) :rofl:

I think it's their big brown eyes and cute wagging tail :) I fall to peices with my elkies. I think it is also the fact that they have their own personality and like a child, you never know what they will do next :laugh:

I'll try to be there on 19 Dec as well. But would depend on the weather. My elky doesn't cope well being outdoors on hot sunny days.

That is unusual. When we had the reccent heat wave here in Adelaide, our dogs were fine. If no one was home, they were brought inside and the air conditioner was set to come on at a certain time. If someone was home, they were left outside. They would rest in a shaded area but then go and play. They had plenty of icy water to keep them cool. When we had the really hot days, we would also pour water over them. They were happy outside.

Machida is getting used to the heat

He lies in the shade on cool concrete or he goes into the laundry and lies on the tiles or a wet towel

He has a clam shell pool but he only likes to use it if he has an attentive audience

He will paddle and dig in it and loves trying to catch leaves etc. from the bottom of the pool - but only if I am in it or close by

On Sunday he got really clever and thought he would sit in the water - but as soon as his bottom hit the cool water he got back up with a horrified look on his face and then turned around to see what was on his butt :laugh:

Clearly the water was a little too cold for his liking perhaps?

he loves to play with an icecube too - that's always fun to watch

When it got really hot I brought him inside and cranked the air con and within 5 minutes he was on his back - legs spread snoozing like an old man and very contented!

He doesn't like having his back or head wet though - so I am reluctant to douse him in the water so as not to upset or frighten him. (We are still working on his 'bath aversion')

Wet paws seem to bring the smiles back on a hot day.

Machida was also the pet of puppy class and picked up everything really quickly

I find that an excited tone and arms open wide is the best for recall - and he will come to the sound of a squeaky toy if I don't have a treat ready to go

I practiced his recall in a fenced in dog park and as long as he could hear me he came straight away - but I would never have him off leash in the open

Edited by SUGEE76