Norwegian Elkhound

Troy

I'll try to be there on 19 Dec as well. But would depend on the weather. My elky doesn't cope well being outdoors on hot sunny days.

That is unusual. When we had the reccent heat wave here in Adelaide, our dogs were fine. If no one was home, they were brought inside and the air conditioner was set to come on at a certain time. If someone was home, they were left outside. They would rest in a shaded area but then go and play. They had plenty of icy water to keep them cool. When we had the really hot days, we would also pour water over them. They were happy outside.

I guess that's because my dogs are mostly inside in a really cool lower level of the house. So they are not used to too much heat. My goldy doesn't cope well with heat either. And neither do I so they are never taken out on hot sunny days :laugh:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try to be there on 19 Dec as well. But would depend on the weather. My elky doesn't cope well being outdoors on hot sunny days.

That is unusual. When we had the reccent heat wave here in Adelaide, our dogs were fine. If no one was home, they were brought inside and the air conditioner was set to come on at a certain time. If someone was home, they were left outside. They would rest in a shaded area but then go and play. They had plenty of icy water to keep them cool. When we had the really hot days, we would also pour water over them. They were happy outside.

I guess that's because my dogs are mostly inside in a really cool lower level of the house. So they are not used to too much heat. My goldy doesn't cope well with heat either. And neither do I so they are never taken out on hot sunny days :laugh:

My puppy is adapting to the heat at the moment. He has never seen a summer so I do not know how well he will cope either. I do not do so good in extream heat at times. Hannah suffered towards the end on Sunday at the show it was around 2pm I was glad we didn't have to stay longer. After all, her immune was down as to having antibiotics for her eye.

Mishka, Emma, Tora and Adele do not suffer with the heat. I beleive it is with the individual dog if they do orr if they don't. :rofl:

And to update, Hannah's third eyellid was cut and needed ointment and antibiotics for her eye. all is cleared up now and she is doing much better :eek:

Hoping to see you there :xmaswelcome:

Edited by Elkie1

Logan is gorgeous. Beautiful photos, Ratty. They just go to show how badly Elkies get on with children. :xmaswelcome:

The cute thing is he'll grab her neck and pull her down so he can open mouth kiss her nose and he loves playing with the puppies

and thanks Norskgra he's a wonderful baby

Edited by Ratty500

what a lovely picture!

I love how they put their paws around you to hug (Machida does this too)

Elkies give the best cuddles!!!

I love our good night cuddle - I will say 'Kiss' and he will give a light peck on the cheek no slobbery licks from my elkie!! :xmaswelcome:

what a lovely picture!

I love our good night cuddle - I will say 'Kiss' and he will give a light peck on the cheek no slobbery licks from my elkie!! :)

Elkies give the best hugs and kisses. :eat:

what a lovely picture!

I love our good night cuddle - I will say 'Kiss' and he will give a light peck on the cheek no slobbery licks from my elkie!! :)

Elkies give the best hugs and kisses. :laugh:

i agree

what a lovely picture!

I love our good night cuddle - I will say 'Kiss' and he will give a light peck on the cheek no slobbery licks from my elkie!! :worship:

Elkies give the best hugs and kisses. :worship:

i agree

They are very gentle kisses and not sloppy at all.

what a lovely picture!

I love our good night cuddle - I will say 'Kiss' and he will give a light peck on the cheek no slobbery licks from my elkie!! :rofl:

Elkies give the best hugs and kisses. :rofl:

i agree

They are very gentle kisses and not sloppy at all.

I don't know, Bond gives very sloppy kisses :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Elkie 1 and Odin-Genie

I am locked in to trot Machida over to Erskine Park for the show on the 19th

Very excited to meet some fellow Elkhound owners and your furkids!

Hope all is well and you can make it also??? :D

• 2 weeks later...
Elkie 1 and Odin-Genie

I am locked in to trot Machida over to Erskine Park for the show on the 19th

Very excited to meet some fellow Elkhound owners and your furkids!

Hope all is well and you can make it also??? :rofl:

It was nice to meet you SUGEE76, And Machida also :crossfingers:

HOpefully we'll see more of you and Machida :rofl:

• 2 months later...

Greetings Elki people :laugh:

A quick, somewhat generalised question I know but.....

There are a few breeds out there that are very hard to get a show quality pup from without having to jump threw hoops of fire...

Does the Elkie tend to be like this too?

And how much would I be looking at roughly for a show potential puppy?

Thanks

Greetings Elki people :laugh:

A quick, somewhat generalised question I know but.....

There are a few breeds out there that are very hard to get a show quality pup from without having to jump threw hoops of fire...

Does the Elkie tend to be like this too?

Some breeders will want you to jump through hoops and put you through the third degree and others will sell their pups to anyone who wants one, just like most breeds

And how much would I be looking at roughly for a show potential puppy?

Elkies normally cost anywhere from $800 up depending on the breeder

Thanks

Edited by Norskgra

I WANT TO MEET OTHER ELKIE OWNERS!!!!! WAAAAAHHHHHH

:laugh:

Just wanted to pop in and brag, ohhh I mean tell everyone, that Milla and Viking started herding training last Saturday. OMG they were like pros!!! Even gave the Border Collies a bit of a run for their money!! :rofl:

We are entered for our herding intinct certificates on Sunday so fingers crossed they work as well as they did on Saturday!!

Will post pictures when I get home. Also got some video of it, just need to work out youtube!! :rofl:

I should have worded that first question a little better now I realise, I think I came across the wrong way :rofl:

I understand that it happens in most breeds, I have just found that in the slightly less common breeds it can be a bit harder.

Thanks Norskgra. :laugh:

I should have worded that first question a little better now I realise, I think I came across the wrong way :rofl:

I understand that it happens in most breeds, I have just found that in the slightly less common breeds it can be a bit harder.

Thanks Norskgra. :laugh:

I wouldn't say it was any harder to purchase an Elkie show potential puppy than other breeds. You might have to wait a little while but you will get one.

I should have worded that first question a little better now I realise, I think I came across the wrong way :laugh:

Thanks Norskgra. :rofl:

I wouldn't say it was any harder to purchase an Elkie show potential puppy than other breeds. You might have to wait a little while but you will get one.

Awsome.

Well at this point time is all I have so waiting isnt an issue. :rofl:

Thanks again :)

Edited by Wolfsong