Neapolitan Mastiff

Troy

The Neapolitan Mastiff

ANKC Standard

(from http://www.ankc.org.au/home/breeds_details.asp?bid=20 )

Group: Group 6 (Utility)

General Appearance: A heavy, massive, thick-set dog of great size, whose length of body exceeds its height at the withers.

Important Proportions: The length of the body is 10% more than its height at the withers. Length of head is equal to 30% of the height at the withers. The ratio of length of skull to muzzle is as 2 is to 1.

Characteristics: [see General Appearance, Temperament and Gait/Movement].

Temperament: Steady and loyal in character, not aggressive nor liable to bite without reason, a defender of property and its inhabitants, he is always vigilant, intelligent, noble and majestic.

Head And Skull: The head is short and massive, with a broad skull at the level of the zygomatic arches; its length is approximately 30% of its height at the withers. Abundant skin with wrinkles and folds, of which the most typical and most marked extends from the outer corner of the eyes down to the corner of the lips. The planes of the skull and of the muzzle are parallel.

Skull: The skull is broad, flat, particularly between the ears, and, seen from the front, slightly convex in the fore part. The width between the cheekbones is more than half the length of the head. The cheekbones are very prominent but covered with flat muscles. The brows are well developed; the frontal furrow is pronounced; the occipital crest is barely visible.

Stop - Pronounced.

Foreface - Nose - As an extension of the topline of the muzzle, it must not protrude beyond the outer, vertical line of the lips., It must be large with large, well-opened nostrils. Its colour is according to the colour of the coat; black for black dogs, dark grey-brown in dogs of other colours and chestnut for brown coats.

Muzzle - Is very wide and deep; its length corresponds to that of the foreface and must be one third of the length of the whole head. The sides are parallel to each other, so that, seen from the front, the shape of the muzzle appears to be practically square.

Lips - Fleshy, thick and full, the upper lips, seen from the front, form an inverted "V" at their junction. The lower profile of the muzzle is formed by the upper lips; their lowest part is the corner of the lips with its visible mucous membranes and situated on the vertical line dropped from the outer corner of the eye.

Jaws - Powerful, with strong jaw bones and dental arches which join perfectly. The lower jaw must be well developed in width.

Eyes: Forward facing, they are set well apart from each other; almost round; slightly deep set. The colour of the iris is darker than the colour of the coat. The colour may, however, be lighter in coats of diluted shades.

Ears: Small in relation to the size of the dog, triangular in shape, they are flat, held close to the cheeks and set above the zygomatic arch. When they are cropped, they have the shape of an equilateral triangle. [Note: Dogs with cropped ears may not be exhibited in Australia.]

Mouth: Teeth are white, well developed, well aligned and complete in number. Scissor bite, (i.e. the upper incisors closely overlap the lower incisors in close contact and set upright in the jaws,) or pincer bite (i.e. the upper incisors meet edge to edge with the lower incisors.).

Neck: Is slightly arched. Rather short in length, it measures about 28%of the height at the withers. Blunt cone shaped, it is well muscled. At mid-length, the circumference is about equal to 8 tenths of the height at the withers. The lower edge of the neck is replete with loose skin which forms a double dewlap, well separated but not exaggerated; it starts at the level of the lower jaw and does not extend beyond the middle of the neck.

Forequarters: On the whole, the forelegs from the ground to the point of elbow, seen from the side and from the front, are vertical with strong bones in proportion to the size of the dog.

Shoulders - The length of the shoulders are about three tenths of the height at the withers. They are angled at about 50 - 60 degrees from the horizontal. The muscles are well developed, long and well defined. The angulation of the point of shoulder is from 105 - 115 degrees.

Upper arm - The length is about 30% of the height at the withers, its angulation from the horizontal is from 55 - 60 degrees and it is furnished with significant musculature.

Elbows - are covered with abundant, loose skin; they are held not too close to the chest.

Forearm - length is almost equal to that of the upper arm. Placed in perfectly vertical position, strongly boned with lean and well developed muscles.

Pastern joint - Broad, lean, and smooth, continues the vertical line of the forearm.

Pastern - Flat, it continues the vertical line of the forearm. Its angulation from the horizontal towards the front is between 70 to 75 degrees. Its length is equal to about one sixth of the length of the leg from the ground to the elbow.

Body: The length of the body exceeds the height at the withers by 10%.

The topline is straight; the withers are wide, long and not very prominent.

The back is broad and in length about one third of the height at the withers.

The loin must be smoothly connected to the back , muscular and wide.

The rib cage is roomy with long and well sprung ribs. The circumference of the thorax is about one quarter greater than the height at the withers.

The croup is broad, strong and well muscled. It is angled at about 30 degrees from the horizontal measured from the hip bone (coxal). Its length equals about three tenths of the height at the withers. The hip bones project level with the highest point of the loin.

The chest is broad and wide with well developed chest muscles. Its width is in direct relation to that of the rib cage and reaches down to 40 - 45 % of the height at the withers. The prosternum is on a level with the point of shoulder.

Hindquarters: Hind legs must be, on the whole, powerful and sturdy, in proportion with the size of the dog and capable of the required propulsion in movement.

Upper thigh length measures one third of the height at the withers and its angulation from the horizontal is about 60 degrees. It is broad with heavy, prominent muscles but which are clearly distinct from each other. The femur and the hip bone (coxal) form an angle of 90 degrees.

Lower thigh - Slightly less in length than the upper thigh and with an angulation [from the horizontal] of 50 - 55 degrees, strongly boned and with clearly visible muscles.

Stifle - The femoral-tibial angle [upper and lower thigh bones] is about 110 - 115 degrees.

Hock Joint - Very long in relation to the length of the lower thigh, it is about 25% of the height at the withers. The angulation of the tibia and the metatarsals [bones of the lower thigh and the hock] form an angle between 140 - 145 degrees.

Hock [Rear pastern] - Strong and dry [lean], almost cylindrical in shape. perfectly straight and parallel, its length is about 25% of the height at the withers. Dewclaws should be removed.

Feet: Front feet - Round, large with well arched, close knit toes.

Hind feet - Smaller than the front feet, round with close knit toes.

The pads are firm, hard and well pigmented. The nails are strong, curved and dark.

Tail: Docked: Broad and thick at its root; strong, tapering slightly towards the tip. Docked to about two thirds of its length. At rest is carried hanging down and curved in sabre fashion, in action is lifted horizontally or slightly higher than topline.

Undocked: Broad and thick at its root; strong, tapering slightly towards the tip. In length it reaches the articulation of the hock. At rest is carried hanging down and curved in sabre fashion, in action is lifted horizontally or slightly higher than topline.

Gait/Movement: Forms a characteristic typical of the breed. At the walk, the movement is feline like a lion. At the trot or pacing, it is slow and resembles that of a bear. The trot is characterised by a strong thrust of the hindquarters and good reach of the forequarters. The dog rarely gallops; usual gaits are the walk and the trot. Pacing is allowed.

Coat: The skin is thick, abundant and loose all over the body, particularly on the head where it forms numerous folds and wrinkles, and at the lower part of the neck where it forms a double dewlap.

Type of coat - Short, stiff, hard and dense, of the same length all over; uniformly smooth, fine and measures 1.5 cm [just over & 1/2; ins] maximum. Must not show any trace of fringing.

Colour: Preferred colours are grey, leaden grey and black, but also brown [mahogany], fawn [tawny] and deep fawn [deer red], sometimes with white patches on the chest and on the tips of the toes. All these colours may be brindled. Hazel [light brown], dove-grey and Isabella [light fawn] are tolerated.

Sizes: Height at withers - males 65 - 75 cm. [25 & 1/2; - 29 & 1/2; ins] females 60 - 68 cm. [23 & 1/2; - 26 & 1/2; ins]

Some tolerance of 2cm. [1 ins] more or less is allowed.

Weight - Males 60 - 70 kg [132 - 154 lbs]

Females 50 - 60 kg. [110 - 132 lbs]

Faults: Any departure from the foregoing points should be considered a fault and the seriousness with which the fault should be regarded should be in exact proportions to its degree.

Serious Faults - Pronouncedly undershot mouth

Gay tail (trumpet tail) [curved over the back]

Sizes larger or smaller than the limits allowed.

Disqualifying Faults - Overshot mouth

Accentuated convergence or divergence of the facial-cranial axes

[Dish- or down-faced]

Bridge of nose concave or convex or very aquiline (Roman nose).

Total lack of pigmentation on the nose.

Total lack of pigmentation on the upper and lower eye lids.

Wall eye; cross eyed. Absence of wrinkles, folds and dewlap.

Absence of tail, whether congenital or artificial.

Extensive white patches; white markings on the head.

Notes: Male animals should have two apparently normally developed testicles fully descended into the scrotum.

QUESTIONS

1. What is my relationship with the breed? (ie breeder, first time owner etc)

2. Where and why was the breed first developed?

3. How common is it in Australia?

4. What is the average lifespan?

5. What is the general temperament/personality?

6. How much daily exercise is needed for the average adult?

7. Is it a breed that a first time dog owner could easily cope with?

8. Can solo dogs of this breed easily occupy themselves for long periods?

9. How much grooming is required?

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

11. Are there any common hereditary problems a puppy buyer should be aware of?

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

If you wish to contribute to the knowledge about this breed, please answer the above questions. (Copy and paste them into a new post).

• Please only answer if you breed or own a pedigree example of this breed.
  • You do not have to answer all questions
  • Please keep posts limited to answering questions or for asking further questions if you require more (or expanded) information.

QUESTIONS

Since no-one is answering for the Neos I'll put up my hand, although I don't really fulfill the criteria since both of mine are rescue dogs.

I have two Neos, a grey male and a brown brindle female, both rescue dogs. Homer I adopted five years ago and Pandora three years ago.

Depending on which history of the breed you want to believe they are either a very ancient guarding breed from the Naples region of Italy, or they are a relatively modern reinterpretation of a mastiff-type (molossor) dog which existed in the region. Ancient dogs tended to be divided into types rather than individual breeds according to their purpose. The mastiff-type was characterised thus

This kinde of Dogge called a mastyue or Bandogge is vaste, huge, stubborne, ougly, and eager, of a heuy and burthenous body, and therfore but of litle swiftnesse, terrible, and frightfull to beholde, and more fearce and fell then any Arcadian curre (notwithstãding they are sayd to hane their generation of the violent Lyon.) They are called Villatici, because they are appoynted to watche and keepe farme places and coũtry cotages sequestred from commõ recourse, and not abutting vpon other houses by reason of distaunce, when there is any feare conceaued of theefes, robbers, spoylers, and night wanderers. For it is a kinde of dogge capeable of courage, violent and valiaunt, striking could feare into the harts of men, but standing in feare of no man, in so much that no weapons will make him shrincke, nor abridge his boldnes. Source: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/27050/27050...50-h.htm#dogges

In the 1940s an Italian writer called Piero Scanziani saw some dogs of this type and was so impressed by them that he began a kennel to breed them. The first six such dogs were exhibited in Italy in 1946 and the standard was codified in 1949 by Dr Scanziani. I think it is generally accepted that there were a number of out-crosses to other breeds, including the Mastiff, in order to achieve the modern type of dog.

3. How common is it in Australia?

They used to be quite uncommon, but are increasing in popularity. There are now a number of registered breeders, and, sadly, a number of backyard breeders.

8-10 Years

I write this description on DOL a while ago which sums up my experience with them.

Lots of people love the way they look, but they are not easy dogs to own. It's not just the size and the drool but the temperament. They are smart, but very emotional and excitable, they tend to be very rough and quite reactive. They are very far from being gentle giants for the most part. Very loving, very loyal and very funny, but strong, willful and independent. When they go into guard mode it's quite hard to convince them to change their minds about a perceived threat. They can go from loving companion to impassive guarding in a nanosecond and it's a bit unnerving when you see it happen for the first time. Neither of mind are "hard" dogs, I doubt they'd protect me from an aggressive mouse, but they have all the behaviours and it's very impressive.

They can also be incredibly noisy, need quite a lot of exercise and are often dog aggressive. Mine live happily with their own pack, but it's not easy to introduce another dog into the ranks without a fight.

I've owned quite a lot of dogs over the years, but this pair are quite different from other dogs I've owned, they really are a breed unto themselves. I think if people are interested in owning one it would be a really good idea to spend as much time as possible with them before taking one on yourself, they are a bit of a handful and not, I don't think, for the novice dog owner.

It's a bit like someone crossed a big clown with the Terminator and then added a whole lot of slime to the result and called them Neapolitan Mastiffs.

My male is a very active dog and requires quite a lot of exercise. My female is a bit more sedate, but she's still pretty active. They don't have the activity needs of a Border Collie, but they do seem to need to run, although not all that far or fast.

I wouldn't think so. Mine are pretty stubborn and hard-headed and they like to make their own decisions. They are also big and very strong, so their size might pose a psychological challenge to a first-time owner.

I think that would depend on the dog. They can be incredibly noisy, so if you were going to leave one alone you'd want to make sure it was happy. They seem to thrive on routine, and are happiest when things happen according to an accepted plan.

Not much, they have short, bristly coats. They shed strangely once a year and can look extremely moth-eaten for a few weeks with brown patches, bald patches and flaky skin.

10. Is it too boisterous for very small children or for infirm people (unless the dog is well trained)?

Emphatically yes. They are very far from gentle giants. They are rough, strong dogs. Mine play by head butting, slapping each other with their paws and barreling into each other. They don't seem to have any idea of personal space at all and wherever you are they seem to have got their a nanosecond before, just in time for you to trip over them.

Yup. The Neo has a small gene pool. They can suffer hip dysplasia, hyperthyroidism, cherry eye and heart disease amongst others. The exaggerated skin folds can lead to skin problems. Being a large, deep chested breed they can also be prone to bloat.

12. When buying a puppy, what are the things you should ask of the breeder? (eg what health tests have been done (if applicable) and what is an acceptable result to those tests so the buyer has an idea of what the result should be)

From Magnufi: http://www.magnufi.com.au/health2.htm

QUESTIONS

Breeder - involved with breed since 1995

From the mists of time the Neapolitan Mastiff is directly descended from the Molossian, with a heritage extending back 2-4000 years, making them one of the oldest recognisable dogs. Our Neapolitan Mastiffs of today are “MADE IN ITALY”. In the 1940s Italian writer Piero Scanziani saw some dogs of this type and was so impressed by them that he began restoration project as the breed was almost extinct after the 2nd world war. 3. How common is it in Australia?

3. How Common is it in Australia?

Approximately 2000 purebred dogs now.

No real average has been established 8-10 years is often quoted but in reality I believe it would be less than 6 years.

Generally a calm dog totally devoted to owner/family but with guarding instincts very much intact.

Unlike many “modern” breeds they have distinct development stages. Baby, Toddler, Child, Adolescent, Young Adult and Mature Adult to put it in “human” terms.

The Neapolitan Mastiff swiftly becomes part of the family, showing complete devotion and love whilst remaining generally suspicious of strangers and politely tolerant of friends.

As a family member it is imperative that the Neapolitan is allowed to be an active contributing participant in your life, whilst knowing its place in the family hierarchy. This is not a breed to be left alone without human company. A delightful breed to take walking and exploring, not apt to explore out of your sight.

Due to their large size and clumsiness when young, constant supervision with children is necessary. However, their kind and gentle nature is readily apparent when with old or young people. Care and training is needed however as a Neapolitan Mastiff will be very protective of any family member in his care. Generally slow to anger the speed and agility of these dogs is almost unbelievable if they think there is a threat.

Owners must develop a relationship of mutual trust and love – always remember the word RESPECT. A Neapolitan Mastiff will not be bribed and must be trained by his owner personally to develop the correct relationship.

Very little - they will self exercise but love to go with their owners on walks, rides etc., and can go long distances provided the weather is not too hot.

In most cases definitely not.

Yes, they can cope quite easily if owners are away from home working but do require "family" time when at home. Not a dog that spends 24/7 in the backyard - close people contact is a must when you are home.

We recommend at least a once a week thorough brushing, ear cleanings etc., and in hot humid weather daily examination and cleaning in dewlap area.

Not in the right home - they have an instinct for gentleness with small children and elderly people. In fact two of mine are with a family caring for 6 or so foster children - some who are disabled and the dogs are assisting in many ways.

As with all giant breeds hearts can be a problem, hips, elbows, eyes should all be asked about.

Hip & Elbow evaluations. Current breed average in Australia is 30/106. Preferably buy only puppies from parents with scores less than the average. Elbows ideal is 0/0 highest score is 3/3. Elbows can be easily injured in this breed so discuss parents scores with the breeder. Heart testing - avoid anyting with DCM in its lines.

Not in the right home - they have an instinct for gentleness with small children and elderly people. In fact two of mine are with a family caring for 6 or so foster children - some who are disabled and the dogs are assisting in many ways.

I've seen a man in a wheelchair walking his neo along a road I travel on into town. The first time I saw them, I wondered if he could possibly have the dog under 'effective control' but each time I have seen them, the dog is walking calmly on loose lead, just strolling along beside master's wheelchair :banghead:

• 2 months later...

Just wondering how stable is the temperament of these dogs, as we had a terrible incident involving a pet Neo out walking. My daughter and niece were out walking our two toy poodles one day when a Neo, out with his family; mum , dad and toddler, broke away from his owner and savaged one of my poodles and tried to get the other one, not to mention scaring my daughter and niece half to death. The owner, a fairly big bloke, had great difficulty getting his dog away and my poodle spent a week at the vet's. Physically he has recovered but he cannot bear any dogs that look remotely like a Neo. That was my first introduction to the Neo, and I've since seen them at dog shows, where I must admit I give them a very wide berth. What would cause a Neo to act like this, is this common or an aberration?

• 7 months later...

What a terrible circumstance! Glad he's recovering okay, and especially glad your daughter and niece are okay

In any dog this should be considered uncommon, and downright dangerous. My Neapolitan is the sweetest dog you could ever meet. They can be wary and give a warning bark, and they do know who their boss is, but they should always respond to their owners asking. Typically with the Neo's I've been around, they are big slobbery lazy goofballs, more likely to tread on your toes or accidentially knock you with their tail than intentionally attack. I've only seen one to be wary of and she was owned by a breeder who kept and rehabilitated her appropriately. (she had bred the dog adn it had been returned to her).

What could have caused it to happen is poor training and socialisation, and a combination of both - maybe your dog barked? either way, no dog with such an unstable temperament should have been in that situation especially with three children involved.

So in response to your question after all that rambling, typically in my experience they have an even temperament - but they are a very large dog who's respect must be earned early because there is no way you could physically control one - it's all in their willingness to respond to their asking. They are sweet dogs, may be wary, but never should they or any dog be aggressive have they been socialised properly. I think this instance is probably a one off - i know my boy used to not even notice small barking dogs, he'd just keep on trotting along minding his own business.

• 4 weeks later...
I've heard they are a bit 'shaper' in temperament than the English Mastiff, how true is this?

On the whole they are more of a guard dog than the EM.i have owned both and can tell you the Neo is the better guard dog.I like Em's and they arent as slobbery and dont smell as much as Neo's lol but show breeding has taken the temp out of the EM.Lets face it the average person doesnt want a 200 pound dog that can guard do they.The italians bred them to be an estate guardian and thats what they are for the most part.The EM has been dumbed down and is a pale shadow of its former self.The Boerboel is more what the EM was and is heavily Bullmastiff bred.

I know you own EM's and I dont want to discourage you just give you my opinion that is based on experience owning both and seeing quite a few of each breed over many years.

Just wondering how stable is the temperament of these dogs, as we had a terrible incident involving a pet Neo out walking. My daughter and niece were out walking our two toy poodles one day when a Neo, out with his family; mum , dad and toddler, broke away from his owner and savaged one of my poodles and tried to get the other one, not to mention scaring my daughter and niece half to death. The owner, a fairly big bloke, had great difficulty getting his dog away and my poodle spent a week at the vet's. Physically he has recovered but he cannot bear any dogs that look remotely like a Neo. That was my first introduction to the Neo, and I've since seen them at dog shows, where I must admit I give them a very wide berth. What would cause a Neo to act like this, is this common or an aberration?

They are as stable as any other dog but can be feisty and certain individuals have be known to have a bit of dog aggression.What you have stated though is unacceptable in any breed and it is up to owners to have their dogs under effective control when out in public.If dogs have not been adequately socialised by owners then problems can arise.There are always more dominant individuals within breeds and it is up to owners to correct unwanted behaviours.I wouldnt say this is a breed specific problem but a problem across the board with dog owners.

Edited by bulldogz4eva

• 6 months later...

"2. Where and why was the breed first developed?"

Let's talk about the modern reconstruction of the breed. If we want to talk about the reconstruction of the NEO we need to talk about one of the most important names for the Mastinari: Piero Scanziani. Scanziani means Mastino Napoletano (or Molosso Romano, as he wanted to name the breed) and Mastino Napoletano means Piero Scanziani. All people that knows a little about the NEO, knows that the breed is the result of a recue that began in the late 30s and early 40s (and sadly its destruction perhaps began around mid 80s but this is not the matter of this post). This reconstruction is due to the love and real commitment of a few men and fans of the “Molossus”. One of the most important names among them is Piero Scanziani a Switzerland (not Italian) born in 1908 (and died in 2003) whose childhood and adolescence was spent in Lausanne, Como and Milan. He was a prolific writer (twice nominated for the Nobel Prize) and journalist (like his father) whose residence was set in Rome to work there as a correspondent for a news agency.

He had founded his kennel under the name of “Allevamento di Villanova”1 in 1930 but he was not engaged with Mastini at that time. As we will see in a pic, he also run a dog magazine named “Cani”.2

Here you will see a couple of advertisement of Allevamento di Villanova:

This one appeared in 1951:

criaderodiVillanovaPieroScanziani.jpg

And this other in 1952:

AnuncioAllevamentediVillanova1952.jpg

For a long time Scanziani had the idea of discovering the old Roman Molossus and even if at the beginning he spent his time with other breeds (Boxer, French and English Bulldogs, Dogue de Bordeaux) in his trips he had “the Molossus” in mind. In fact, he has written: “When in the 30s of century XX I bred French Bulldog, English Bulldog and Dogue de Bordeaux, when I traveled hundreds of kilometers to visit some strange individual of English Mastiff or Bull Mastiff actually unconsciously I sought the molossus. I sought the molossus while studying training about defense dogs and utility dogs, when comparing the reactions of the Rottweiler with those of the Airdale; I sought the molossus even when I marveled before the colors of the blue Alano and the silver Weimaraner. I sought the molossus but I didn’t know it.”.

Then Scanzani, with elegance and concerned that his words may sound like a complaint (about something that he didn’t want to complaint for having done out because of pure dog passion) explains to us in this particular way the sacrifice he made: “I could write a book of adventures titled ‘Toward the discovery of the molossus’; I would tell there my expeditions to unknown constraints mysterious districts of Naples, I would also tell adventurous trips on the railroad that surrounded the Vesuvius toward villages distrustful and hostile, I would tell there absurd conversations with herdsmen, watchmen, butchers, maniacs and affected. Difficult conversations because of the difference of the language, my Italian incompressible for them, their Neapolitan incompressible to me.”.

But he suddenly knew that he was in front of what he thought it was the real molossus in October 12, 1946 at Castel dell’Ovo in Naples, in the first dog exhibition after WW II in that region. Scanziani used to go to dog exhibitions to take Arno von Turnellen,3 a Boxer he had adopted in Berna while living in that city during the WW II. The appearance of the molossus at that exhibition was possible thanks to another conspicuous old mastinaro, the veterinarian Ruggero Soldati (who was the responsible for drafting the first standard of the breed which was finally approved in 1949 with the direction of Scanziani and taking Guaglione I as a model). Soldati was another pioneer passionate about the breed, and he called several of these molosos that he had met through the performance of his veterinary profession, as he stated that they (the molossos) were widespread in the provinces of Naples, Salerno, Avellino and Caserta. There were 8 Roman Molossus there and not 6, as some says. They were Bufariello, Zingarella, Giosì, Jim (grey), Leone, Catarì (blak), Moschella (brindle) and Guaglione I (blue). They were in not good shape and with no phenotypical uniformity. But he saw Guaglione I and he got inloved. He thought (my guess): “this is the old Roman Molossus I have dreamt with all my life”.

The show of the molossus (called Cane e’ presa, Cani da Presa, Mastini Napoletani, Cani Corsi) -that were out of contest- was a disaster because of the poor shape of the individuals but over all because of the surprise of the judges and the lack of knowledge and criteria to judge them; it doesn’t even exist a standard to base the judgment upon. About that show Scanziani remembers that “ … those judges came to Naples from the north, led by the great Solaro, and mock about those eight dogs. They considered them without breed, one tall and one small (they said), this one Alano-type and that one Bordeaux-type, non-uniform even in color, similar only in lymphatism, in rickets, in bastard, dogs chained to the barn and even inept to walk, beasts (they said) that only the Neapolitan inventive could join under the label of mastiffs. In vain Soldati showed his Guaglione and spoke about the old molossus, vainly he tried to explain that these were not common dogs, but representatives of an authentic and ancient lineage, noble even though deteriorated. The most authoritative decreed: ‘lack the breed and therefore lack the dog’.". The phrase appears to prohibit any rebirth.". Although such a statement, that was the standpoint to the rescue of the breed. And as Antonio Crepaldi states, the Neapolitan Mastiff has elevated Ruggiero Soldati and Piero Scanziani as creators of the breed, both in the mind and in the heart of every mastinaro that deserves to be considered as such, while condemned to forgetfulness all those false experts unable to see the revival of an ancient breed.

Guaglione in Neapolitan means “ragazzone” something like “big boy”. According to Scanzani, at the time they encountered each other at such exhibition, with the centuries of history backed him, Guaglione I looked at Scanziani imperturbable, his eyes not hostiles but not gentiles, glance that does not ask nor give anything, just contemplate. Then he looked at Arno (the Boxer that Scanziani took to the show) as if it were evoking the announcement “molossus ready to attack without barking”. Guaglione I was born in 1944 (perhaps in March) but nobody, including Scanziani himself, knows who his parents were. Scanzani has declared that after the success of this dog he received a lot of communications with names of dogs which owners claimed they were the parents just to try to sell them to Scanziani.

Scanziani finally bought Guaglione I from Carmine Puolo (Carmeniello) in 1949 after a hard negotiation; someone says he paid 30,000 Italian Liras but that is a mistake because the one who paid that amount was Carmine Puolo when he bought Guaglione I to his previous owner. I don’t know if Carmeniello really paid that amount to the previous owner or if it was a bargaining trick used to negotiate with Scanzani, but I am pretty sure that Scanzani paid more than that to buy the dog. The same day Scanziani purchased Pacchiana and paid the double of the amount he had already paid for Guaglione, and then close to midnight he went back to Rome by train. He then bought Siento in a very poor condition, he rented a space at the Roman Zoo and he began his adventure. Guaglione I was the first Mastino registered in the Book of Origins under the number 73,829 and he was the first Italian Champion (in 1949) in the same year in which the first standard of the breed was approved.

He then mated Guaglione I with Pachiana and had a litter of eight pups but only one survived, a female named Spes (which means “hope” in Latin). To fix the characteristics he wanted for the breed in 1951 he mated Spes (the daughter) with Guaglione I (the father) and as a result he had a litter of six males and six females, including among them Ursus di Villanova (acquired by Pascuale Raimondi), who also became champion and was considered the most wonderful Mastino of those days; and Uno di Villanova (acquired by Troili, and according to some in co-ownership with Cicchini), proclaimed champion in 1955.

Beyond the titles and the show results, the important thing is that those dogs were the foundation for recovering the breed. In fact, with one dog of di Villanova it began his own adventure with the breed that thin but tall soldier from Toscana region who eventually would became the greatest breeder of the Mastino Napoletano ever, his name Mario Querci; and those dogs were Toto Guaglione and Fiamma (second and third champions –in 1952 and 1953- of the breed respectively, and in the case of Fiamma,4 the first female champion of the breed). No one in this breed has won so many titles, prizes, cups and whatever; and more important no other breeder made so many people national, international and world champion with his dogs (for example, there was a dog that was world CH in 1990 and 1991, International CH of Italy and Europe and had 35 best in shows; his serious guardian skills were proven several times. His name was Caligula di Ponzano, was bred by Mario Querci but his owner and winner of all that stuff was Antonio Pegoli). Precisely under the name "di Ponzano" Mario Querci dedicated to this breed almost 40 years from early 50s to his dead in 1990. Now there is one of the most important specialized yearly exhibition in Italy of Mastini with the name of Mario Querci.

As Crepaldi says, the fortune wanted that the "star" of canine passion has guided Scanziani to Naples to find Guaglione I who has been the messiah for the Neapolitan Mastiff.

Here a pic of “Cani” edition in 1949 showing Guaglione I (Guaglione Primo means Guaglione I):

GuaglioneRivistaCani1949.jpg

Here some pics of Guaglione I:

Gualgione1.jpg

Guaglione1a.jpg

Guaglione11944.jpg

NEO.jpg

A pic of Pacchiana:

Pacchiana.jpg

A pic of Siento:

Siento.jpg

A pic of Spes:

Spes.jpg

(continuation)

A pic of Ursus:

Ursus.jpg

And a couple of pics of Piero Scanziani as Judge:

This one is of an exhibition of Neapolitan Mastiff at Firenze. Look the shape of the dog he is looking at:

PieroScanzianiexpFlorencia.jpg

This is of an exhibition in Italy in 1971. That dog became Italian champion. His name is Frazer della Grotta Azzurra:

Scanzianiexpo70sdaChaFrazierdelaGro.jpg

Here you will see a very valuable video recorded (I understand) in 1949 about "The Roman University of Dogs" a training school for dogs. As you may see in the credits at the beginning, Piero Scanziani is the speaker, and around minutes 5 and 7 you can see a Neapolitan Mastiff standing and then doing bite work. Here is the link: http://www.archivioluce.com/archivio/ In the little window on the left side you have to type "un centro di addestramento per cani a Roma" and the to click over the symbol besides "inicio ricerca".

NOTES

1. “Allevamento” -or canile- in Italian is a substantive that means “kennel” in English. “Allevare” is a verb that means “to breed”.

2. “Cani” is the Italian word for “dogs”. According to Italian grammar, in general –but not always-, words that designate plural end with “i” so if you want to say dogs you say “Cani” and if you want to say dog you say “Cane”; likewise if you want to refer to several kennels you say “Allevamenti”..

3. Arno was more important for Scanziani and for the Neapolitan Mastiff and what one might think. This Boxer changed his life because it led Scanziani to study dog training, to write books, to open his kennel at the zoo in Rome and to attend dog shows like that in Castel dell'Ovo where he discovered Guaglione I, his first Molosser.

4. It remains to be some controversy over how these individuals came into the hands of Mario Querci. According to Salvador Gómez-Toldrá, Clemente Biondo di Cancello and Francesco di Lucia di Maddaloni gifted them to Querci in 1951. Instead, Antonio Crepaldi says that Toto was given by De Lucia but warning that some say that the gift was made by Clemente Biondo; and Fiamma was given by Clemente Biondo, but warning that another source claims that the gift was made by De Lucia.

SOURCES

Carlevaro Persico, Gaetano. Mastín Napolitano y Otras Razas Dogas.

Imbimbo, Nicola. Il Mastino Napoletano.

Gómez-Toldrá, Salvador. El Nuevo Libro del Mastín Napolitano.

Crepaldi, Antonio. Origine del Cane e Storia Verso il Molosso Attuale.

Crepaldi, Antonio. Obiettivo Zootecnico sul Mastino Napoletano.

Allen, Sherilyn. The Official Book of the Neapolitan Mastiff.

Scanziani, Piero - Cuomo, Umerto. Il Mastino Napoletano. Dialoghi sul molosso.

El Mundo del Perro, No. 193, abril 1996.

La Revista del Perro, No. 35, 1996.

Gruñi2, No. 40, enero - febrero 2002.

Kazak

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kazak

Thank you for posting that - very interesting and correct information for newcomers and admirers of the breed.

Hi Nancy, you are welcome. It is the result of a research that I made some time ago. Did you watch the video?

Kazak

• 6 months later...

Does The neapolitan mastiff have a thread, other than this one?

Since I saw my first Neo, I have been infatuated with them. I have done a fair bit of research but wouold love to see/hear more info from those with first hand experience.

P.S. Nancy, I remember seeing your bitch Stella (Rockamor?) as a pup at Orange show, she certainly helped to cement my admiration of Neos!

Does The neapolitan mastiff have a thread, other than this one?

Since I saw my first Neo, I have been infatuated with them. I have done a fair bit of research but wouold love to see/hear more info from those with first hand experience.

P.S. Nancy, I remember seeing your bitch Stella (Rockamor?) as a pup at Orange show, she certainly helped to cement my admiration of Neos!

I have a neo. They are great dogs, very protective, but also very good companions.

Hi Chequeredblackdog,

A good website to look at is www.neapolitanworld.com although typical of many websites one has to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Rockarmour Stella is still doing strong - full of personality and fun. She now pulls a 4 wheeled wagon and still goes to shows at almost 6 - and the youngsters have a very hard time winning over her.

Best way to learn more is to go see some in the flesh at their homes. You are most welcome to visit us - you can see 4 generations here and see how they behave in a home situation etc., You get to see their real personalities.

If you have any particular questions feel free to post here or email me privately anytime.

Regards