Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Nell was vaccinated at 7.5 weeks and will be done again at 13 weeks. that will be it until she has a booster at 12 months.

Thanks for the puppy advise everyone, all comments taken on board:)

Ill keep you all updated. Ive just come home for half an hour between shifts and she is delighted to see me, ran to me prancing round, Now the kids are home and she ran to them too so shes getting better for sure. :thumbsup:

Edited by joelle

Thanks, guys. I thought 5 week sounded young, but the vacc record definitely states at 5 weeks and 8 weeks (a day before she was flown over). I think it sounds like overkill to do another 2 on top of that, but seeing as though the 5 week one probably did diddly squat to make her immune to anything, maybe she needs the 16 week. Not that I did 16 week with Ruby mind you. She had 7-8 weeks I think, then 12 weeks, then out and about 10 days after that. I did take her out before her vaccs, but carried her everywhere (the only places she got put down was in my old office, and at a friend's backyard who didn't have pets).

Bear wasn't flown until 9 weeks though was he Tiggy?

When we discussed this a few (a lot of) pages back it was decided that the AVA protocol was now another shot at 16 weeks wasn't it?

This is something from a post about Dr Jean Dodds' recommendations:

NEW PRINCIPLES OF IMMUNOLOGY

Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified

live virus vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces

immunity, which is good for the life of the pet (I.e.: canine distemper,

parvo,feline distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the

antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the

second vaccine and there is little or no effect. The titer is not "boosted"

nor are more memory cells induced. Not only are annual boosters for

parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks

of allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anemia. There is

no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual

administration of MLV vaccines. Puppies receive antibodies through their

mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8 - 14 weeks. Puppies &

kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.

Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, DELAY the timing of the first highly effective vaccine. Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart SUPPRESS rather than stimulate the immune system. A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age. Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at l year 4 MO) will provide LIFETIME IMMUNITY.

RS, if you knwo the exact BRAND of vaccination used, PM Blues&Boots. she is a vet student and from what she has told me,age of first vacc, type of vacc (C3/C5) and the brand all plays a significant part in how often and how many need to be done. She told me recently there is a new vacc which only needs to be done at 8 and 12 weeks and that's it... apparently - but it's certain companies that have certain vaccs so that is all relevant.

Mas the show classes are quite different and it really depends on the type of instruction you want. The ones with Helena on Tuesdays, i think, are good but quite... intense... there are two classes run on Thursdays by different people/clubs, and they are a little bit less instructive... just kind of run through the paces of what is done in a show ring situation. Wolfproud are probably more instructive than spitz club. are you planning on showing the little man?!!

RS, if you knwo the exact BRAND of vaccination used, PM Blues&Boots. she is a vet student and from what she has told me,age of first vacc, type of vacc (C3/C5) and the brand all plays a significant part in how often and how many need to be done. She told me recently there is a new vacc which only needs to be done at 8 and 12 weeks and that's it... apparently - but it's certain companies that have certain vaccs so that is all relevant.

I did ask, but I forget :o

Bear wasn't flown until 9 weeks though was he Tiggy?

When we discussed this a few (a lot of) pages back it was decided that the AVA protocol was now another shot at 16 weeks wasn't it?

This is something from a post about Dr Jean Dodds' recommendations:

NEW PRINCIPLES OF IMMUNOLOGY

Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified

live virus vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces

immunity, which is good for the life of the pet (I.e.: canine distemper,

parvo,feline distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the

antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the

second vaccine and there is little or no effect. The titer is not "boosted"

nor are more memory cells induced. Not only are annual boosters for

parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks

of allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anemia. There is

no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual

administration of MLV vaccines. Puppies receive antibodies through their

mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8 - 14 weeks. Puppies &

kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.

Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, DELAY the timing of the first highly effective vaccine. Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart SUPPRESS rather than stimulate the immune system. A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age. Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at l year 4 MO) will provide LIFETIME IMMUNITY.

Great info! thumbsup1.gif

But according to that info, sounds they neither support boosters nor titre testing. Just a 1 year booster and good to go kinda thing :shrug:

Yeah it doesn't mention Titres there specifically? Maybe it was cut out.

Here's the orignal thread http://www.dolforums...ation-protocol/

Well the fact that they state they believe they are covered for LIFE after the 1 year booster, I take that to mean they don't think titre testing is required.

Yeah but it's Dr Jean Dodds, isn't she the reason people are doing Titres now?

This was on another site with her protocol:

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus annually thereafter.

http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm

Vaccinations are so tricky there is so much contridicting info out there. I will do 12, 16 week, yearly booster than 3 yearly ..... Mason gets titred so maybe i will just titre both after 1 year booster - after all mason is still alive and kicking lol.

My old dogs i did them until they were 3 years old and then not again until their 9th year but they were not in contact with other dogs

yes one of mine has had three yearly & the co owner/breeder is a vet.

Mason as far as show handling classes go pick wisely.

classes should be about learning not being made to feel stupid or the dog handled in a manner that is over the top

Go down and watch ,you have tuesday with Helena or thursday with wolfproud/spitz club ask your breeder as well

Better still if you own a video camera or similiar videos the Labs at the shows