Western Australian Thread

Lab_Rat

Could I have a temperature check for WA?

Freezing here on the East Coast.

Making time to move noises so getting prepared.

Subject to the area, are there dog friendly places?

:D

Hi VizslaMomma,

Yep, it’s pretty cold, but absolutely enjoyable when wearing proper clothes… :)

Have a look here for dog friendly parks

http://www.vetwest.com.au/pet-library/dog-friendly-parks-and-beaches-in-the-perth-metropolitan-area

or here for dog beaches:

http://www.westernaustralia-travellersguide.com/dog-beaches-perth.html

We live in the suburb of Rossmoyne and have lovely walks along the Canning River, with off lead areas and footpaths.

Cheers

Birgit

Are you moving to WA??

There is an awesome dog park that has opened up in Mt Lawley/Inglewood. It is fenced in for off lead dogs and has logs for agility and a good drinking bowl with tap. There seems to be a group of very dog savvy people who frequent it and I have had awesome times there with Ronin.

I was thinking of organising a meet up with WA DoLers sometime soon. I am not sure if I would recommend it for nervous or toy breeds though as there are mostly mid to larger dogs that go there. Having said that, I have seen some very small dogs there, but most of us will then put a lead on and leave so as to avoid any potential problems. I was worried the other day when a couple of toy poodles and a trio of mini-schanusers arrived. But there was a bunch of mid sized dogs so they mainly played together. I was a bit worried when a bite-sized white fluffy ran up and barked at my 24kg Husky puppy - luckily he behaved well, but I grabbed hold of his collar just in case.

There are lots of cafes where you can take your dog as well as designated beach and river areas for dogs.

Where is this dog park?

Are you moving to WA??

There is an awesome dog park that has opened up in Mt Lawley/Inglewood. It is fenced in for off lead dogs and has logs for agility and a good drinking bowl with tap. There seems to be a group of very dog savvy people who frequent it and I have had awesome times there with Ronin.

I was thinking of organising a meet up with WA DoLers sometime soon. I am not sure if I would recommend it for nervous or toy breeds though as there are mostly mid to larger dogs that go there. Having said that, I have seen some very small dogs there, but most of us will then put a lead on and leave so as to avoid any potential problems. I was worried the other day when a couple of toy poodles and a trio of mini-schanusers arrived. But there was a bunch of mid sized dogs so they mainly played together. I was a bit worried when a bite-sized white fluffy ran up and barked at my 24kg Husky puppy - luckily he behaved well, but I grabbed hold of his collar just in case.

There are lots of cafes where you can take your dog as well as designated beach and river areas for dogs.

Where is this dog park?

"The City has also unveiled it's first dedicated dog exercise area at Inglewood Oval (corner of Central Avenue / Stancliffe Street, Mount Lawley). The facility has a fenced-off area which includes natural elements such as a mix of sand and turf, agility logs,dog drinking bowl, gazebo and bench seating. "

• 1 month later...

Hi WA DOLers :wave:

I know this thread is pretty dead these days but I'm hoping some of you are still reading here so I can hopefully get some help!!

I'm thinking about taking my first holiday in yonks, and my first holiday where the parentals can't look after the dogs (as the family are looking at doing a cruise together).

I'm almost contemplating not going because I can't bear the thought of leaving the dogs in kennels for so long, and being away from them for 2 weeks.

But I thought I might try and investigate house sitting options instead, as that may alleviate my anxiety slightly laugh.gifIt's probably too late anyway to find kennels for them, as it's for January, busy time!!!

Can anyone recommend a good house sitter? And what are the normal terms? ie. is it paid? It would be for 2 labradors and 1 (maybe 2!) mini schnauzers.

I hope someone can help. We sort of need to decide this weekend if we're going to book or not, and if I can't find any options for the dogs, then it's another holiday I will need to forfeit!! crying.gif

Cheers thumbsup1.gif

Raffiki, that would be great, thanks :)

Tassie, got it, thanks :)

Mim, I want a real holiday laugh.gif As much as I will miss the dogs, I want some child-free time rofl1.gif We are planning a cruise from Singapore :)

But that place sounds like a good place for when I do want a doggy holiday one day!

Edited by RubyStar

We've stayed at silver springs too, great spot . Unfortunately I cant help with the house sitting problem. Family is our savior as much as they think Dempsey is crazy, they always take him!

Depends when in Jan you want to board ,most kennels will still have spots but if you haven't started looking in the next few weeks you will miss out on the good kennels depending on how many runs you want & what area you are looking at boarding in as different zones have different rules on dogs per run & size

Good luck RS, we have organised a friend to house sit to look after 4 of the dogs plus the horses (including his own) then Reija has gone back to her breeder and Liss to my aunt so that none of the conflicting personalities remain at home. It is so much easier when I either take the dogs with me or Mum stays at home :laugh:

4 more sleeps and I board a plane to go and see World Dog Show! with around 22,000 dogs entered over 3 days- so 100 or so rings per day!

Doesn't matter now, anyway, holiday aborted :(

Can't get into a kennel and a house sitting service that services Canning Vale "doesn't service" my suburb which is right next door! What the?! I would have kept trying but now other factors mean holiday is off.

Hope you enjoy your lovely trip :D

Good luck RS, we have organised a friend to house sit to look after 4 of the dogs plus the horses (including his own) then Reija has gone back to her breeder and Liss to my aunt so that none of the conflicting personalities remain at home. It is so much easier when I either take the dogs with me or Mum stays at home :laugh:

4 more sleeps and I board a plane to go and see World Dog Show! with around 22,000 dogs entered over 3 days- so 100 or so rings per day!

I have a feeling Strauss's mum and breeder will be at the world dog show thumbsup1.gif

I have a feeling Strauss's mum and breeder will be at the world dog show thumbsup1.gif

I will have to see if I can find them :D I don't have any specific breeds to watch on the Friday :)

RS, sorry to hear your holiday can't go ahead :(

Ronin and I are going to head over to the Mt Lawley fenced in dog park at around 2;30 today (Saturday) - dunno if any DOLers can make it. BTW Ronin hasn't been there in a week or so, so he will be running around like the mad 9 month old husky that he is :laugh: