Goodbye Sweet Old Lady Patch

jaybeece

Patch was a sweet little jack russell who had a hard life. When she was 6 or 7 her owners bought a new dog that didn't like her so they decided to shoot her. My auntie stepped in and said she'd take her instead so she went to live with her pack of terriers on a farm. That wasn't a good a good time for her as they picked on her until she hid under the house.

Then she went to live with my grandma to keep her company as they both needed a gentle companion. When grandma had a fall and had to spend months in rehab Patch came to live with my parents which is where she stayed.

She was very afraid of people touching her back and would growl and bite if anyone did. After a few months the family could pat her anywhere and a couple of years later she was happy to be loved by anyone. She had a lot of awful teeth that had to be pulled out, half an underbite and runny eyes that the vet couldn't figure out. But she was very cute in her own way.

She lived with Basil the collie and Sybil the deerhound until first Basil and then Sybil passed away due to old age at 16 and 14. Then she welcomed a male JRT called Jack and shortly afterwards another JRT called Max who she was happy to snuggle with in front of the heater on cold nights. The homestay students adored her and gave her a lot of cuddles. She became mum's shadow around the house when her eyesight failed, but was still happy to totter along on walks with the boys as long as she could smell and (just) hear them. Even when her back legs started to fail she soldiered on and every time mum decided it was time for that final vet visit, she'd wolf down her dinner, actually break out into a run on a walk or spend a lazy evening snoozing in front of the heater and mum knew it wasn't quite time yet as she was still enjoying life. She sat up on 2 different nights nursing her in her arms, certain she would be gone soon and each time little Patchy was up and hungry for breakfast the next day.

Patchy spent the last 10 years of her life adored by everyone around her and loving life until she passed away peacefully in her sleep this morning at the grand old age of 18.

Basil, Sybil, Patch and dad

sch013.jpg

Winter terrier pile, Max, Patch, Jack

IMG00028-20090617-2031.jpg

Fender the foster, Jack and Patch

n1431756176_30034365_5320428.jpg

RIP little Patchy, we all hope you're now chasing Sybil in the clouds somewhere now, letting her know who's boss of doggy heaven :) Your gentle presence will be missed by a lot of people.

Edited by jaybeece

Thanks guys, it's always hard when they go and the oldies are always so special :hug: I'm just so glad that she got her happy ending with my parents after having such a hard time early on. I know I'm biased cos they're my parents, but any dog who ends up in their care is very lucky. They've taken in a lot of unloved dogs over the years and given them a long and happy life.