Advocate

sigzephyr

My whippets weigh 11.5 and 14.5 kg. I usually use the advocate 10-25kg on them. One each. I need to buy more and noticed for $8 more I can buy the Advocate for 25+kgs. Would it be ok to get this one and try and split it between the dogs? It would save a lot of money if it was an option.

I have been told by vets and vet nurses it's is fine to split Revolution tubes between dogs. Why would it be any different to Advocate?

I think there is a ml per kg dosage rate somewhere in most products litrature.

My method is to cut the bottom off the tube and use a drawing up needle to suck it into a syringe. Take the needle off and dole out the correct amount to each dog.

Edited by puggy_puggy

I have been told by vets and vet nurses it's is fine to split Revolution tubes between dogs. Why would it be any different to Advocate?

I think there is a ml per kg dosage rate somewhere in most products litrature.

My method is to cut the bottom off the tube and use a drawing up needle to suck it into a syringe. Take the needle off and dole out the correct amount to each dog.

This is exactly what I would do if I had 2 dogs. I'm sure it would be fine.

Most people I know do it - the rep I suspect doesn't want to sell less product but I do not want to overdose my animals for no reason either so I breakdown a large tube and throw the excess away. Minimising our chemical usage will also minimise the risk of parasites bulding up resistance to the chemicals we use.

Jo

Maybe the reps have a vested interest.

Have a read of the back of a packet of any topical ectoparasiticide treatment. Somewhere on it, you'll find the words "NOT TO BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE, OR IN ANY MANNER, CONTRARY TO THIS LABEL UNLESS AUTHORISED UNDER APPROPRIATE LEGISLATION".

It is not permitted to alter the instructions applied to any ectoparasitic treatment in the labelled species.

I do and it works just fine. I also have three friends that do the same thing, also no problems.

I split and use it the same day now having the 3 dogs. It also means that my Whippets don't get the full 2.5 ml dose that will treat up to a 25kg dog as the size they are is the 10 to 25 kg range. Rommi is only 10.8 kgs so I feel 2.5mls is overdosing her when the next size down is 1ml for a 4 to 10kg dog.

Lewis came with yearly heartworm vaccination so I used Advocate last time as someone allowed their newly diagnosed Fox mange carrying dog to go up to him and nuzzle noses! Normally I use Advantage on him until he needs the heartworm component.

ETA to add - the dosage I was told to use was 0.1ml per kg so a 10kg dog gets 1ml, a 15kg dog gets 1.5ml. Rommi is 10.8kg's and I give her 1.2ml, Lewis is 12.5kgs and I gave him 1.4ml. Even though I do contravene the labelling as such, I don't see the need to buy exactly the same product at the same concentration and be charged lots more for the priviledge.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I do it. Just check the dosage rate on the small dog packet, and make sure you use the correct dosage when splitting the big tube. Of course a rep is going to say "don't do it"! If you can't find a packet with the correct ml/kg dose rate then just google it - most products will have a data sheet accessible somewhere online. I tip the whole tube into a small container/test tube, then use one of those syringes with 0.1 measurements on it to make sure I get the right dose for each dog. :laugh:

Edited by The Ark

When we have large numbers of dogs you will find a lot of breeders purchase the largest packet

available and divide it among their dogs. Most of us know what the dose rate is.

If the companies that manufacture these products had any sense they would bring out a breeders

pack with a measure applicator.

That way we would not go out and purchase other products that do the job.

Before all of you ask what I use it's Regents 200 I break it down 50/50 with pest oil and use it at

normal recommended dose rate for Frontline.

Before anybody comments pest oil is just oil that is used to get remove pests that don't like oil.

Edited by oakway

I split all my flea/worm stuff among the dogs. I use the advocate on my cats and draw up the dose in the syringe, take off the needle and put it topically on the back of the neck.

Maybe they say no because some people may dose incorrectly as well. I suppose you would have to know what you were doing to split doses between dogs.

hi everyone, just a reminder that some flea products (advantix) can potentially kill cats so don't accidently split a packet and put some on your cats as well, ive seen this happen at the vet with an exelpet flea spot-on product.

• 11 years later...

Hio what did you do with the spare 2ml that you were waiting to use for the second month 

did you leave it in its original tube or did you extract it and put into a an air tight container 

Whats the best way to keep the extra stored until you use it and does it go bad after a period time while sitting?

any info much appreciated ty 

regards carlo

17 hours ago, Carloc said:

Hio what did you do with the spare 2ml that you were waiting to use for the second month 

did you leave it in its original tube or did you extract it and put into a an air tight container 

Whats the best way to keep the extra stored until you use it and does it go bad after a period time while sitting?

any info much appreciated ty 

regards carlo

I would ask a vet instead of people on an internet forum. I suspect a vet would advise against storing it. Open packets are no longer a protected atmosphere.

Edited by Papillon Kisses