Had My Lab Groomed For The First Time Today, Was I Expecting Too Much?

5tumpy

Excellent post, showdog :laugh:

Stumpy, I'm sorry you were disappointed, and glad that now you will learn how to teach your dog the skills needed so her grooming becomes a pleasure for everyone.

*from someone who worked in a kennel and groomed/bathed labs every day*

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a good idea to teach her to sit still for 5 minutes a day while you brush her. Look at what motivates her, and use this as a training tool. Like a treat for sitting still while you do some firm brush strokes.

It would be good to do this after your daily exercise, so she is a bit tuckered out physically and mentally. Most labs are in the puppy stage for the first 4 years. :laugh:

It's great that you are going to do obedience with her, you will learn heaps and thus have a much happier dog as a result. :p

Just a thought, she may be reacting to the brush you have, some dogs are very sensitive/tickly when being brushed.

Professional groomers are ppl to :) .

The price you paied seemed cheap to me, expect to pay more than that at my salon (for a wash, dry, ears and nails only) on a lab. Perhaps you should have asked them if they offered a coat stripping service? a good hydro surge bath, force blower dry and a brush will help, but stripping (using a furminator etc) will help cut down the shedding further (expect to pay more again), still dont expect your dog to come out 100% hair free!

or perhaps buy a deshedding tool and do the dog yourself? :laugh: sounds like some training is a must also :p

Probably a good idea to teach her to sit still for 5 minutes a day while you brush her. Look at what motivates her, and use this as a training tool. Like a treat for sitting still while you do some firm brush strokes.

It would be good to do this after your daily exercise, so she is a bit tuckered out physically and mentally.

:laugh: :p :) Brush her daily, slowly increasing the time. Get her used to being calm while being groomed.

I doubt that taking her to obedience training will help with staying calm whilst being groomed.

Is it my fault for not having her obedience trained? While she's crazy, we don't have a great deal of trouble getting her to do what we want her to... She sits on command (both verbally and by clicking my fingers), shakes on command, she doesn't come inside unless invited... So I don't know that she does have an obedience problem, she's just very energetic, and wants to play the whole time... Everything's a toy to her... Which is the problem when I groom her...

Yes, IMO, or at least trained to remain a bit manageable.

Whilst a groomer would most likely have better handling skills than yours (given their constant exposure and experience), a wriggly squirmy dog isn't necessarily going to be a 'peach' just because a professional groomer is on the job. It's a little bit like having an out of control, spoilt child and expecting teachers to do the parenting and manners lessons. They often do that as a matter of course, but it isn't their job and actually means they are detracted from their job. But anyway, I stray from topic .....

At the groomers there's a good chance your dog was even more exciteable due to new/novel environment etc. Also, there's a good chance your dog's undercoat has been loosened through the bath and also potentially by stress. I'm not a professional groomer, but in my limited experience you can't stop the moulting until the moulting period has ended (does it ever end for labs? :laugh:).

I think you'd do well to learn how to handle your girl - at least in general terms. I don't care if my dog is feeling squiggly and squirmy. I groom him and I do expect him to stand still and not be mucking around while I do it, nor snatching at the grooming mit as though it were a toy. It is the way I hold him and STOP him from being able to 'win' under those circumstances which teach him that standing still is what I require and that he might as well wait there and enjoy the experience :p.

Teaching obedience helps people learn how to be calm, assertive and consistent. It also helps towards maintaining a leadership role with dogs. But there is also the every day interaction and responses that you give/make which add up to that as well.

I don't know if you need assistance in this regard but if you take up obedience lessons with a reputable obedience school you'll be around others who might be able to indicate as to whether you need more help than that.

Many people go to obedience school so that THEY might learn to be able to train. Others go there not because they don't know how, but because they want the busier environment to work their dogs in. So either way, there would be no harm in it and provided it is a good school, only good :).

Edited by Erny

Some dogs just hate the groomers even when they're angels at home. You're obviously putting work in at home if she is obedience trained for you. She's sounds gorgeous, better to have a dog trying to play, than one trying to eat the groomer. I don't think it's fair to expect all dogs to be a robot but as a groomer I am giggling reading of their suggestion for your dog to have more training. When I suggest that I am really saying your dog is a maniac please go somewhere else next time. :laugh: I don't do bouncy Labs as it's just to hard on me physically.

The panicked barking is probably because she is a bit traumatised. A pro groom can be pretty intense for bouncy dogs who aren't used to it.

$35 is bottom of the rung pricing. That being said I always include a de shedding treatment in my Lab groom pricing. Some places offer less for less, but I prefer to offer more for more - at least that way I know my standards are always high and consistent.

Shame about the whiskers :p

If you feel that they haven't done what they should have, you should go back - however most groom quotes are based on a well behaved dog.

You said it cost you $35 more than if you did it yourself - do you normally go to a DIY Hydrobath place?

if so is does your dog behave when you wash him??

Riley can be a bit of a pain when someone else is washing him. He isn't overlly naughtly, but just spins round and doesn't like to stay still.

However, when I wash him (luckily I used to own a hydrobath) he was as good as gold.

I take him to DIY Hydrobath place now that I've sold my hydrobath. Works well for us.

brushing her daily is a really great point, but is there somewhere you can do it thats high up? as in a table outside or washing machine (unless shes too big lol :laugh: )...most dogs associate being up high with being groomed, and being on the floor/lap/bed as play time. They are much more likely to behave up high than where they can run and play around you. Theres no point making yourself stressed out, as if you are stressed, she will see that and then you will have an even harder time with her.

It may even take 2 people at 1st until she gets used to it...have 1 person doing the brushing, and the other giving her a treat when shes good.

I had a hard time at 1st with my dog (he had a bad experience being groomed, and then consequencely i couldnt get near him with the dryer). With persistence and rewarding, it only took me a month to have him going from attacking the bath door and dryer the second i picked it up, to having him jump in the bath, jump on the table, and stand there more than happy to be groomed. (i have a heeler x coolie that sheds alot too). However, i am a professional groomer so i have the tools and experience behind me.

I gave my example to just show that with patience and time, you will get it right. it may even be an idea (if you're willing) to find a groomer you are comfortable with, and take her there occasionally just so she gets used to the environment so shes not so hyped up when she gets in there. Maybe have them give her treats when she walks in so its not a bad experience!

Good luck, please dont give up on her!

It would be good to do this after your daily exercise, so she is a bit tuckered out physically and mentally. Most labs are in the puppy stage for the first 4 years. :laugh:

It's great that you are going to do obedience with her, you will learn heaps and thus have a much happier dog as a result. :)

Just a thought, she may be reacting to the brush you have, some dogs are very sensitive/tickly when being brushed.

Yep... That's initially why we haven't consulted a trainer sooner... We put it down to her being a puppy in her head, but a adult in her body, and so gave her a bit of leeway... She behaves herself 90% of the time, it just seems to be when she gets excited that we have issues... Again, I put this down to the puppy thing, which is why it hasn't bothered me... Evidently, it's not normal, so we'll seek help...

In terms of the daily brushing, we've tried it, the problem is that she can be pooped one minute, laying down panting, and then crazy again the next... Like all labs, she's very food orientated, but for some reason, even a nice liver treat or 10 won't get her to behave while being brushed... She's ok for the first couple of mins, but after that, off like the energizer bunny!

We've tried all different types of brushed, and mits, and no difference, it seems to be that she thinks anything she touches is a toy!

Yes, IMO, or at least trained to remain a bit manageable.

Whilst a groomer would most likely have better handling skills than yours (given their constant exposure and experience), a wriggly squirmy dog isn't necessarily going to be a 'peach' just because a professional groomer is on the job. It's a little bit like having an out of control, spoilt child and expecting teachers to do the parenting and manners lessons. They often do that as a matter of course, but it isn't their job and actually means they are detracted from their job. But anyway, I stray from topic .....

Yep, fair enough, I seriously didn't realise how big of an issue this was, I just assumed it was normal...

I think you'd do well to learn how to handle your girl - at least in general terms. I don't care if my dog is feeling squiggly and squirmy. I groom him and I do expect him to stand still and not be mucking around while I do it, nor snatching at the grooming mit as though it were a toy. It is the way I hold him and STOP him from being able to 'win' under those circumstances which teach him that standing still is what I require and that he might as well wait there and enjoy the experience :o.

Teaching obedience helps people learn how to be calm, assertive and consistent. It also helps towards maintaining a leadership role with dogs. But there is also the every day interaction and responses that you give/make which add up to that as well.

I don't know if you need assistance in this regard but if you take up obedience lessons with a reputable obedience school you'll be around others who might be able to indicate as to whether you need more help than that.

Many people go to obedience school so that THEY might learn to be able to train. Others go there not because they don't know how, but because they want the busier environment to work their dogs in. So either way, there would be no harm in it and provided it is a good school, only good :wave:.

All good advice, makes sense completely... Thanks mate!

Some dogs just hate the groomers even when they're angels at home. You're obviously putting work in at home if she is obedience trained for you. She's sounds gorgeous, better to have a dog trying to play, than one trying to eat the groomer. I don't think it's fair to expect all dogs to be a robot but as a groomer I am giggling reading of their suggestion for your dog to have more training. When I suggest that I am really saying your dog is a maniac please go somewhere else next time. :p I don't do bouncy Labs as it's just to hard on me physically.

The panicked barking is probably because she is a bit traumatised. A pro groom can be pretty intense for bouncy dogs who aren't used to it.

$35 is bottom of the rung pricing. That being said I always include a de shedding treatment in my Lab groom pricing. Some places offer less for less, but I prefer to offer more for more - at least that way I know my standards are always high and consistent.

Shame about the whiskers :)

If you feel that they haven't done what they should have, you should go back - however most groom quotes are based on a well behaved dog.

Yeah, she's a beautiful dog! Hopefully with a bit of help from our friendly neighbourhood obedience school she'll be even better!

That's exactly how I took it too... But oh well, live and learn! The weird thing was, I thought she would need to be stripped and specifically asked for her to be, and they told me it wasn't need as "blow drying will get rid of all that fur", so I thought, "They're the experts!".... Evidently not...

You said it cost you $35 more than if you did it yourself - do you normally go to a DIY Hydrobath place?

if so is does your dog behave when you wash him??

Riley can be a bit of a pain when someone else is washing him. He isn't overlly naughtly, but just spins round and doesn't like to stay still.

However, when I wash him (luckily I used to own a hydrobath) he was as good as gold.

I take him to DIY Hydrobath place now that I've sold my hydrobath. Works well for us.

Yep, usually it's $25 for the DIY... $60 for them doing it... She usually puts up a bit of a struggle getting in, but I put my foot down, and like I said, if I tell her to do something, it gets done... Once she's in, and I clip her collar onto the wall mounted chain they have, and she whimpers a bit, but lets me wash her without too much fuss...

Thanks again for the advice everyone... Getting some great info here!

I would get her done by one of the mobile pet groomers, so that you can be with her when she is being washed/groomed to reduce her anxiety. She has obviously had a bad experience at the groomers :) , so I would certainly not take her back to a grooming salon. When booking the wash/groom explain to them the difficulties you have had in grooming/washing her and the bad experience at the grooming salon, so they know in advance that she may be a handful and they can then decide whether or not to take the booking. :o

As others have recommended, definitely get her used to being brushed daily to start with and start with a softer brush and make it a calming, soothing, bonding experience for her. My two previous labs boys that I had from pups loved being brushed and groomed/washed and were introduced to these experiences as pups and the moment I got the brush out they would sit at my feet ready for their brush and there was excitement plus :laugh: when they knew they were going to get a bath. My lab girl on the other hand only tolerated the brushing and washing :p despite being introduced to these as a pup and my current two older boys who I adopted are the same :) .

Yep... That's initially why we haven't consulted a trainer sooner... We put it down to her being a puppy in her head, but a adult in her body, and so gave her a bit of leeway... She behaves herself 90% of the time, it just seems to be when she gets excited that we have issues... Again, I put this down to the puppy thing, which is why it hasn't bothered me... Evidently, it's not normal, so we'll seek help...

In terms of the daily brushing, we've tried it, the problem is that she can be pooped one minute, laying down panting, and then crazy again the next... Like all labs, she's very food orientated, but for some reason, even a nice liver treat or 10 won't get her to behave while being brushed... She's ok for the first couple of mins, but after that, off like the energizer bunny!

We know how exciteable our lab youngsters can be :laugh: - why don't you trying brushing her after she has had a good walk to burn off that excess energy. Another thing to consider is putting her on a lead and tether her if required so you can brush her gently and calming her at the same time, giving her lots of praise and cuddles. :p

We know how exciteable our lab youngsters can be :laugh: - why don't you trying brushing her after she has had a good walk to burn off that excess energy. Another thing to consider is putting her on a lead and tether her if required so you can brush her gently and calming her at the same time, giving her lots of praise and cuddles. :p

Yep, sure do!

This morning, we walked to the groomers... It was about 2km... I though she was pooped, we were 10 mins before they opened, she wouldn't move, she just layed down on the grass and went to sleep... lol... But yeah... Will definitely start brushing her after her daily walk...

Anyway- when do we get a photo of the monster in angel's clothing? :)

As requested! Butter wouldn't melt in her mouth!

mackie1.jpg

mackie2.jpg

She's beautiful :p :) another black beauty :o You should join us in the Lab Forum under the Breed Sub Forms of the General Discussion forum. You can swap lab stories with and get advice from other lab owners/lovers who understand the scallywag youngsters :laugh:

Stumpy. What a dog will do for it's owner when asked can be very different to what they'll do for a stranger. If you are unable to groom her as her owner whom she would have some level of respect for then magnify her playing up tenfold for the groomer who is a complete stranger to the dog.

stumpy, I concur with labsrule and some of the other posters here, you can still work towards getting her used to it, 22 months is pretty young to train.

With our lab pup, I spent a bit of time in the early days grooming treating using the clicker. He thought it was a bit of a game at first and tried to eat the brush etc., but I tried to make it a really casual 'quiet' time (if there is such a thing with a lab). I sat on the ground with him on a towel and just patted, talked to him, but did a bit of brushing in between. Brush, no reaction = click & treat. Brush, reaction (eg trying to mouth brush or wriggling around), no click or treat. I also found the 'stay' command useful in this circumstance. He knows it as a signal to stay still, whatever position he's in.

As Labsrule says, pop over to the lab forum for some more anecdotes about the lovely doggies !

We have never taken our boy to the groomer (7 months) but he stands okay in the clam shell while I wash him. Haven't tried blow drying too much yet, I towel him & just let him round around to dry. He lets us clip his claws, again, using the 'stay' command. We got the vet to show us and bought some doggie nail clippers.