Toddler Attacked By Dog In Hair Salon

The Spotted Devil

From The Age website

Toddler attacked by dog in hair salon

ROBYN GRACE

November 21, 2009 - 1:18PM

A toddler has been attacked by a dog at a hairdressing salon in the busy shopping district of South Yarra.

The 22-month-old girl suffered serious facial injuries after she approached the husky inside the salon, near Chapel Street's Jam Factory, around 10.20am.

The dog is believed to belong to the owner of the salon, a police spokeswoman said.

The girl had been in the salon with her father, a 21-year-old from Aspendale Gardens in Melbourne's south.

She was taken to the Royal Children's Hospital in a stable condition.

The local council has been notified and investigations are continuing.

From The Herald Sun website

Toddler attacked by dog on busy Chapel St

David Hastie From: Herald Sun November 21, 2009 12:13PM

A YOUNG girl has been rushed to hospital with serious facial injuries after a dog attack on busy Chapel St this morning.

Ambulance officers were called to Ghassan Hair Style near the Jam Factory in South Yarra at 10.20am, after the salon owner’s pet dog attacked the 20-month-old girl, biting the infant on the face.

Ambulance spokesman Ray Rowe said the girl was treated at the scene before being rushed to the Royal Children’s Hospital.

She is in a stable condition.

Police Act Sgt Kayne Joseph said the girl's father, a 21-year-old man from Aspendale Gardens, was getting his hair cut when the attack happened.

Police have interviewed the dog’s owners and are currently investigating, along with Stonnington City Council.

The dog, a Husky, had been taken to a property in Plant St, Malvern, where it was seized and taken away in a council animal management vehicle.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On the news they said the dog was eating, and snapped at h etoddler,

Footage of her in the ambulance- smiling away- didn't look to be too much damage, Apparently she got injuries to a lip. It could have been a lot worse. The dog's owner was quite blase at first, and then appeared most distressed as the ranger took the dog away.

It's so frustrating!

My foster kitten tries to steal my Dally's dinner. Despite the fact they are best of friends and spend hours wrestling and play fighting, Zig will give a serious warning yip which the kitten duly ignores. Solution? Kitten is confined whilst dog eats in peace...the other cats can walk past with no problem, he will happily let me take his puzzle food cube and a possible tragedy is averted. It's not bloody rocket science *sigh*

Doesnt sound like a terribly big deal.

Having said that its not the point it could have been. I dont know the facts of the incident, havnt seen the news report about the dog apparently eating at the time which would make both the owner and parent even dumber :rofl:

Sorry but I don't see how the parent is at fault at all in this case. You don't expect your child to be bitten by a dog while you're getting your hair cut! :rofl:

Owner of dog should have not fed dog with people around. She should have suggested that the parent find someone to look after the child or she should have moved the dog to a back room.

Parent should not have expected to leave a small child running around a salon without someone else to help watch her.

*pet hate when I worked in my parents' salons was people who sat down and ignored their kids and thought it was my job to run around after them - it's a workplace with chemicals, electricity and sharp implements*

Ditto to Gretel's post. I really HATE dogs in places like that. Dogs belong at home OR if they have to be there, they should be confined. Why was the dog being fed while a small child was around? It makes me really angry.

Edited by Kirty

Why would the dog be eating while its in the salon? Surely its not there 24 hours a day. :rofl:

I remember when my children were small, I would go without the haircut rather than drag them into a salon with me if my oh couldn't have them at the time.

Ditto to above post. I really HATE dogs in places like that. Dogs belong at home OR if they have to be there, they should be confined. Why was the dog being fed while a small child was around? It makes me really angry.

My mum would sometimes take her cockers to the salon. They would either be crated (and on lovely beds and quite happy and people would ask to pat them) or they were tethered outside... and people would go out and pat them.

Loose in a salon... nope. Never.

Ditto to Gretel's post. I really HATE dogs in places like that. Dogs belong at home OR if they have to be there, they should be confined. Why was the dog being fed while a small child was around? It makes me really angry.

Well said Kirty!

You might hate dogs in places like that (I don't necessarily agree with it either) BUT why did the parent think it was okay to leave the child to run around unsupervised? It's not the job of the staff to watch children and a person sitting in a salon chair can't really do much.

Owner of shop is at fault

Parent of child is at fault

They are both morons.

And who suffers the consequences of their idiocy? the poor dog and the poor child. :rofl:

You might hate dogs in places like that (I don't necessarily agree with it either) BUT why did the parent think it was okay to leave the child to run around unsupervised? It's not the job of the staff to watch children and a person sitting in a salon chair can't really do much.

Owner of shop is at fault

Parent of child is at fault

They are both morons.

And who suffers the consequences of their idiocy? the poor dog and the poor child. :rofl:

Ashanali,

I disagree that the parent is at fault.

The very last thing I would expect to see in a hairdressing salon, which services all sorts and sizes of the public, would be a dog.

Children go with parents to barbers and hairdressers all over Australia every day of the week. A hairdressing salon is an appropriate place for a child to be and I never tied any of mine up while I was in the chair. They were told to stay in the salon and not go outside. They were free to do whatever in the salon, except be a nuisance to other people (or to me). Most parents in a barbers chair would not have been able to quickly intervene in this situation and any warning growls were probably drowned out by hairdryers.

A hairdressing salon is not an appropriate place for a dog to be and is fraught with risks.

Those risks will now almost definitely take this dogs life.

Souff

Edited by Souff

Why would a parent let their small child approach a dog who is eating? Both the owner and the parent are in the wrong in this situation IMO.

Ashanali,

I disagree that the parent is at fault.

The very last thing I would expect to see in a hairdressing salon, which services all sorts and sizes of the public, would be a dog.

Children go with parents to barbers and hairdressers all over Australia every day of the week. A hairdressing salon is an appropriate place for a child to be and I never tied any of mine up while I was in the chair. They were told to stay in the salon and not go outside. They were free to do whatever in the salon, except be a nuisance to other people (or to me). Most parents in a barbers chair would not have been able to quickly intervene in this situation and any warning growls were probably drowned out by hairdryers.

A hairdressing salon is not an appropriate place for a dog to be and is fraught with risks.

Those risks will now almost definitely take this dogs life.

That doesn't mean that it was ok that the parent let their child approach a strange dog when it was eating. Just because some people think the dog should not have been there does not make it ok for the parents to be lax when it comes to allowing their kids to approach dogs they don't know ESPECIALLY ones who are eating.

I agree with Ash - both the parent and the salon owner are in the wrong here. This accident was entirely preventable and now that poor little girl and the dog will have to pay the price for peoples sheer irresponsibility and stupidity :rofl:

ETA: We had people with two small children over to our house a while ago. My dogs are not resource guarders in any way shape or form and anyone could take food off them if they needed to. However, I gave them both a bone and put Daisy away in her crate and locked Micha on the back deck so they could eat in peace, where no one could disturb them. One of the kids snuck inside our house (we were all out in the yard), unlocked our back door, walked on to the back deck and over to Micha who was eating his bone. The parents actually WATCHED him doing it and said and did NOTHING. As soon as I saw the kid out there I ran inside and bought him back in, explaining to him and his parents that you never approach a dog who is eating. They didn't get the big deal because Mish is such a friendly dog :rofl: Even though Micha is great with kids and fine with people near him when he's eating, no parent should be so relaxed about letting their kid approach a dog when it's eating.

Edited by huski