Allergies & Ear Problems

macka

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also bought Calendula Tea yesterday from the health food shop, brewed it and then sprayed it on my girl before bed last night and it was the first night in weeks she didn't wake me up in the night needing to be scratched and rubbed and didn't seem to even wake herself to scratch, so I'm pretty happy with that and hope it continues if i use it every night. She hated being sprayed though, even hid under the bed when i let go half way through and had a sulk.

I don't know if using it every night is necessary or even good. I can only presume that there is some drying effect from it. I don't think it would cause too much, if any, damage if used a lot, but I carry a bit of a "less is more" attitude to these things. If your dog's skin is really bad, then yes, I'd use it a few times in a row until you see that the redness and angriness of the skin has disappeared. Then I'd just let the skin heal itself.

Also, with the spray bottle - that is one way of applying it. Of course for those who have used a spray bottle to reprimand their dogs, well perhaps their dogs have become used to thinking they are in trouble :laugh:. Other dogs just might not enjoy the sensation of it. So you can use a flannel that is soaked to the point of over saturation, and rub that onto the skin. Be gentle around the spots that are affected and have only sparse hair cover (eg. armpits; inside tops of back legs; etc) as these areas would be very sensitive and possibly sore.

Glad your dog (and yourself, indirectly) got some relief from the Calendula. My boy has broken out into another bout of pustulous skin eruptions under one of his armpits (first time in months). The area was really red and angry and quite sore. I did a Calendula tea wash last night on the affected area and this morning the redness has gone and the 'pimples' have receded and are on their way to healing. Wish I could get down to the exact reason they occur in the first place, but at least there is something 'benign' that is also very effective in reducing the symptoms and helping to stop secondary skin infections in the meantime.

Edited by Erny

I have used both the spray bottle and also a Chux superwipe lol. I washed it thoroughly first then soaked it and basically dripped it all over her. I gently wiped it over her tummy where her main problem is. I did a bit of a tip over her sides where she scratches and wipe in with the chux. Her tummy is easy as every summer it is hairless :worship: It is like wiping a baby's bottom.

Erny I have also been meaning to post and thank you for your suggestion of using Calendula tea. My boy was just about having a melt down with his skin and 2 days of applying this tea had worked where nothing else has and believe me I have tried everything. It has been nearly a week, he is all but completely stopped scratching and his sores are healing well.

You're welcome Cowanbree. I'm always happy to pass something like this on where it will help (and moreover where I know it won't harm). But the thanks really needs to go back to Dr. Bruce Syme, who is my boy's Vet in Castlemaine VIC. I was very on edge over the welfare of my boy when he burst out into a bout of hives that covered the most of his body. I went into the very human response of needing to do something NOW to fix them. Dr. Bruce was the one who kept me sensible, told me to get some anti-histamines to give to my dog IF he should start scratching to the point of damaging his skin, but to bathe in the Calendular Tea if I thought there was infection (which I find is generally what causes the redness).

I think the act of me rushing to the Chemist and purchasing the anti-histamines relieved the old time human instinct to act now.

And the Calendula Tea did the rest.

The anti-histamines still remain unopened in my cupboard :worship:.

I'm really glad I've been able to pass on a tip that has worked for me and that helps others as well :worship:.

ETA: My boy's broken into a rash again and I too am using the Calendula to calm it. Has eased what was last night very red, pustulous and painful skin down to almost nothing. I'll give him another go now before bed and I think that should do it to let this lot heal. I'm still trying to work on what's causing this, but with everything I have done in the past 7 months under the direction of Dr Bruce, his skin has improved a lot and we've been able to avoid (*touch wood*) using drugs/chemicals as part of the treatment for the symptoms.

Edited by Erny

I took my dog on Tuesday to the Dermatologist and she had the scratch test and was allergic to almost everything on it, but the Dermatologist said I will still need to do an elimination diet as as they don't test for foods on the scratch test because the results are not accurate for foods.

Yes, that is my understanding of it also.

To my knowledge, you can not test for diet allergens without conducting an elimination diet. Many people do not understand what an elimination diet is either, many also think the dog needs to stay on the novel protien for life, which is also wrong.

Erny, did you happen to find out anything further about the hair analysis?

Well ..... I still don't fully understand what or how they do it. But the cost is $90. The analysis covers all organ function. More tests will be required (assuming I continue with their suggested meds, whatever they may be) to follow progress, but the $90 is a once off.

At the moment, Mandela has regressed. Gone off his food again and has broken out into skin rashes ..... with a suggestion that he's about to have a full on break-out of hives. I'm hoping the Calendula tea will keep them at bay though. But he's too thin and I do worry about him not eating his meals.

Don't know if there's a pattern.

He was on EP for about 6 months when the no-eating; loose stools; skin allergy symptoms began. He would eat a different EP diet for a short while, enthusiastically, but it was short-lived.

He's been on his Allerblend diet for 7 months - now it's got to the point of no-eating. Skin symptoms seem to be starting all over again but with what I know I'm hoping I can prevent them from getting as bad or lasting as long. He will eat the VAN "Premium Choice" Adult food happily enough. I don't know if, like EP, that will be a short-lived preference also.

My layman's thoughts are liver function. Wondering if it's not functioning properly and the toxins from the food (protein source) build up to the point that his body doesn't cope with it. A change in diet and things come better ..... until later :laugh: . I dunno ..... it's just me thinking and I'm probably way off course.

Doing the hair analysis is at least non-invasive so I figure it can't hurt to find out what the results come up as. I plan to take the required hair samples this coming weekend and send them off. Should know by middle to late next week.

Edited by Erny

Sure thing, Sas.

With Mandela, the hard thing about reporting is that I need to give it some time before I can hazard a guess as to whether things are improving. Over such a long period it has been a case of ups and downs, with the only difference being how long the 'ups' last for by comparison to the 'downs' and how frequently the both occur. But I'll certainly let you know what the diagnosis is. Chances are, I'll need some help from you guys to understand it myself! :rolleyes:

ETA: :rofl: Sorry to the OP for wandering off topic and focussing on my own boy. I'll start a new thread, or re-fresh his old thread, for the reporting of the hair analysis test results.

Edited by Erny

Sure thing, Sas.

With Mandela, the hard thing about reporting is that I need to give it some time before I can hazard a guess as to whether things are improving. Over such a long period it has been a case of ups and downs, with the only difference being how long the 'ups' last for by comparison to the 'downs' and how frequently the both occur. But I'll certainly let you know what the diagnosis is. Chances are, I'll need some help from you guys to understand it myself! :confused:

ETA: :rofl: Sorry to the OP for wandering off topic and focussing on my own boy. I'll start a new thread, or re-fresh his old thread, for the reporting of the hair analysis test results.

No don't worry about it Erny - you can keep posting in here that way everything is in one place.

• 2 weeks later...
Goodness, it sounds like Mandela is having a really hard time at the moment.

Can you let us know how you go with the analysis/treatment stuff?

I have received (today) the report from the hair analysis, for those who are interested. I have put it hereunder, but make not too much comment on it just yet :

The analysis shows that Mandela's symptoms are caused by a gluten intolerance. All wheat products. This is a very common problem in the dogs and people that I treat.

The Gluten affects the function of the kidneys, liver and gut. In Mandela's case, the liver congestion has become mildly infected. The infection has also affected the thyroid function. The general congestion has caused the retention of very high levels of acids and bodily wastes etc. These products lodge under the skin causing irritation and also cause tummy ache. The homeopathic medication will correct all symptoms. ... Suggest a low protein diet for the time being.

The $90 I paid has covered the cost of the hair analysis, as well as some drops (to be taken orally) and some tablets. It also covers repeat analysis which is to be done 2 weeks following treatment.

I don't know what the tablets nor the drops contain. This is something I am going to query.

I was also provided with the results of the Hair Analysis Test. It shows the Efficiency of :

Immune system 80% (ideal 85%)

Heart 85% (ideal 85%)

Lungs 80% (ideal 85%)

Kidneys 60% (ideal 65%)

Liver 60% (ideal 65%)

Pancreas 90% (ideal 90%)

Thyroid 80% (ideal 90%)

Digestive System 60% (ideal 65%)

Muscular System 75% (ideal 75%)

Skeletal System 75% (ideal 75%)

Edited by Erny

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't followed this through as much as I intend, just yet.

In the meantime of initiating contact with Mr. Templeton, Mandela took a down turn. Went off his food. Subsequently lost weight. Has broken out into hives all over his body again. In the last two weeks I've spent much time tripping around different places picking up different foods and trying to get him to eat it. He eats some. Then stops. I've gone to see a Naturopath and I have tablets and powders, along with advice as to a diet, to try to get into him. The tablets are easy. The powders - well, they're easy if he eats.

In amongst all of this (a lot of work : food preparation; doesn't eat? back in the fridge; tabs; trying to get powders into him via water and honey; offer food again; eats some; pack rest away back in fridge; offer again later; doesn't eat it; throw it away; get more out of the freezer in anticipation of the next meal and hoping he'll eat it; Calendula tea washes to ease the discomfort of the hives in the meantime ..... so on, so forth).

I've got to give this some time to see what works and hoping that the cycle will be similar to the last, where we went through the hive and fickle eating state and then came good. Just picked up some more additives - "Pre-biotics" (as opposed to pro-biotics). These are supposed to settle nausia and make him feel better hopefully enough to encourage him to eat again. Gave one earlier and he's finally polished off his dinner. :laugh:

I still need to ring Mr. Templeton to ask what is in the liquid he gave me and also what the tablets are. I've just been spending most of my extra time doting on my boy :) and following him around with a fresh bowl of something or other so I haven't quite got around to the phone call. Hopefully will get a chance on Monday, in amongst my Christmas shopping. I normally have that all done by now, and without clues as to what to get some of the members of my family, I'm beginning to panic.

ETA: I've given my Naturopath a copy of Mr. Templeton's report. I'll be speaking with her to see what she thinks as well. She's quite interested. She arranges saliva analysis and if things don't turn around for the better soon for Mandela then I'll ask her again about the benefits of getting this done. Naturopath has informed me that getting him 'right' will take a while and that we need a few more weeks to give things time to begin to work, heal and improve.

Sorry ........... that was a long answer, wasn't it? :laugh:

Edited by Erny

2tollers: Have you sent any hair from your guys to be tested? Do you hear of other people who have used the prescribed therapies and have success?

Erny: I'd be interested to read your opinions on this and what is in the drops/tablets.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

2tollers: Have you sent any hair from your guys to be tested? Do you hear of other people who have used the prescribed therapies and have success?

Erny: I'd be interested to read your opinions on this and what is in the drops/tablets.

Mel, Thankfully I haven't needed to use him for allergies but do know 2 people who've had some success with him. I did use him once to put Lilli's shoulder back in. I'm thinking of sending in my yougest son's hair for testing. He's a very allergic little boy and if I can reduce any of his medication that would be a big plus.