Grapes And Raisins Toxic To Dogs!

Alibi

how are grapes toxic? Whats in them that does it? Have given all my dogs grapes, they love playing with them and had no problems. Lots of people a t training use them too, where did you get the info from?
gusgem all this comes from the internet, and all the sites say grapes are toxic, suggest you click on one of the links posted and that may assist :eek:

gusgem, there was something on dol a few months ago about a dog having a fatal reaction to something as small as 6 grapes or raisins (if memory serves me correctly). If you do a search there may be something in there about exactly what the toxin is. My dogs loved grapes but not after reading that.

I know of someone whose Lab ate the fruitmix intended for a christmas cake. She told the vet what he'd eaten and said she'd read on the internet that grapes and raisins were toxic. The vet didn't believe her and the dog died. :rolleyes:

I have spoken to a vet from an emergency centre (was at the same xmas party) and was told they do not yet know what the toxin is that causes the dogs to become sick. Its a bit scary to think what other "healthy" foods could really be doing damage. :rolleyes: as i have always thought that mostly what is good for us is ok for them.

My Lab retriever would eat grapes (often a bit unripe) straight off the vine as a youngster. He never got an irritated bowel or anything!

He lived to the ripe old age of 16, (which is good for a 40 kg dog) and only suffered a bit of arthritis as an older dog.

He would select the grapes he wanted to eat, and I figured that he knew what he was looking for. I am confident he didn't die of a kidney related disease, simply old age. :confused:

The garlic one worries me as I have seen it listed on ingredients on some of the pet foods (can't think of the name right now though). So I wonder if its just the leafy bit and not the bulb bit we cook with?

Leaving now for a sec to pick up all the grapes scattered on the floor as I was eatting them and a few fell off the stem onto the floor *hangs head in shame :confused: )