Another Toilet Question!

JudyG

I have had my puppy for almost 4 weeks now and toilet training is mostly going well - when I am at home I take her outside and she will pretty much pee on command now. However the problem is when I am not at home - I set up a pen with her crate and some grass for a toilet which she was using but in the last few days she has been peeing on the floor of her penned area which is in the kitchen. My long term intention is for her to use a doggy door which we have in the laundry.At present I have been taking her out the kitchen door as that is the one we use to access the back garden and she is currently restricted to the kitchen only when I am at home.

Should I just ditch the penned area and use the laundry when I go out? It can be closed off from the rest of the house - I would just need to train her to use the door. Not sure if she would be confused by using different doors depending on whether I am at home or not!! Only other problem with using the laundry is my older dog who normally has the run of the house, even when I am out. I would need to restrict her to the laundry too so that she can access the dog door.

Not sure if any of that makes sense!!

Have you been replacing the grass regularly? What breeds are your dogs?

Yes - I have changed the grass each week or so. My dogs are West Highland Terriers.

The last day or two she has been ok - I was out for 3 hours this morning and there was no pee on the floor and she went as soon as I let her out so she may have held on. I am thinking about taking away the grass completely and just seeing how she goes for short periods and build it up.

I read somewhere they should be able to hold on for their age in months plus one in years i.e she is 3 months do 4 hours - I personally think that may be too long but 2 or 3 may be ok.