Pup Left To Starve.

Parkeyre

Pup left to starve

652797.jpg

JADE WALKER03 Dec, 2009 08:59 AM

Just about skin and bones was how a six month old puppy was found on someone's front lawn recently.

The emaciated staffy cross mastif was starved and dehydrated, close to dying.

RSPCA officer Dianne McCance said this was the worst case of starvation she had seen in Whyalla.

Weighing 6.6kg, at least half his normal weight, Ms McCance said he looked about four-months-old.

The RSPCA kept him cool and gave him food and water, but he wasn't eating much at first.

But after a week of loving attention, he was eating and acting like a puppy should.

Although only early days, Ms McCance said he seemed a lot better and there was a small improvement in his weight.

She said it would be at least another three months before he was healthy, and he would then be put up for adoption.

Foster carer Louise Thompson will look after him during the Christmas period.

Ms McCance said she considered euthanising him but she just couldn't.

"He deserves a second chance," she said.

"Getting him a good home, that would be great."

Finding the story behind the puppy's case was hard, but Ms McCance said usually a puppy would be found or taken in before it got to this state.

"If you can't afford to feed them, come to the RSPCA, we give out food parcels as a one off," she said.

"Don't just leave the dog to starve, bring it here, don't give it away."

Ms McCance encouraged anyone who may recognise the dog to contact the RSPCA shelter.

"Because we would like to prosecute someone who's doing that to a pup."

Edited by Bonnie Parker

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Bonnie that brought me to tears!!!

Bad memories for me. Our girl looked like that when we got her. (she also had a lopsided head and teeth mark holes in her skull)

Our girl was 3 months and the vet said she looked about 6 weeks.

Kisses and hugs for the poor little fella.

It's disgusting. The persons who did this should be shot till death.

It's so inhumane to do that to the poor puppy.

I just want to cradle the poor thing in my arms and say "everything is okay now'.

Some people are mongrels.

but in my own town??? OMG.

Some humans are not worth being called humans :rofl::laugh:

It Is sickening to the stomach to know we as an evolved race can do such a thing

Worst part Is they will probably never be caught..... but I hope Karma will find It's

way to them

So glad he Is doing ok, best wishes that he keep improving and finds a loving home :p

Poor little thing......do you think that since he was found in someones front lawn maybe he had been missing & wandering for some time???? Maybe someone didn't do this to him, maybe he just couldn't hunt or fend for himself if he was lost??? Perhaps he just collapsed on the lawn because he couldn't go any further?

Just suggesting this because the thought that someone could actually inflict this on any being is horrifying.

I keep hanging onto the belief that what goes around comes around, If I could make what I believe in happen then the parasites that did this would be some hungry mother:X

Can only hope that this beautiful little soul gets a family that appreciate the unconditional love that he gives & in return love him more than life itself :love:

Poor little thing......do you think that since he was found in someones front lawn maybe he had been missing & wandering for some time???? Maybe someone didn't do this to him, maybe he just couldn't hunt or fend for himself if he was lost??? Perhaps he just collapsed on the lawn because he couldn't go any further?

Just suggesting this because the thought that someone could actually inflict this on any being is horrifying.

Even as sad as that scenario might be I kinda hope your right....

Because to think... Anybody could watch a living thing deteriorate to "that"... is so beyond me....

I have great faith in the human race... but sometimes I am so let down :rofl:

I've come back here to have another look at the poor little fellow :o

The look in his eyes :o He's just got.... nothing....

Absolutely heart breaking...

I really hope he gets well :o Strong, Happy, Healthy and is Loved... :love::) :)

The look in his eyes :thumbsup: He's just got.... nothing....

I don't see 'nothing' in his eyes. I see hope. That's the part of dogs that amazes me. I think 'hope' is the very last thing they let go of.

This is from a 'coffee table' book I've recently purchased :

"A dog's demonstrative behaviour, far from indicating any inability to reason, is a measure of their enormous compassion, optimism, hope and a capacity for forgiveness that should leave us all withered with shame."

I say "amen" to that, for it is so true.

The book is "Why Dogs are Better than Cats" .... :happydance2:.

The author is Bradley Trevor Greive and the book contains lovely photographs by Rachael Hale.

I hope this little guy makes it and lives long enough to know the comfort, care and humanity that humans are capable of.

I agree with the poster who suggested that perhaps the pup has been lost. I hope so. I feel ashamed at what insidious things some people can and will do to animals and we've heard so much about these things of late I am very concerned inhumanity is on the increase rather than the opposite.