Youtubing Dolers

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love watching everyones videos :o

I have only just added 2 videos. First one of my Rotty (fast foward to obedience at 35secs) then another clip of my old trialling dog who is a Corgi.

http://www.youtube.com/jesomil

Why would we fast forward that gorgeous dog?? OMG that is the most adorable Rotty I've ever seen! So enthusiastic, and such great eye contact. I have to wonder, what is your drop command? I couldn't see any hand signals. Well done :laugh:

Thanks Jeanne :o

Re the drop command, I use voice only commands, no hand signals.

I thought so - I have been wondering whether it is best to use just a voice command, just a hand command, or both? Berri will do it to whichever, but I'm not sure which I should be doing for obedience, is one way preferable in trials?

Thanks Jeanne :o

Re the drop command, I use voice only commands, no hand signals.

I thought so - I have been wondering whether it is best to use just a voice command, just a hand command, or both? Berri will do it to whichever, but I'm not sure which I should be doing for obedience, is one way preferable in trials?

In higher levels of OB you have to use signals only (no verbal). But for everything else you can use both as long as they're given at the same time.

I like my dog to be able to do both well on their own.

I prefer that she works well for voice signals as I'd rather she is more responsive to my voice than body language.

Although I'm sure I'll be so nervous when we start trialling that I'll end up using both out of habit anyway :o

Edited by huski

I'm reading Sheila Booth's book 'Purely Positive Training' and she says to teach the verbal signal first then when the dog is reliable add the hand signal because the hand signal is so much easier to learn for the dog if you teach them at the same time the dog won't learn the verbal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn1W-WJA2fo

Video from today. We're off screen alot sorry :) . At the last sit I accidently dropped some food and dumb me said "did I drop some" and Banjo dropped. I was so happy that he dropped so fast :laugh: because we've been working on the drop but hopefully I don't let the "D" word slip again because I don't want him dropping from a sit. Banjo thinks he should be training me :o .

We train schutzhund obedience so no hand signals or body cues like holding a hand at waist level are allowed (took me ages to break that habit :laugh: ).

If I trialled in ANKC obedience, I would definately use the hand signal as well as voice command. Give the dog as much help as you can if allowed!!

Tiggy, would you recommend that book? I'm always on the look out for good books. I usually add a verbal cue to shaped behaviors, but with lured behaviors the lure is often part of the cue, which means of course you will be teaching the visual cue along with the verbal. Pat Miller suggests saying the word slightly before showing the visual cue if you want them to learn to recognise the word alone. Berri caught onto this very quickly.

I often think how confusing stand must be for a dog, beginning with the same sound as their most often requested behavior - sit. I often wonder whether I should just say "tand" or make up a different word altogether, does anyone else do this?

I often think how confusing stand must be for a dog, beginning with the same sound as their most often requested behavior - sit. I often wonder whether I should just say "tand" or make up a different word altogether, does anyone else do this?

I found stand a tricky one to train regardless of what command word I used. I think that both commands starting with 's' doesn't really make much difference as they both have a very different sound - IMO the emphasis is more on the vowel sound than the beginning letter. Hand signals help too - I found it much harder to get stand on voice command only, but Daisy is getting it about 90%-95% of the time now.

I had a problem with Daisy occassionally pre-empting recalls (she gets very excited doing them) and a very clever DOLer recommended I call out other words starting with 'h' (recall command word for us is 'here') to really solidfy Daisy's response. So I have her in a stay and call out words like hat, hair, hello etc. It worked like a charm :eek:

Edited by huski

In higher levels of OB you have to use signals only (no verbal). But for everything else you can use both as long as they're given at the same time.

You can use one or the other, but not both.

In UD there is a signals exercise where only hand signals can be used. For all other exercises both voice and/or hand signals can be used.

Tiggy, would you recommend that book? I'm always on the look out for good books. I usually add a verbal cue to shaped behaviors, but with lured behaviors the lure is often part of the cue, which means of course you will be teaching the visual cue along with the verbal. Pat Miller suggests saying the word slightly before showing the visual cue if you want them to learn to recognise the word alone. Berri caught onto this very quickly.

It's a great book :heart: .

This is the first in a series. I'm not great at uploading so they will be short clips :happydance:http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Just wait....there's a vid coming....still in production :eek:
:eek: so when do you post the link to your youtube vids bedazzledx2 :happydance: .

ETA. I use a clicker at home/at the park but only use a bridge word at club - but you would appreciate why that might be the case :o .

Hmmm will have to try again..... Will give it another go tomorrow...thinking about getting ready for the agility trial tonight but its still too b...... hot!!!!

This is the first in a series. I'm not great at uploading so they will be short clips :eek:

Deb when I click on the link - it takes me to MY Youtube videos....... so thanks for that as I had lost them LOL