Toilet Training Dog With Full Time Job

I guess like everybody else I work from 9am-6pm.

During this time I leave my Japanese Spitz in the kitchen where it has an area for sleeping, food/water and a toilet pad to do its business. It seems to have no problems pooping and peeing on the pad when he's enclosed. However when I get home and give him more space to run around, he sometimes does his business elsewhere.

I cannot reward him when he's peeing/pooping on the pad since I'm at work, what is the best way you guys have found to overcome this obstacle? I really want to be able to let him run around the house, so I don't always have to fence him in into the kitchen.

PS. My Japanese Spitz is an indoor pet, so I do not want to always have to let him out into the yard or make a doggy door for him.

Don't let pup out of your sight when you're home, close doors to rooms etc, restrict your pup to the area you are in, take pup out every half an hour when you're home and give toileting command and then follow with praise.

PS. My Japanese Spitz is an indoor pet, so I do not want to always have to let him out into the yard or make a doggy door for him.

I have inside Great Danes but I'm not going to allow them to toilet inside.

If you really must only have your dog toilet on a pad inside then when you get home, take the pup to the pad every half an our, restrict where the pup can go and watch like a hawk that way no mistakes can occur.

I am also a fulltime worker. My dogs are also indoor pets but they have a dog door to come and go.

Having access to getting outside during the day provides relief from boredom, plus they have each other for company.

Being left in a kitchen for 9 hours is way too long, unless your dog is old? You haven't mentioned an age. It is also a very long time to leave a dog without access to the toilet if you housetrain a dog. I understand the dog has pads now.

Male dogs are easier to housetrain, providing they are desexed first otherwise they have a very strong desire to continually mark territory.

Is your dog desexed?

What is the reason you don't wish your dog to be able to go outside?

I have a method which I can post but would like to know a little more information. :laugh:

Edited by dogmad

Then you need to toilet train him onto pads and use exactly the same practices that someone training their dog to go outside does.

After waking, eating, sleeping or playing take him to the pad and stay there. Reward the right behaviour.

Personally I think your pup would benefit immensely from access to fresh air and sunshine. He will get his necessary dose of Vitamin D, and have the opportunity to explore and work his muscles. A dog door IMO is the ideal way to balance the inside/outside aspects of a dog's life.

I am also a fulltime worker. My dogs are also indoor pets but they have a dog door to come and go.

Having access to getting outside during the day provides relief from boredom, plus they have each other for company.

Being left in a kitchen for 9 hours is way too long, unless your dog is old? You haven't mentioned an age. It is also a very long time to leave a dog without access to the toilet if you housetrain a dog. I understand the dog has pads now.

Male dogs are easier to housetrain, providing they are desexed first otherwise they have a very strong desire to continually mark territory.

Is your dog desexed?

What is the reason you don't wish your dog to be able to go outside?

I have a method which I can post but would like to know a little more information. :laugh:

Our backyard is not exactly the cleanest. There are also pots and plants everywhere and has a ledge, and everytime we let it into the yard it comes back with 'bindies' stuck to its fur and they're really hard to get out.

From my signature you can see Shiro is 5 months old and I still have not been able to toilet train me (I feel quite bad).

No my dog is not desexed, as my dad wants to breed it. But I am considering desexing it.

Then tidy up your yard and kill the Bindi's.

I'm not even going to comment on the potential breeding of a pet *shakes head*

Also your dog is a he or she not an 'it'.

Edited by sas

Then tidy up your yard and kill the Bindi's.

I'm not even going to comment on the potential breeding of a pet *shakes head*

Also your dog is a he or she not an 'it'.

Yes I am considering desexing Shiro. I don't want I'm ready for Shiro to breed...

Dogs need fresh air, they need to dig in the dirt and roll on the grass. Please install a dog door so your dog has the option to enjoy the sunshine.

Agreed - mine are mostly indoors but they have a dog door to come and go. It is essential that dogs geet daily DIRECT sunlight for vitamin D. If they don't they can have major health problems. Mine spend about 10 mins a day just lazing around in the sun.

Please don't contribute to the glut of BYB pets that get put down every year. Desex her, give the yard a good clean and build a little fence if necessary to keep her out of areas you don't want. And then enjoy your little pet.

I worked full time with my pup too and it does take a bit longer when you can't be there 24/7, but it does eventually happen if you're consistent. Also, clean up the mess with water and vinegar as a lot of commercial cleaners have chemicals that will make your dog pee on the spot again.

LostyJai - I'm in Sydney too. I'm happy to give you a housetraining demonstration during a home visit, which I will do for FREE. I never charge because I like to help dogs. I'm also happy to give you advice on how to make your yard a suitable place for your dog to come and go. Bindis should be removed - you may have to do a bit of work but unless you are prepared to, you shouldn't really have a dog. It is like taking on a child - you need to look after them and ensure their happiness and quality of life.

As for breeding your dog - please don't when we euthanase 150,000 dogs every year in Australia - please pause to catch your breath because you should have sucked in a deep breath of shock here.

Please do not contribute to this statistic further.

LostyJai - I'm in Sydney too. I'm happy to give you a housetraining demonstration during a home visit, which I will do for FREE. I never charge because I like to help dogs. I'm also happy to give you advice on how to make your yard a suitable place for your dog to come and go. Bindis should be removed - you may have to do a bit of work but unless you are prepared to, you shouldn't really have a dog. It is like taking on a child - you need to look after them and ensure their happiness and quality of life.

As for breeding your dog - please don't when we euthanase 150,000 dogs every year in Australia - please pause to catch your breath because you should have sucked in a deep breath of shock here.

Please do not contribute to this statistic further.

Wow really!? THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!

But I live down south-east near Hurstville, is that too far?

If not when are you free? I prefer weekends since I work during the weekdays.

Edited by LostyJai