Flea Problem

LostyJai

I think Shiro has a flea problem and it's affecting my mum. I've been using Advantage Flea control but doesn't seem to be working.

I see Shiro scratching itself every now and then, and my mum claims there are fleas biting her. She has red spots on her body, could these possibly be flea bites?

Our house has carpet. Should the carpet be cleaned regularly now that we have a dog?

What is the most effective flea control you guys/girls have used?

Please help =(

each product can work different on each dog but you need to figure out where the fleas are coming from .

If they are in your house you need to flea bomb the house,wash all the bedding ,ideally spray outside & get on top of the problem before they breed & get worse

Is that your mum with the red spots? My son used to be allergic to flea bites when he was young. Fleas bite in groups of bites. And they are very itchy. My son used to come up in big welts like hives.

My 1st border collie used to be allergic to fleas & came out in large itchy crusty sores. After a couple of years trying different things I finally discovered Advantage & she never had the problem again.

When my son had the flea problem I used to flea bomb the house once or twice over the warmer months. It used to keep the fleas at bay.

The Advantage should work but may take a while for you to notice. It kills the fleas on contact & sterilises them & they can't lay any more eggs. It also kills the flea larvae. You can spray the inside of the vaccuum bag b4 vaccuuming to kill any fleas that may be in your carpet. They also like to get into the crevices around the skirting boards. You will also have to wash the dogs bedding.

There's a sticky about fleas here http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=92212

Is that your mum with the red spots? My son used to be allergic to flea bites when he was young. Fleas bite in groups of bites. And they are very itchy. My son used to come up in big welts like hives.

My 1st border collie used to be allergic to fleas & came out in large itchy crusty sores. After a couple of years trying different things I finally discovered Advantage & she never had the problem again.

When my son had the flea problem I used to flea bomb the house once or twice over the warmer months. It used to keep the fleas at bay.

The Advantage should work but may take a while for you to notice. It kills the fleas on contact & sterilises them & they can't lay any more eggs. It also kills the flea larvae. You can spray the inside of the vaccuum bag b4 vaccuuming to kill any fleas that may be in your carpet. They also like to get into the crevices around the skirting boards. You will also have to wash the dogs bedding.

There's a sticky about fleas here http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=92212

Yes it's my mum with the red spots. But I find it strange that she gets bitten when she's far from the backyard and the dog rarely goes into her room.

However the dog sleeps in the same room as me, and I don't seem to notice any problems.

Advantage have sprays? I thought it was just a tube you put on the back of the dog's neck?

Perhaps it might be a good first step to establish if your dog has fleas.

He's white so flea dirt in front of the base of his tail or elsewhere in his fur should be obvious. It looks like black dirt but will turn red if wet.

Are there cats in the house?

He's white so flea dirt in front of the base of his tail or elsewhere in his fur should be obvious. It looks like black dirt but will turn red if wet.

No cats, just one dog.

I have not really noticed any black dirt in his coat, I just noticed he scratches himself every now and then.

And my mum has red spots which she claims are flea bites.

No cats, just one dog.

I have not really noticed any black dirt in his coat, I just noticed he scratches himself every now and then.

I scratch myself every now and again. It doesn't mean I have fleas.

If you can't find any evidence of fleas on your dog, you may have a more general infestation. Neighbourhood cats are a common culprit.

No cats, just one dog.

I scratch myself every now and again. It doesn't mean I have fleas.

If you can't find any evidence of fleas on your dog, you may have a more general infestation. Neighbourhood cats are a common culprit.

Hmmm alright guys, thanks for the help.

I'll keep a closer eye on Shiro!