Bitza Test

Shmurps

If you have a spare $150 and are curious go for it.

But don't expect a clear cut picture of your dog's heritage as you may not get clear results (or any results) if your dog is a true bitsa.

Interestingly the dog in my avatar I just had done (obviously I have too much money :D ) comes back as more border collie than stafford!! He has twice as many bc markers as stafford, yet is mistaken for a "staffy" by inexperienced people almost every day in the street, he is short coated and black.

However both these are what are defined as secondary breeds ie either his parents were mixed breed or possibly the grandparents were pure, that is he doesn't have a lot of either stafford or BC in him. They did not identify any primary breeds which would be the case for an F1 cross or a purebreed.

It is not an exact science as my understanding from the info they send you is that some of the "signatures" are present in more than one breed so there can be crossover if your dog is a bitsa.

Ruthless on here wanted to find out what her obviously stafford cross was mixed with hers came back primary stafford (so mum or dad was pure) but no secondary results so she has discovered nothing!

My Lilly came back as 'pure bitsa'no breeds identified. I was so annoyed what a waste of money. Don't do the test unless you are prepared to throw that money in the bin. :D Lilly is the black dog in my sig and avatar.

Edited by valleywa

If your dog is too much of a 'mutt', I wouldn't bother with it.

Yeah I agree I think the name is misleading as you won't get true results (or potentially any) on a bitsa. Useful for those people whose dogs of unknown origin look purebred or almost purebred if they are curious.

I did think my dog was probably stafford x kelpie has he has working dog kind of behaviours and his head is narrow and pointy and his legs longer. So I guess for me it confirmed albeit different breed of working dog, what I suspected it. I would have guessed more stafford in him too so I guess that was interesting. It probably reinforces that so called F1 crosses can come out looking like anything along the spectrum of their parents too.

I still think its a load of crap. Nobody has had a result say "One parent was x, other parent was y" - its always "a bit of this, a bit of that" and most of the results seem totally wrong! I have said it before, but I would LOVE to get my boy done because he is an F1 cross and I saw both his parents. I bet the results wouldn't show that though.

I have one of these tests sitting on my desk and will be doing it tonight on one of my beagles. We know both the sire and dam of our girls are beagles (although ours aren't papered), but we are interested to see what the results come back as.

I know of someone who had their dog done and got the results they thought their dog was, maltese x shitzu. Someone else tested their Newfoundland and there were no results for the primary breed, but the secondary breed was a Scottish Terrier.

I'll let you know what results I get back.

As far as I knew there was no reliable DNA test for dog breeds (or even human race).

Although, I would love to test Charlie out. I know his fur-mum is purebred CKCS and his fur-dad is a purebred Shih Tzu, I've always been curious to see which side he takes after more in a genetic kind of way. He looks more CKCS but he has more traits of a Shih Tzu, I think.

Maybe I will wait 'till I have spare cash.

Seen it advertised for $99.

Not overly confident. I only know that they don't have a very big genetic data base. If they don't identify the breeds that make up your dog you stay on file and they let you know

when they have a match..Something along those lines anyway.

post a picture of your dog. Dolers will give you a free analysis :party:

I think that you would get much more accuarate results with this method :winner:

...the test seems to be a bit of a time waster IMO as it can't really tell you much. But then again, it can't hurt and if you have the money and want to know what comes up well why not. It'll be interesting to find out the results on Erin's dogs and if they come back as Beagles or something else.

Lilly is a cutie. Reminds me of a dog we used to have called Sally.

We went out one day to come home and find someone had broken into our house. After calling police we found nothing was missing but we found a beer box with a small black puppy in it..LOL Sally!

I used to have a GSDX that was kind of small and we weren't sure what she was crossed with. She basically looked GSD but smaller and investigation found out she was GSD X Kelpie. Each other pup out of the litter (that we found) looked Kelpie.

Now I have a GSD X Rotty that looks exactly the same as our GSD X Kelpie. Yet everyone mistakes her for a GSD X Wolfhound??? (Mainly due to her being hairy I think)

valleywa - I would have looked a lilly and thought she had kelpie in her, but I was definately wrong.

Ruthless has had the test done on one of her dogs, it came back 50% stafford and 50% unknown. There is a thread somewhere about it.

Lilly's mum was a stafford x looking dog (markings like Lilly but short hair, legs and a broad face) Lilly's dad was whatever dog in a nearby factory got to her mum when she was on heat. But Lilly and her mum both have the highest fetching instinct, Lilly used to fecth a leaf, a rock anything. Lilly has no sheep instinct (she likes to chase them at an amble and bark).

She is so beatiful (well I think) but she has the worst hips and arthritis in her elbows, knees. You can see in that pic her muscle wastage in her hind leg. She is going so grey. :eek: