Photos From Puppy Buyers

pure_breed

Im a puppy purchaser, and every couple of weeks I am recieving emails and phone calls from the breeder requesting photos and updates, I am not on a personal friend basis with the breeder, is this normal. I have not sent pics or updates to the breeder as I have been busy with a new job. Is this normal what is my obligation to this breeder, without being rude or nasty.

Cheers

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it only fair to keep the breeder up to date as they have put their heart and soul into looking after the puppies for the first 8 weeks (at least) of their lives, not to mention the pregnancy and worrying about the bitch

I would look at it as a common courtesy to let the breeder know the puppy has settled in and how much you love him.

Photo and emails from our puppy buyers is a regular thing. THey are so proud of their puppies they just want us to know how they are going.

It does not take much to send a pic and a quick note to let them know how the puppy is doing.

All best with your new addition

I take it you didnt like the response? Why ask the question.

As indicated photos allow the breeder to asses the situation. When you paid 'alot of money' you were not only paying for the pup but the years of experience and research the breeder has done in the breed.

Perhaps just let the breeder know that you feel uncomfortable sending pics- just remember for a lot of breeders their pups are just as important to them as they are to you. It also allows them to asses the entire litter for thier breeding plans- did one pup turn out the way they envisioned or were all pups of a similar type/style.

ETA- if you are planing on showing your pup pics will allow the breeder to identify faults and give feedback on how your pup is growing out.

Edited by woofenpup

Sorry pure breed,

Yes you may have paid a lot of money but think also of the breeder, she spent many hours perusing pedigrees and then choosing a stud dog, probably spent many dollars to get the bitch pregnant, making sure the bitch ate well, worried, waited, lost many hours of sleep, worried endlessly over the health of the dam and her puppies, fed them well, socialized them, her list is endless and

YOU CANNOT EVEN BE BOTHERED TO LET HER KNOW HOW THE PUPPY IS GOING, DEVELOPING AND GROWING YOU ARE SELFISH NOT EVEN A PHOTO. Would it really hurt you that much?? :D

STAYING IN TOUCH WITH THE BREEDER CAN BE BENEFICIAL FOR BOTH OF YOU.

I also ask puppy buyers to stay in touch it helps me assess my litter and know if I am on the right track with my breeding program.

Edited by Fordogs

I PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR THE PUPPY AND JUST WANT TO ENJOY HIM, I DONT WANT THE BREEDER HARASSING ME FOR PHOTOS AND UPDATES, SHE SOLD THE PUPPY TO ME AND THAT SHOULD BE IT, SHOULD SHE LET GO OFF HIM AND MOVE ON?

We always tell people that we would love to keep in touch and see how our puppies are going....some do and some don't bother....but you can be sure that if there is a problem then puppy buyers are very quick to get in touch.....an ongoing interest just says to me that this person is not a fly by night breeder or a puppy farmer and has a genuine interest and personal investment in producing quality puppies, be pleased that you dealt with a caring breeder...I am sure that sending a couple of photos will not stop you from enjoying him. Let the breeder know that you do not wish to keep in contact, but like I said before, if down the track you have any problems, it may be good to have communication with this breeder....

how hard is it to sent a photo :D , you don't have to become best friends with this person.

So much information can be gathered by seeing how the pup has turned out which in turn will benefit future breeding programs.

For someone involved in showing i would have thought that was important to you.

I may have read what you have written incorrectly but do you really mean in the 8mths you have had the puppy you haven’t once sent her a pic or update. If so I feel very sad for the breeder concerned. As a breeder I am responsible for ensuring my puppies live a wonderful life and keeping in touch with them is just part of that.

I PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR THE PUPPY AND JUST WANT TO ENJOY HIM, I DONT WANT THE BREEDER HARASSING ME FOR PHOTOS AND UPDATES, SHE SOLD THE PUPPY TO ME AND THAT SHOULD BE IT, SHOULD SHE LET GO OFF HIM AND MOVE ON?

Is it really so time consuming to take a couple of photos and email them to the breeder? Maybe if you could do this, the breeder will be happy and you can part ways?? Is it really so much to ask? It isn't like the breeder sold you a second hand fridge, breeders put their heart, soul and wallet into raising a litter, a little bit of respect for all that hard work to produce you a nice pup and you can't even be bothered with a small courtesy :D

Just explain you are very busy but puppy is doing well etc, nust shoot a quick email if you dont have time to upload a photo. we all love seeing and hearing about puppies we have bred. I hear from some of my owners and not from oothers.

:D That is just so very sad. Having recently lost my girl & her 12 pups, I'd be absolutely devastated if one of the new owners of my two remaining babies had an attitude like yours. I want to cry just thinking of your poor breeder, as they sound like one that cares. Us breeders invest so much of our heart & soul into the babies we bring into the world, how hard is it to send one photo.

There is nothing more delightful than seeing an occasional photo of a puppy that you have bred and hearing about the puppies progress. It does not have to be often - even every few months is enough. So much love, work, time and energy goes into breeding and I delight in every email and photo I receive about my puppies from their owners. I also take the time to respond, no matter how busy I am.

Fortunately I have sold my puppies to people who also enjoy sharing their news of their puppies and I feel very grateful that I have not had the misfortune to have sold to someone with your attitude. It is a shame you cannot find five minutes every now again to write a quick email or send a photo. I sincerely hope you can find enough time in your busy life to spend with your puppy. :D

As a breeder I like to keep in contact, for some it is a regular contact of email or photos, others let me know the puppy settled and that is about it, with maybe a photo at Christmas time, which is lovely. I always ring or email to find out how the puppy has settled and if they have any problems and let the people know that along with the puppy they have a lifetime of support from me.

I try not to 'pester' them too often, but if I haven't heard from them for a while, I may send a friendly email asking how they & the pup are going.

I have a folder on my computer and store all my previous puppies and new home info and photos in that and it is lovely to look back at from time to time and enjoy it.

I would be very sad if I had a puppy buyer that truly did not want to correspond and keep me updated at all! Of course you own the puppy, but you got that puppy from someone who obviously loved it and wants to know of its progress!

I think the least you could do is send an email and let them know you are busy, and if you do not want to keep in contact let them know so they can stop 'pestering' you. Sad, but at least the breeder will know where they stand!

I am always thrilled to get puppy updates and the occassional photo. I have felt it all worthwhile when I hear how happy people are with their new family member. As breeders we undertake to make sure, to the best of anyone's ability, that any puppies we breed have good lives. We want to know that there are no health or temperament issues because anything like that would give us valuable information for any further breeding. I think, also, we need the reassurance that we have made the right choice of home for our pups. We are often sleep deprived and exhausted by the time we are making final decisions and surely it is not asking too much for a new owner to write a short note of how pup has settled in and developing. I feel very sorry for the breeder of your pup; that you can find the time to complain here but not to write a short note to the person who worked hard so you could have the pup that you wanted, is a worry.

Dear Pure breed,

I am so so saddened to read this. As a new breeder myself I can tell you that it was a great pleasure to 'share' the pups growing up with the people that would 'own' them when they were ready to leave here. I am very grateful that most have kept some contact with me and I can 'see' how they developed. I am sure that your breeder is only interested in knowing that the pup is doing well and you are happy with it.

Would it hurt you a great deal to send a short note to tell the breeder?

Sadly

Linda