Photos From Puppy Buyers

pure_breed

When ever I open an email from my puppy buyers the whole family rush to see the photos and read the tales of what they have been getting up to. It is wonderful to know that these people are so happy with their puppy and that they enjoy every moment with them and want to share those moments with us their breeder >>>>

I still receive photos and a card every Christmas from a buyer who does not own a computer and she bought a puppy from my first litter 6 years ago.

It's Christmas send the breeder an update and some photos - Go on it won't kill you --- :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as a breeder I do kind of expect at least semi-regular contact. I don't expect a puppy person to become my best friend or be on the phone or sending emails constantly but an email every couple of weeks won't break your arm, even if you can't get photos straight away. Just telling the breeder how the puppy is developing or its latest antics is better than nothing.

I put my heart and soul into raising each and every puppy and I kind of expect that my puppy people continue that AND keep me informed as to the progress and/or any problems, issues etc.

I might add too that I state on my website that I expect every purchaser to maintain some sort of contact and I also have it written into my puppy agreement that you agree to this. Naturally, I can't force anybody to do this, but at least it makes my intention to remain in contact clear.

It's Christmas. Surely it won't hurt you to send a Christmas card or an email with a photo of the puppy and a quick progress update? How long does an email take?

You found time to come into the Breeders Forum and complain, couldn't you have used that time to send a quick email to the breeder to let them know that all is well?

From what I can gather from this post and your other posts is that your puppy is on main papers to be shown. No wonder the breeder is eager for an update and pictures. Would it really kill you to drop the breeder a quick email and some photos. Surely over the last 8 months that you have owned this pup you have a photo or 2 that you can send.

Just because the pup is no longer living with the breeder does not mean that the breeder no longer cares about the pup.

Do the right thing and contact the breeder.

It is people like you that put breeders off of selling pups with main papers. :laugh:

Leanne

Edited by Ozstar Kennels

Troll?

ETA: Not a troll, going off other posts...you've spent time posting and complaining, that would have been ample time to do the right thing and send the breeder an update on the puppy they put their heart and soul into raising!

Edited by Aziah

I PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR THE PUPPY AND JUST WANT TO ENJOY HIM, I DONT WANT THE BREEDER HARASSING ME FOR PHOTOS AND UPDATES, SHE SOLD THE PUPPY TO ME AND THAT SHOULD BE IT, SHOULD SHE LET GO OFF HIM AND MOVE ON?

Not sure what breed you have but with an attitude like that please don't ever contact me to get one of my babies. I put my heart and soul in to each and every puppy I breed and a quick update is all it takes to let me know that the puppy is going OK.

Edited by Yarrowfell

I PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR THE PUPPY AND JUST WANT TO ENJOY HIM, I DONT WANT THE BREEDER HARASSING ME FOR PHOTOS AND UPDATES, SHE SOLD THE PUPPY TO ME AND THAT SHOULD BE IT, SHOULD SHE LET GO OFF HIM AND MOVE ON?

Not sure what breed you have but with an attitude like that please don't ever contact me to get one of my babies. I put my heart and soul in to each and every puppy I breed and a quick update is all it takes to let me know that the puppy is going OK.

:laugh: :p :rofl:

Ditto :rolleyes:

I am another that loves hearing fron our puppy people!! From our last litter of 11, of the 10 we sold, I hear from 8 of them maybe once a month, and the other two every few months. 6 of the pups went to homes Interstate, so it is not possible for me to get to see them in person, and photos of the pups are the only way I can truly asses what the bitch produced.

I agree Ozstar, if it is a show dog, then I would think that you would be getting in touch with your breeder more often than not.

Its a great chance to ask their opinion about the pup and how they are developing compared to is parents, siblings and other relations???

It would worry me that you do not have the time to take a photo of your puppy and quickly contact the breeder to let them know how he/she is going, it would worry me because if you don't have 5 spare mins to talk about your puppy with the breeder than how much time do you have to spend with your puppy/dog.

The time that you have spent on here asking the question would have been enough to update the breeder on your pups progress.

Me, i personally love taking photos of my furkids progress, bragging about them and talking about any concerns i may have etc & who best to do that with than the breeder.

I can never get enough updates from my puppy buyers!

I received my first photos in 5 years of a dog that I bred and I was STOKED! It allows the breeder to not only assess the dog, but also assess if they made the right choice for the home.

The photos I received of Floyd showed that he is well loved and a part of the family. It's all I wanted to know. It took me sending a few pleasant messages through facebook over about 6 months for the owner to post photos but that is all I wanted. :rolleyes: I can be happy if I don't hear from them for another 5 years. (and the owner was actually thrilled to see that I was happy with the photos.)

Point is, if you send of a quick email and photos, the breeder will most likely stop emailing you and asking :confused:

I agree with everyone above!

I would love to be kept update with my puppies - pet or show prospects - seeing my pups grow gives me something to work off with future matings, and seeing as though I would have put my heart and soul into it and not to mention all the hard earned money into planning and providing, it does not take 5 mins to send a photo and a quick message after all your breeder has spent years perfecting her lines and breeding, the endless money spent, there is a lot of sacrifice a breeder undertakes for being a breeder not to mention what everyone else had said that is involved in getting one litter on the ground.

Most of the time a puppies price covers sh!t all of what a breeder has outlaid for that puppy, the litter, the mother - God my litter that I have just recently had cost me above and beyond $2,500 so far on vet bills, c-section and stud fees and I am not including the time I have taken off work unpaid, the sleepless nights, the worry, the food, the equipment (whelping necessities), and what is to come - registering puppy, vaccinating, microchipping, worming, flea treatment, vet checks etc etc the list goes on...... I only have the 3 pups so I wont be making any of that back and I never intended to either.

You have been lucky to have a breeder entrust you and to have a purebred on main papers - no wonder they want to know how they are going! What else do you expect.

Most people would love to know that with buying a purebred pup from a registered breeder that they not only get a lovely puppy, but they also get a breeders friendship who will offer help, advise and support throughout the life of the pup...

not going to say much more as it has been said.....

I feel so sorry for this breeder.

Imagine not knowing if your prescious baby was ok and doing well.

I let my puppy people know before I agree to sell them one of my babies that I expect regular updates.

At least to start with so I can see if there is any problems or advice that I can help the puppy to settle in with.

After that if I at least hear from them even if just a photo or an email every now and then I am happy.

If a prosepctive owner let me know that they did not intend to update me on anything they would NOT be getting one of my babies.

Why can't you just email a photo to the breeder. It wont cost you anything except a couple of minutes of your time?

Think how you would feel if you bred the pup?......

We haven't heard back from nearly all the owners of our last litter, the only time I hear about them is when I send an email, asking how they are going or there is one that comes back for grooming.

Really is it that hard to wash, clean, take a pic and send it off to them.

I had a fall out with a breeder cause I didn't add a dog to pic. Even if you aren't on friendly terms they allowed you to take home one of their pups they bred, shorly you could send them a little up-date.

Going by her other post I think it may be a Stafford. Would love to know ops name as she would NEVER get one of my babies and I would make sure her name is added to the black list :rolleyes:

Leanne

I wonder if you would feel the same way if the need ever arises that you have a problem and need advice from your breeder. I hope you also like other lines cause chances of getting another pup from this breeder would probably be zero. Also word of mouth is a powerful thing in the breeding/showing world.

I hope I never get a puppy buyer like you. :laugh:

Im a puppy purchaser, and every couple of weeks I am recieving emails and phone calls from the breeder requesting photos and updates, I am not on a personal friend basis with the breeder, is this normal. I have not sent pics or updates to the breeder as I have been busy with a new job. Is this normal what is my obligation to this breeder, without being rude or nasty.

Cheers

Given you have a puppy on full registry

your lack of contact is probably a cause of concern for the breeder - that there is something wrong with the puppy

and/or

that they made the wrong decision wrt choice of puppy owner.

I'm sure if you send the breeder a one liner - "all is well, puppy is great" + a photo

you will find the frequency of the emails ceases to be an issue.

You know when you're trying to get hold of someone, you keep ringing right?

well its the same kind of concept :laugh:

Edited by lilli

I have read this thread but prevented myself from posting until now.

I can see where everyone is coming from.

But I started breeding and selling kittens and subsquently pups way before the interent was even a twinkle in a developers eye. :(

I have always stated that I was there if people wished to contact me. I make a phone call about 2 -3 days after the pups goes to see how it all is. Signing off with feel free to call me with any concerns.

Over the years I have had a few phone calls and a few pups return for a visit. :laugh::laugh:

Since I put my breeders details on DOL I have had a few previous buyers Google me and then send an email with pics. This has been great.

A couple of people want another pup. :)

I belive that you can be there for the buyer but not expect constant contact.

However with a Show pup I believe that the buyer has bit more of a commitment to the breeder. This should be with a few pics and a quick email on how things are going.

I am selling my first Show/Stud to Qld and I will be wrapt when I know how he is going in the furture.

I have read this thread, including the concern of the new pup owner. Please do not "hang out to dry" the person asking the question, they are as entitled to make their choices as we (breeders) are. The way I read the enquiry it was that they actually were asking if this was "normal" for breeders to request updates - resoundingly the answer is YES, does the new owner "have" to comply, well there are two answers to this, basically the response is no, however, having said that would it be nice or good manners or politeness to at least respond even briefly advising how puppy is progressing and if a photo is available at the time to attach this for the breeder.

I am also a breeder and like Bilbo I phone the new puppy homes a few days after they have taken the puppy to live with them. At time of purchase I politely request they keep in touch with me, either a quick email or phone call every so often to let me know how the puppy is developing, if they have any problems please contact me asap so I can assist - I also advise them I will call them a few days after they take baby home to answer any questions they may have or if they are unsure if what baby is doing is "normal". If the puppy is going for show (and hopefully eventually breeding) then I do request that they send monthly update (if not local) so that I can guage how the puppy is developing, I also call from time to time. I must admit that I do endeavour to build a closer relationship with people who are wanting to show and/or breed with my "kids" and they are made fully aware of this prior to purchase.

I do ask for an occasional update on "pet" puppies if I haven't heard from them, but generally only up until they are 12 months of age, allowing that many people don't like being asked continually for updates past this time. We still get annual updates (or as I prefer pupdates) from about 70% of our puppy families, I do feel sad that the other 30% don't let us know how their family member is progressing but that is their choice.

I too have files/folders (both physical and electronic) on each of our litters/puppies and enjoy looking back over time and also seeing where things have gone right with my breeding program or where improvements could be made in subsequent breedings.

I can also understand the OP asking the question but when they recieved answers they come back with this attitude that I didn't like:

To many breeders puppies aren't just a "product" to be sold, there is much more than monitery value to our puppies. I don't expect my puppy buyers to live in my pocket but I would hate to have a puppy buyer who would rather whinge on a public forum instead of taking the same amount of time and sending me a quick email to let me know all is well. I stand by I hope I never get a puppy buyer like the OP.

Understand what you're saying Joley - I must have skimmed that bit. It was ironic (or maybe just timely) that just after posting my post I received an update from one of my puppy families, including photo's. The words are, to me, a great testimonial BUT the photo's made me go WOW!!!