Photos From Puppy Buyers

pure_breed

I can also understand the OP asking the question but when they recieved answers they come back with this attitude that I didn't like:
I PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR THE PUPPY AND JUST WANT TO ENJOY HIM, I DONT WANT THE BREEDER HARASSING ME FOR PHOTOS AND UPDATES, SHE SOLD THE PUPPY TO ME AND THAT SHOULD BE IT, SHOULD SHE LET GO OFF HIM AND MOVE ON?

To many breeders puppies aren't just a "product" to be sold, there is much more than monitery value to our puppies. I don't expect my puppy buyers to live in my pocket but I would hate to have a puppy buyer who would rather whinge on a public forum instead of taking the same amount of time and sending me a quick email to let me know all is well. I stand by I hope I never get a puppy buyer like the OP.

I was just about to post similar to JOLEY in response to your post Wuffies.

Constantly harrassing a puppy purchaser for photos and information isn't necessarily what I would call "normal" behaviour from a breeder. However expecting SOME kind of update from a purchaser is more than reasonable and perhaps getting concerned for the welfare of the puppy if such an update isn't forthcoming would be a natural response from most I would think.

Resistence to a simple request as shown by the OP concerns me. They show little regard for the breeder and their involvement in the production of the puppy and the rearing of it. Makes me wonder what kind of breeder they will be themselves one day and how they will treat their own puppy people?? :welcome:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Understand what you're saying Joley - I must have skimmed that bit. It was ironic (or maybe just timely) that just after posting my post I received an update from one of my puppy families, including photo's. The words are, to me, a great testimonial BUT the photo's made me go WOW!!!

Yep, every year I get a Powerpoint Presentation from one of my "grandkids" showing his year in pictures. It's amazing to watch him grow and develop and to experience his world with him. I really look forward to my Christmas Card!! :welcome:

I PAID ALOT OF MONEY FOR THE PUPPY AND JUST WANT TO ENJOY HIM, I DONT WANT THE BREEDER HARASSING ME FOR PHOTOS AND UPDATES, SHE SOLD THE PUPPY TO ME AND THAT SHOULD BE IT, SHOULD SHE LET GO OFF HIM AND MOVE ON?

Why the caps - no need to shout?

Can I ask what your hiding by refusing to reply to the breeders requests / photo for information on how the pup is going?

So you have this dog on main registration and you refuse to reply to emails - don't you think that is RUDE.

Not only does this say what sort of owner you are but it also says what type of breeder that will most likely be.

I feel very sad for the breeder.

Edited by Andisa

As a breeder I always want to know how any pups are going. Its good to know if there are any health issues and to know the temperment of the pups in their homes. Also I like to just keep track of where they all are.

In fact one of the best contacts I had was from a person that got a pup from us and two years later sent me a nice letter explaining how their (now) dog had alerted them to the presence of a snake in their yard not far from their three and five year old children. Not only did the dog raise the alarm and hence protect the kids it then also joined in the "game" of catching the invader.

Now to me that one letter and the actions of this one dog that I breed is one of the most rewarding things that I know of.

When you breed a litter of pups and then have one of the owners of the pup write to you and thank you for breeding a dog that saved their kids, then you may understand.

Another way to look at this. If there was a problem with your dog you would want the breeder to help wouldn't you? is it so hard to send a photo so that when you want help someone will be there to help you.

When you stay up all night while your bitch whelps a litter or you have to race her off for an emergency c-section at midnight,then stay up all night with her pups feeding them from an eyedropper and keeping them warm while mum recovers, and only leave them to go to work the next morning then rush straight home afterwards to relieve whoever filled in. When after two or three days you hold in your hand a pup that didn't make it. When you cry about that pup and beat yourself up for days wondering what you did wrong with that one pup (when really there was nothing you could do) Maybe then you might understand what breeders put into producing that pup you have. It takes only a minute or two to take a photo and send it.

But in return the breeder would be there if you needed any help.

When we breed a litter after months ....sometimes years of planning, we are so thrilled (and also very sad) to see them all go off to their new homes and families, but it doesn't end there. As breeders we need to know what they are looking like as they grow. Some are bigger than they should be, some perhaps a bit small, some are very out going some a little shy.......and so it goes on. We do need to know these things, we can't just guess how each and every puppy turned out, and hope that the new owners are happy with the puppy they bought from us. We love to see them growing up just as if they were our children, we are very proud of the puppies we breed and we hope the new owners are happy and very proud of the puppies we sell them.

It is wonderful to receive updates, particularly in the first 12 months or so and then probably not quite as often.

I would be devastated if I sent a puppy off to a new home never to see a pic or hear about all the wonderful things they get up to. A puppy is not like a car or a lounge suite........he is alive!!!!

A pic and a few lines every month or so for the first 12 months is all that is needed, when you buy a pure bred dog you should be made aware of the time and money and tears at times, invested by your breeder, and not be upset by requests by the breeder to see some pics of the puppy they have bred

No we dont ask or expect any of our buyers to send photos or keep in touch,we certainly encourage the fact we are there for help/after sale care & general info & that is in our puppy folder & the greater majority do phone if they have an issue but as for photos generally the only time is with the spay paperwork.

We follow up after they have left but in all reality once the pup has left i dont believe we have any right to demand updates nor annoy people unless some form of arrangement was made or there was something in the sale aspect that would mean both parties would be involved for different purpose.

Im gathering as the pup is on mains that it was purchased for a reason & something discussed between both parties

Having said that i think there is some part of the situation missing here which could make the whole issue different.

I personally cant figure why the breeder is supposedly harrassing for no reason on photos,that seems odd & not normal but you not replying also is just as odd yet coming on here to happily vent & ask :eek:

Maybe the breeder didn't get to know you as well as she should have. I know by the time my puppies leave,( because I am told by the buyers), that I will be receiving lots of piccies and updates, just as I send the buyers regular piccies and updates as puppies are growing,(around once a week) . A lesson learned for the breeder to ask buyers in future, most buyers won't mind at all.

Edited by Bokezu

I am also amazed that breeders of purebreed dogs can let their puppies go and not want to see how they are looking as they grow, and at least by 12 months to get a good idea of how the dog they bred looks.

I'm also interested in the health aspects.

Yes, I like to know what they look like and whether they have changed or lived up to my hopes and expectations for the breeding, but most importantly, I want to know of any health or temperament "issues" that I can address for future generations.

I am certain, if there was a problem with this persons pup that they would make time to email the breeder then...

I used to chase pup buyers especially from my first 2 litters as i was so excited. Some were happy to keep in regular contact, others i got the feeling werent so happy after awhile. Ive slowly over the last almost 3yrs weaned myself off doing this, i make contact usually the next day the pup goes to see how the first night went, and ive let the buyers know the whole time before and when and after they get the pup i am here for any reason big or small should they need advice.

Took me a few years to stop myself panicking when i didnt hear from every owner every month :hug: but its just not worth the risk of making them shitty. If i havent heard from anyone for a few months i will email them though just to see if all is well. The dogs birthday or Christmas is a good time to do it as its not so obvious :thumbsup:

I am also amazed that breeders of purebreed dogs can let their puppies go and not want to see how they are looking as they grow, and at least by 12 months to get a good idea of how the dog they bred looks.

Yes, I like to know what they look like and whether they have changed or lived up to my hopes and expectations for the breeding, but most importantly, I want to know of any health or temperament "issues" that I can address for future generations.

Absolutely health and temperament first and formost,and I'm sure most puppy buyers would contact the breeder pronto if there were a problem, but why breed dogs if you have no interest in what they look like as adults, why are you breeding them, is it not to better the breed? do some breeders really not want to know? or is it because they know what they will look like as adults already, maybe this is true in some breeds, but not in mine.

Absolutely health and temperament first and formost,and I'm sure most puppy buyers would contact the breeder pronto if there were a problem, but why breed dogs if you have no interest in what they look like as adults, why are you breeding them, is it not to better the breed? do some breeders really not want to know? or is it because they know what they will look like as adults already, maybe this is true in some breeds, but not in mine.

Of course I want to see what they look like as adults. As I said, I want to see how/whether they have changed or lived up to my hopes and expectations for the breeding, but what is the point in DOING the breeding if the resulting dogs are unhealthy?

It's really a very fine line. What's the point in breeding the most amazing looking creature if it is not sound or sane?

Maintaining an interest in littermates health helps to paint an overall picture of what you are doing as a breeder.

Of course I want to see what they look like as adults. As I said, I want to see how/whether they have changed or lived up to my hopes and expectations for the breeding, but what is the point in DOING the breeding if the resulting dogs are unhealthy? my point exactly, all breeders have a right to be kept up to date with the health and or any temperament issues of their puppies, and while they are corresponding a picture would be nice, don't know why any buyer would have a problem with that

It's really a very fine line. What's the point in breeding the most amazing looking creature if it is not sound or sane?

You would hope said buyer would let breeder know straight away if puppy was not sound or sane

Maintaining an interest in littermates health helps to paint an overall picture of what you are doing as a breeder.

Absolutely, and I don't understand breeders who send them off without maintaining some contact

Absolutely, and I don't understand breeders who send them off without maintaining some contact

So the ones of yours who dont maintain contact what do you do?/

In all reality the pet photos you get sent dont tell you anything ,especially if its just fido sitting in the arms of the owner.It doesnt tell you if there mouth is good,eyes are clear,hips/elbows etc etc.I tells you there well loved but not what we are looking for.

Everyone would like to keep contact but you cant force owners who have paid for a dog to be at your beak & call & insist they keep in touch ,i want our puppy buyers to feel they can contact us at anytime without being pushy & be there when it counts.

Of course I want to see what they look like as adults. As I said, I want to see how/whether they have changed or lived up to my hopes and expectations for the breeding, but what is the point in DOING the breeding if the resulting dogs are unhealthy?

I don't think any breeder would do a breeding if they knew they were going to get unsound, insane, or unhealthy puppies

Edited by Bokezu

I don't think any breeder would do a breeding if they knew they were going to get unsound, insane, or unhealthy puppies

Of course they don't, but the reality is that a breeder doesn't have a crystal ball and genes hide.

Murphy's Law says it is the puppies which are not retained by the breeder who get the nasty things and many breeders, having lost touch with these puppies never know and breed on with a particular dog or line, oblivious of what is happening to their dogs out in Joe Q land.

They could (perhaps) be forgiven for continuing to breed more of the same, not intentionally, but unknowingly because they haven't had all of the parts for the particular jigsaw puzzle.

So the ones of yours who dont maintain contact what do you do?

In all reality the pet photos you get sent dont tell you anything ,especially if its just fido sitting in the arms of the owner.It doesnt tell you if there mouth is good,eyes are clear,hips/elbows etc etc.I tells you there well loved but not what we are looking for.

Everyone would like to keep contact but you cant force owners who have paid for a dog to be at your beak & call & insist they keep in touch ,i want our puppy buyers to feel they can contact us at anytime without being pushy & be there when it counts.

I have only had two litters so they all maintain contact and send lots of pics and a couple ring me quite regularly to tell me all about their puppies, others e-mail around once a month keeping me up to date with the happenings in their puppies lives.

I didn't ask it just happens, if there was no contact I would e-mail asking if everything was ok, and asking nicely if it was no trouble could they send me a couple of pics of the puppy I bred for my breeding records, its nice to have one of them around 12 months old, of course you can't force them, its their choice, but I think most reasonable people would oblige

How terribly sad for the breeder :-(

And just flicking through the op's posts - all those questions could probably have been answered by your breeder if you'd bothered to keep in touch. You could have learned a lot from an experienced breeder / exhibitor.

a good breeder & puppy purchaser relationship can be a wonderful mentoring process, it sounds like your breeder is interested in their pups - I can assure you not all breeders are as diligent.

fifi

eta: You were very lucky to get a dog on the full register if you are new to showing, and one of the lovely rewards for a breeder is to see their progeny in the ring - doing well & being loved by their owners.

the BIG money you paid is the very least of a breeder's goals.

Edited by fifi

I tell all of my puppy owners that i would love to receive pics,regularly or not so frequent,and to let me know if they are having any problems,whether training,health etc.

I have had people send me cds of their pups,thank you letters,a video of one of my hand raised pups (Clinton) playing with ice cubes-all of that i love to receive.

I normally chase new owners up after a week or two to make sure everything is ok,and again re iterate i am happy to have contact at any stage.

One of my puppy buyers from Leilas litter has even invited us up for holidays to QLD!!!

There is nothing better than getting feedback 1,2 or more years down the track

I've not bred a litter yet but I've run a rescue group for 5 years. In that time we've rehomed loads of dogs and puppies and everytime I rehome one I tell people that we love to know how they're going. We don't say that just to be polite - we really want to know. One of our favourite pages on our website is our success stories page where people send through pics of the dog they adopted and a little story about how it is doing in its new home. Every email I get is precious and confirmation that I'm doing a good job.

When I have my first litter I would be heartbroken to not hear how my babies go. My dogs are my pets first, my babies. If one has a litter I will be so excited, it will be like grandchildren. I will raise them with care and much love. I will send them out to homes where I think they will be loved and cared for like I do their mother. They will feel like my dogs. Given how much I will love them to let them go at 8 weeks and never hear another thing about them would be heartbreaking.

I have a 10 year old JRT - I send his breeder an email every 6-12 months and she loves those emails. She loves to see how much he looks like his Dad who is still alive. She loves to see how he sleeps on the lounge or my bed and lives a life of pure luxury. I love that she cares so much about how happy the puppy she bred 10 years ago is.

My daughter has a Cavalier - everytime I see his breeder at a show she asks how he is going. She compares my little stories about him with her experience with his Dad. I watch his relatives run around the ring and see the similarities. It is lovely.

So - it doesn't matter if you've bred the litter or just rescued it IMO - when you've put your time, love and effort into it you sure appreciate hearing how they're going down the track. Yes you've paid for the dog but can you not understand and appreciate the affection the breeder still holds for your dog? Surely that is a good thing?

If for some reason it is not something you're comfortable with - would it hurt to send an email advising that your dog is healthy, happy & loved and that you're not overly comfortable with keeping in touch for the rest of its life? At least the breeder knows.