First Time Stud Dog Will Not Mount

olegna17

Hi all,

I have been a VCA registered breeder for the past 2 years but have never had my dog used as a stud dog. I have very little experience from the dog side of things. I have always mated my bitches with other dogs. He lives at home with me with no other dogs. He is 18 months old and this is his first time my first time and the bitches first time. The bitch had a reading of 4.7 on Friday so we tried last night she is been tested as I write this message. I know she may be not quite ready but what concerns me is he showed no interest at all just running around madly lots of licking she seemed to be having lots of fun growling only a few times he never tried to mount her once nor did his penis ever protrude. He usually will mount anything that moves. Could somebody with more experience than I, please help? I want to do the right thing by the bitches owner by not wasting his time.

Edited by olegna17

She needs another progesterone test to make sure she has actually ovulated. Bitches are funny things ..... she may only be rising very slowly or have dropped back down again.

How is her vulva looking? If it isnt quite large and squishy with less 'red' blood more yellowy/dilute she might not be ready.

My advice is do another prog 4.7 doesnt mean much unless it has risen and the bitch has confirmed as ovulating. That would explain the 'playing' but no sexy times :hug:

Good Luck!!!

When the bitches prog test reads that she has ovulated try them again, keep them in a confined area, eg the laundry so that they do not get too tired out, if nothing happens then I would suggest that the dog and bitch be taken to the vet and have an AI done.

Good stud dogs do not attempt to mount a bitch unless she is spot on and sometimes for them this can be as much as 48 hours after the prog tests say they are ready. If the next test shows she has ovulated it may be wise to get an AI done for everyone's piece of mind. It removes the stress and often gives "learners" a bit of idea of what is required and they manage on their own within a few hours of having the AI done. Most young studs work it out for themselves but some need a bit of help to get them going. If you get an AI done then keep trying for a natural mating for several days.

Above all don't stress or try to force the dog or you may end up with a dud stud dog. Sometimes letting him see the bitch through a fence works to tease them into action so that when you let them together he will get on with it. Also if the bitch is just standing, putting her on a lead and running her around the yard so that he can chase her sometimes does the trick. Also don't try for a mating in the heat of the day.

Keep in mind that not every season is normal in every bitch. If the dog knows something is not quite right he may not want to mate her. This happens with even the most experienced stud dogs. The time she is right for mating can vary from a few hours to several days. I had one years ago to my experienced stud who would not mate her at 4pm. A try at 11pm was successful but by the next morning he wanted nothing more to do with her. She had one puppy so I offered a repeat mating. The next season the dog happily mated her three days in a row and she 6 puppies. I assume that she had fluctuating hormone levels with that first mating and the dog knew it. The second attempt was a textbook season, matings and whelping.

I might add here too that my most recent experience with a young (virgin) stud dog was that he wasn't even interested in anything other than play until one day when the bitch at the end of her season was left at home and he was taken out to a show.

He jumped out of the car, apparently took one sniff and in the blink of an eye tied with her. I'm still not too sure who was the most surprised at his speed and skill.....her, me or him! :hug:

And editing to add: It wasn't planned either. It was a major OOPS moment on my behalf when I let him out of the car because I had completely forgotten that I had let her out of her pen to stretch her legs whilst I unpacked! :hug:

Edited by ellz

I might add here too that my most recent experience with a young (virgin) stud dog was that he wasn't even interested in anything other than play until one day when the bitch at the end of her season was left at home and he was taken out to a show.

He jumped out of the car, apparently took one sniff and in the blink of an eye tied with her. I'm still not too sure who was the most surprised at his speed and skill.....her, me or him! :thumbsup:

And editing to add: It wasn't planned either. It was a major OOPS moment on my behalf when I let him out of the car because I had completely forgotten that I had let her out of her pen to stretch her legs whilst I unpacked! :(

LOL Ellz - :D I love how you write who was more surprised!!! lol - I can just imagine the minutes after the "moment" - you, your boy and girl standing there dumb foundered with disbelief!!!! :D :(

Anyway on with my story - My boy was a "virgin" and about 16 months old and same kind of scenario - never knew what a "female" was as he was my first pom and he lived with me up until then. Now we have our own girls and I know when they are in season as he will disappear :) and not want to play ball with me :(

His loss of virginity was a good year and a half ago - lol - and at the time he just played with the girl and I was getting worried that 'time was ticking by' and she was nearing the end of her cycle, having her discharge already changed to a light straw colour suggesting she is close to ready (breeder of girl did not do prog test) and still nothing was happening ..... I gave it a few more days and noticed the girl start to back up to him a few times and finally it just clicked in his mind and PRESTO! deed was done!!! I agree with everyone else, girl does not sound like she is ready - Is this girl been bred before or inexperienced as well??

He jumped out of the car, apparently took one sniff and in the blink of an eye tied with her. I'm still not too sure who was the most surprised at his speed and skill.....her, me or him! :thumbsup:

And editing to add: It wasn't planned either. It was a major OOPS moment on my behalf when I let him out of the car because I had completely forgotten that I had let her out of her pen to stretch her legs whilst I unpacked! :xmassmile:

:D :D Sem Sem.

Young Rev has known to mount and hump in play no biggie but we would say Rev stop it and he would.

Had had an on heat girl around over the weekend but we made sure she was safe. :xmassmile:

Got in the shower and Rev mounted mum of the one on heat over the weekend. Told him off and they both disappeared out of the bathroom. Thought she could not be on heat as BBJ looked at her on Friday when we discovered the daughter on heat.

Well could not do anything about it as in the shower.

Got out of shower and dried myself and went into the kitchen and they where tied and he had turned around and fallen over as she sat down. The look on his face was priceless .What the F&()*)_*()_ have I done. :(:(:):(