Vaccinations

ellz

It is a common thing in the cat and horse show and breeding worlds to self-administer vaccinations.

Does anybody here do that or has anybody ever been tempted to do so?

Obviously you cannot access Hepatitis or Distemper Vaccines but it is possible to purchase Canine Cough and Parvo vaccines privately.

Would you?

I do. Parvac can be purchased from vetdirect? comes in a cold pack and works out about $12 each with postage.

But i also use ivomec horse tubing liquid fo rheartworm (vet put me onto it years ago) once every 6 weeks.

Used to be able to buy the C3 over the net too,but that stopped a few years ago.

Most of us use the Goat and Sheep Ivomec.

If used at the dose rate of 1ml per 16kg of body rate it will also clean out Hook or Whip worm.

Used at this dose rate I have been Heart and worming my dogs for more years than I can remember.

Cheers

All good in theory but I really think you are opening yourself up to being sued by a puppy buyer, if you sell a puppy without a vacc from a vet and a vet check that goes along with it.

That of course is assuming that the vet DOES a vet check when vaccinating. Sadly, I know of many who don't.

That of course is assuming that the vet DOES a vet check when vaccinating. Sadly, I know of many who don't.

Why would you let a vet get away without giving the pups a full once over? That is part of the having a vaccination done and no vet should give a vacc without doing it. Even if checked after birth I would want them done again before they go.

My pups all went with vet certificates declaring they had been examined and were healthy, vacc, and microchipped. Sorry I don't get it, and I also don't get why anyone would want to do their own vaccinations.

Hey, I'm not saying I do or that I am going to. But the subject has arisen on a couple of email lists lately as well as on a cat forum and a horse forum so I thought I would broach the question here.

And apparently it isn't as isolated as one would think if the responses here and the ones I have received privately are any indication.

Editing to add: The vet I use for vaccinations also does a routine fecal smear for worms. NO other vet I have ever been to does that routinely when checking puppies over. And no, I wouldn't take my puppies to a vet who doesn't give a full once over during vaccinations, skin, coat, eyes, ears, heart, testicles etc. But yes, sadly there are vets who do breeder vaccinations at a "discounted" rate and seem to think it then follows that they give discounted service as well.

Edited by ellz

Sorry I don't get it, and I also don't get why anyone would want to do their own vaccinations.

I did my own vaccines regularly when I lived in Canada for the following reasons:

1)I gave parvo only at 5-6 weeks as having a black and tan breed, we are highly succeptible to the disease and my area was rampant with it. I could purchase Parvo only vaccines from USA suppliers. My vets would not administer parvo only unless the vaccine was ordered specially and at a fairly high cost. They would not administer the vaccine that I purchased.

2)I then gave the equivalent of a C4 but in partial doses, that is one vial split for two pups. Why? Because only a minute amount of the vaccine is needed to kick in the immune system for the dogs, and how can you justify the SAME dosage for a 1 pound chinese crested pup compared to a 8 pound Great Dane puppy of the same age? This was given at 7 weeks.

3)I followed up at week 8 with an additional partial dose of Parvo only (half vial each pup)

4) At no point during this time was I required to take or subject my pups to one of the worst possible areas to contract a disease (a vet office) This is NOT a slam on my vets who were clean and tidy, but the reality is simply things like Parvo are so easily picked up and a rural vet practice that also deals with large animals can contain many possible problems for young baby dogs.

5)I cut down severely on vet costs because of my practices which meant I did not have to pass these expenses on to my puppy buyers.

6)I never lost a pup to Parvo or any other canine disease with this protocol.

7)At 8-9 weeks depending on when the pups were to leave, they would be vetted because it was required for flying them as most of mine went to the States. Anything I got ear cropped was vetted at that time prior to the surgery. All pups that left my home were at some point vet checked. Without administering vaccine, the vet check for a litter was $35 for the first puppy and half for each additional pup brought in at the same time. Once again, I was able to satisfy that the pups were healthy for their age, provide the proper documentation, and not add ridiculously high vet costs to the purchase price of the puppy.

I have never had a single buyer for any of my pups complain about this proceedure.

All good in theory but I really think you are opening yourself up to being sued by a puppy buyer, if you sell a puppy without a vacc from a vet and a vet check that goes along with it.

I dont do my own for puppy vaccs,they have to be done by a vet as they are C3. I only used to do my adult ones myself and that was before th e3 yearly vacc protocol came in and you could still buy C3 through the suppliers I dont know of any one that does there own puppy ones,as my vets give them a thorough health check at the same time.

Edited by centitout

I use parvac on all rescues that come through my door that dont have proof of vaccination. I also worm my dogs (but not young puppies) with panacur 25 given at 1ml per 10kgs bodyweight, and heartworm with ivomectin if neccesary at .01mls per 10kgs of bodyweight. This cuts costs down enormously. I buy parvac at 10 doses for $65 I think it is. So its $6:50 per vacc.