Grover Is Really Sick - Another Change

Trisven13

Steve's precious Deerhound Grover is very, very ill and I think he is going to die.

I'm hoping like nothing else that I am wrong but I have a bad feeling.

:laugh::rofl::o:rofl:

We all went for a walk this morning at around 10am for 40 minutes - a slow, gentle walk on an overcast day, not very hot at less than 30 degrees. He was panting excessively when we got home so I turned the air-con right up and gave him a drink. It never occurred to me it could be heat-stroke as it just wasn't that hot.

40 minutes ago we could smell dog shit and went into the loungeroom and he was lying in his crate in a pool of shit and urine refusing to get up.

He is at the vet and I'm cleaning up. I've talked with Fifi and given some other stuff that we've not really thought about (having no experience with giant breeds before Grover) we think maybe he has a pre-existing problem with his heart though of course heat-stroke is always possible. I feel so bad - I insisted we go for a walk because we're doing WW and I thought it would be really nice for us all to go out for a walk as a family with the dogs on Christmas Day. It wasn't hot and it was reasonably early so it seemed like the perfect day for it.

:rofl:

Edited by Trisven13

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve's precious Deerhound Grover is very, very ill and I think he is going to die.

:laugh::rofl::o:rofl:

We all went for a walk this morning at around 10am for 40 minutes - a slow, gentle walk on an overcast day, not very hot at less than 30 degrees. He was panting excessively when we got home so I turned the air-con right up and gave him a drink. It never occurred to me it could be heat-stroke as it just wasn't that hot.

40 minutes ago we could smell dog shit and went into the loungeroom and he was lying in his crate in a pool of shit and urine refusing to get up.

He is at the vet and I'm cleaning up. I've talked with Fifi and given some other stuff that we've not really thought about (having no experience with giant breeds before Grover) we think maybe he has a pre-existing problem with his heart though of course heat-stroke is always possible. I feel so bad - I insisted we go for a walk because we're doing WW and I thought it would be really nice for us all to go out for a walk as a family with the dogs on Christmas Day. It wasn't hot and it was reasonably early so it seemed like the perfect day for it.

Hi there Trisven13 That's so sad for you on xmas day my fingers, toes are all crossed for you and hope that your darling Grover will be ok. :rofl:

:rofl::o:rofl: :rofl:

Oh no, not beautiful Grover. He is so georgeous. I remember those beautiful hugs he was giving Steve on the couch. Just shows how much he adores you guys. Its not your fault, thinking of you all. :laugh:

Steve is home and the vet thinks he has had a heart attack. :laugh::rofl::o

She will spend the next 2 hours stabilising him - he has had some valium to lower his severely elevated heart-rate and is on a drip of saline & potasium. She will ring us if there is any change.

Trish, sometimes there are tiny signs that don't add up to anything until something goes wrong.

Vets never picked up Sox's congenital heart problem during routine health checks.

We didnt know until the worst happened, and it was only then that little things we noticed over her short life made sense.

I racked myself with guilt being a vet nurse & not noticing, but they were so subtle and varied that we had no idea.

Sending all our love & healing thoughts

fifi

edited for clarity.

Edited by fifi

ETA the vet says that she thinks he has a severely enlarged heart. After talking with Fi some of the things that we thought were just him being Steve's best mate are probably signs that he has always had a heart problem. He never wants to do long zoomies - just 5 minutes and stops, we practically have to force him to run when we go out to my parent's property. He pants heavily quite regularly - we just thought it was a Grover/Deerhound thing. Steve can also (despite my stern lectures not to do it) walk him off-lead anywhere and he just stays by his side. He is also undersized for a Deerhound.

This dog annoys the shit out of me, I won't lie, but I love him and Steve absolutely adores him. If he survives this today he will have x-rays to try to determine exactly what is wrong with his heart.

So sorry Grover is unwell. :laugh: Fingers crossed things will pick up for him now he has treatment.

I had a similar thing happen with one of my dogs years ago. After playing ball, the same thing happened. She lived another 7 years after that on medication, to 17yo. Once on meds, she was very happy and lived a wonderful full life. I hope and pray you have the same outcome with dear Grover. Fingers crossed and healing vibes from us. :rofl:

Keeping everything crossed here for Grover too. Awful thing to happen today.

My last wolfhound had an enlarged heart, never really wanted to run much, got very panty (even in cooler weather ) and very standy.He would just stand for ages with a vacant look.

Hugs to you guys :laugh:

Keeping everything crossed here for Grover too. Awful thing to happen today.

My last wolfhound had an enlarged heart, never really wanted to run much, got very panty (even in cooler weather ) and very standy.He would just stand for ages with a vacant look.

Hugs to you guys :laugh:

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? You've just described Grover in many ways :rofl: . I hate not knowing. The vet has said that she will only ring if things go bad. Poor Jana, she is not only our vet but she is our friend and I felt so bad disturbing her on Christmas Day. Thankfully, being German, they celebrated last night and she understood completely why we called her out when she saw him.

She had to stand him and hose all the shit and piss off him - Grover despises being hosed and will NOT stand still for it, even if it is a hot day. Steve said he just stood there blankly. He is not even 2 yet the poor boy.... :o