Phd Study

Elfin

I have just received an email inviting me (and anyone else I know that owns a dog, so that's you guys :( ) to participate in a PhD study on dog behaviour.

You are invited to take your dog along, it will be "temperament tested" and a DNA swab will be taken.

I became quite uncomfortable about the following statement from the information attatched to the email:

The development of an accurate behavioural assessment that measures these characteristics in dogs would assist in identifying dogs best suited for living in Australian society and could be used to select breeding dogs.

Am I reading too much into this statement?

Edited by Elfin

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could all be all above board and easy but since it took about 7 years for us to hold our dog around under the neck (this would have had her fail one of those early animal cops shows temp tests) IF I was actually interested I would want to know exactly what tests are done and exactly what the dog is expected to do. BUt why the DNA swab too (if it was to try and work out what breeds were in a mixed breed yes could see but otherwise why bother?).

What university is it associated with? Maybe get further information from there.

It struck me there was a leap from saying a 'temperament' test would be administered... to the development of a 'behavioral assessment' measure.

There's a difference between temperament & behaviour. Behaviour is mediated by a host of other factors.

That's then compounded by the statement, that the DNA data will be used to select 'breeding dogs', to produce dogs 'suitable for living in Australian society'.

Very mechanistic approach....nothing about the influence of humans on dogs' behavioural patterns.' And yet there's a study from a university (Cordoba, I think) which concluded dogs' owners have the most significant influence on their behaviour.

So it's a very not impressed, from me.

Edited by mita

It could all be all above board and easy but since it took about 7 years for us to hold our dog around under the neck (this would have had her fail one of those early animal cops shows temp tests) IF I was actually interested I would want to know exactly what tests are done and exactly what the dog is expected to do. BUt why the DNA swab too (if it was to try and work out what breeds were in a mixed breed yes could see but otherwise why bother?).

It looks like the DNA is to identify breeds.

I wasn't planning on attending; I am having trouble with the whole "suitable for living in Australian society" and "select breeding dogs" bit...

I (perhaps naively) thought that there were no "unsuitable" breeds, only unsuitable owners... :(

And what if, at the end, participants are told their adorably cute Oodle is an ideal breeding dog?

What university is it associated with? Maybe get further information from there.

It struck me there was a leap from saying a 'temperament' test would be administered... to the development of a 'behavioral assessment' measure.

There's a difference between temperament & behaviour. Behaviour is mediated by a host of other factors.

That's then compounded by the statement, that the DNA data will be used to select 'breeding dogs', to produce dogs 'suitable for living in Australian society'.

Very mechanistic approach....nothing about the influence of humans on dogs' behavioural patterns.' And yet there's a study from a university (Cordoba, I think) which concluded dogs' owners have the most significant influence on their behaviour.

So it's a very not impressed, from me.

My mistake, mita; I was the one that wrote temperament test. I have just re-read the info, and it actually only uses the phrase "behavioural assessment".

There is a passing reference to educating the public about dog behaviour and training. They also want the owners of the dogs to complete some questionaires. They seem to want to find out a way of measuring which dogs are the most "easy going, friendly, non-aggressive, relaxed and sociable".

That rules out my dogs, who would probably completely ignore a stranger! Snobs!

I don't like the sound of it either. As though someone is somehow 'setting up' for future restrictions. Not to mention their documented records of their 'findings' of you and your dog.

Who was the email from? Who is the overseer to the PhD study?

From memory the anthrozoology group is heavily involved in the development of 'ideal' characteristics based on what Australians 'say' they want in a dog, personally I'm on the fence about the concept of the 'perfect' dog for the 'average Australian' because what people say they want in a dog and what they actually want in a dog are often very different, for example people say they want a short coat non barking dog but they will purchase a dog often based on appearance because lets face it a breed might be totally suitable on paper but if you think it's ugly you aren't going to buy it are you?

I don't know but I'm not a psychologist so I don't really have all the details to mind, it has been suggested to me that this sort of research is aimed at promoting good temperaments within the existing breeds but some of the temperament traits people want aren't necessarily consistent with those found some breeds so it's a bit difficult to say that this type of research isn't going to have a detrimental effect on some breeds.

It's being run at Monash.

Overseen by Dr Pauline Bennett and Dr Linda Marston.

" Data may be reanalysed at a later date."

"Funding for this study has been generously provided by Petcare Information and Advisory Service and the Victorian Bureau of Animal Welfare."

I know both Pauleen and Linda. I would suggest that you contact them and voice your concerns. I get a lot of questions asked by participants about what I do and am always happy to explain. In my case I am restricted by human ethics and animal ethics and participants must sign an informed consent to take part.

My mistake, mita; I was the one that wrote temperament test. I have just re-read the info, and it actually only uses the phrase "behavioural assessment".

There is a passing reference to educating the public about dog behaviour and training. They also want the owners of the dogs to complete some questionaires. They seem to want to find out a way of measuring which dogs are the most "easy going, friendly, non-aggressive, relaxed and sociable".

That rules out my dogs, who would probably completely ignore a stranger! Snobs!

That's OK, Elfin. My comment would still hold true. Behaviour is far more complex than one assessment made at one time in one location.

Their 'finishing' point of measuring dogs that are the 'most easy going, friendly, non-aggressive, relaxed sociable'... may actually be dogs who were significanly helped to be so, by human behaviour. So they could pick up consequences of something they're not taking into consideration at all.

Critical issues re dog behaviour (& training) shouldn't be just the stuff of passing reference in a study with their stated aims. Especially as they're going to be using DNA data to nominate which dogs are suitable for Australian society.

I'm still very much not impressed.

Edited by mita

I know both Pauleen and Linda. I would suggest that you contact them and voice your concerns. I get a lot of questions asked by participants about what I do and am always happy to explain. In my case I am restricted by human ethics and animal ethics and participants must sign an informed consent to take part.

I am not smart enough to put my concerns into complete sentences!!

My "concern" is really a general feeling of uneasiness about using DNA to scientifically "prove" which breed (cross or otherwise) is most "suitable for Australian society".

The media could have a BALL with the results.

I am not smart enough to put my concerns into complete sentences!!

My "concern" is really a general feeling of uneasiness about using DNA to scientifically "prove" which breed (cross or otherwise) is most "suitable for Australian society".

The media could have a BALL with the results.

I beg to differ! I think you are more than capable...maybe do it via email so you can choose your words carefully. And yes, I do see where you are coming from.

I became quite uncomfortable about the following statement from the information attatched to the email:

The development of an accurate behavioural assessment that measures these characteristics in dogs would assist in identifying dogs best suited for living in Australian society and could be used to select breeding dogs.

Am I reading too much into this statement?

This statement says 'dogs best suited' not 'breeds most suited'. I think the gist of it is that they're trying to pin down behavioural differences WITHIN breeds, hopefully finding a genetic basis, with the hope of helping breeders achieve desired temperament. Could be something like trying to reduce yappyness and over-excitability . . . which are a problem in suburbs now that back yards are getting smaller and neighbours more in one another's face . . . or understanding the heritability of aggression. Even if I don't want to design a breeding program to produce the perfect pet, there are some behavioural tendencies that I would just as soon be able to keep out of my stock. If someone works out a better way to select for temperament, my ears are open.

sandgrubber, I just don't quite get the feeling that is what the study aims to do.

It is entitled "The ideal companion dog study" and NOWHERE mentions pure bred dogs or breeders, and it is being run my the psychology department not the biology department.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

I can forward the email to you if you like, just PM me your addy.

It's probably run through the psychology department because Pauline is a neuroscientist they did the same thing with the animal welfare course through monash it was run through the phsycology department because that's the department the supervisor was associated with, animal welfare tends to straddle the biology and the physchology disciplines so it's not surprising that it's come under that.

It's probably run through the psychology department because Pauline is a neuroscientist they did the same thing with the animal welfare course through monash it was run through the phsycology department because that's the department the supervisor was associated with, animal welfare tends to straddle the biology and the physchology disciplines so it's not surprising that it's come under that.

Fair enough.

It still doesn't mention pure bred dogs or breeders.

Not to worry, I am not participating, but may write a bumbling letter of concern to the PhD candidate anyway.

Fair enough.

It still doesn't mention pure bred dogs or breeders.

Not to worry, I am not participating, but may write a bumbling letter of concern to the PhD candidate anyway.

Cool, you may as well they might be able to clarify what the aims directly relate to and what the potential implications might be for breeders. :thumbsup:

I'm not an "Average Joe", so I wouldn't want someone else deciding what kind of dog would "suit" MY lifestyle... my girls are pretty much chalk and cheese in their breed mixes and temperaments - but they BOTH suit ME just fine thank you!

I'd be a little suss about someone offering to take behavioural data AND a DNA swab of my dogs to try to determine which breeds tend to display certain behavioural traits - environment plays a huge part in how a dog will "turn out" behaviourally IMHO...

T.