Unwell Puppy

jass63

Our puppy has something wrong with her, and I really don't know what to do.

She's shaking constantly, is lethargic, limping, has a nasty rash around her mouth and nose, and has two swollen and runny eyes, she's also covered in fleas. The obvious answer is take her to the vet, but we have no money until next week! What do I do? Ironically we live right across the road from a vet but they don't accept payment plans and insist on money at time of consult. I want to take her to the Lort Smith but we have no car and no way to get there. Does anyone know of any vets that accept payment plans in the Frankston area (Melbourne)? What can I do to help her in the meantime?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought that the Vet has a duty of care to the puppy, if the Vet is more concerned with money, i wouldnt use them anyway

I can't help you with any advice - i am in Sydney , but i hope your puppy gets the care it needs and soon

Pam

The vet is closed today so we have to wait until tomorrow but are going to ask them if they will let us pay some this week and more money next week. I feel so bad for the poor little girl. She was all happy and playful last week but now is just miserable :laugh: She still needs her last vaccination too which is due on the 9th of January (I'd budgeted for that but not for her suddenly getting sick).

Do you have flea wash, spot on or capstar that you can use to treat the fleas?

Did this come on suddenly or gradually?

What breed is your puppy?

Can you provide a pic?

Unfortunately no, no friends or relies.

She is still eating I've given her some dog biccies, we're giving her VIP pet food and Pal puppy biscuits. She thumbs her nose up at the water, but likes to drink milk (in small doses of course). She's pooing and weeing normally at least. I'm going to call the Lort Smith, I can catch a train and tram all the way in there. But probably wont be able to get in until tomorrow when I have some more money.

When did she begin shaking/lethargy/llimping/rash/swollen eyes? Really, she needs to be seen to ASAP and you already know that. Is there an emergeny vet near by - or perhaps a neighbour would be kind enough to give you a ride to a vet that is open?

Edited by Aziah

Oh dear, puppies very quickly go from being a little bit unwell to very sick as they are just babies.Beg, borrow or steal(not literally) to get that puppy the vet care it needs, if the vet across the road is closed look in the phone book and find another one nearby :laugh:

Edited by Robbi

We don't know our neighbours and literally have no one that can help with money or a lift my partners family are all in New Zealand and I don't talk to mine. I'm trying to call the Lort Smith, but they're engaged. I've been giving her baths every day. Everything is closed today because of the public holiday. I can get enough money together for a train ticket, I'll keep trying to Lort Smith. I just hope they don't want any cash up front, because I have nothing til tomorrow. Darn xmas and bank holidays!!

If you're going to bath her and don't have any flea shampoo, fill up the laundry tub with warm water and pop her in and let her soak for a few minutes while massaging the hair. Let that water go and then shampoo her, rinse that off and fill the tub again with warm water and dunk her again...this should help to remove most of the fleas for the short term.

Sorry...the limping and everthing started about 3 days ago and has gotten worse. At first it was one eyes that was swollen and puffy and today the other one has started getting swollen. We've changed her plastic bowls to metal ones, we thought maybe it is an allergic reaction to something. I keep trying the Lort Smith but just can't get through, and I can't find any other vets in the area that I can get to...still looking.

A puppy that is shaking constantly, lethargic, limping, has a nasty rash it's mouth and nose, has swollen and runny eyes and covered in fleas needs to be at a vets. She sounds very sick.

My advice would be to get her to a vet and quickly. If you choose not to then things you can do that may help her would be -

Give her a bath and get rid of the fleas with a flea treatment that you can buy from the majority of supermarkets. How did she suddenly become so infested?

Cammomile tea can be usefull for soothing inflamed eyes. Dunk tea bags in luke warm water, place over the eye, and let some of the tea run into the eyes.

Do not let her run around. Keep her crated or in a confined spot.