Kissing

HugUrPup

Play humping is more to do with dominance. They are trying to show the other one who is boss. It's not something I encourage at my house.

Cleaning/licking can also a dominance thing. In the majority of cases the dominant dog will do the cleaning of the submissive dog. My male cleans my females ears and face. He is the top dog of the pack.

Humping is out here it is unacceptable behaviour which can lead to issues down the track if you dont start to discourage it & not because of the children.

Remember what seems funny now isnt when it goes wrong.

Also it isnt good for the dog back.Our studs dogs go to chiro.bowen when used at stud to ensure there back isnt put out,it is also a reason why many breeders do AI to minimise the risk of damage.

Given that ollie has poppy eyes the eye cleaning can be more to due to other things & again something to discourage

Also it isnt good for the dog back.Our studs dogs go to chiro.bowen when used at stud to ensure there back isnt put out,it is also a reason why many breeders do AI to minimise the risk of damage.

Distrubing :mad

Wow really? Well it even's out because Ollie humps Miley and Miley cleans Ollie :mad

I do tell him to cut it out when he humps her though, but that's because we have children here :mad

Grabbing a book on canine body language and calming signals may help you understand this behavour better.

It's possibly as simple as Ollie humps Miley to make sure Miley knows Ollie is higher in the pack than her and Miley cleans Ollie to say yes I agree.

They never fight *shrugs* I don't encourage the humping at all, even still is there a huge issue with one dog being dominant over another if they never fight?

They also sleep cuddled up to each other.

Sas, what is disturbing? Dogs having sex or Bowen therapy? :mad

I certainly don't encourage humping here but it happens and as it doesn't happen constantly I leave it alone. It is not always dominance related either. Monte is the lowest of the pack here, regardless of the number of Pugs in my house and yet he will sometimes hump Boof (the pack leader) and Boof will sometimes hump him. It usually always happens at a regular time, and that is each evening. I believe the humping occurs to initiate play in this instance.

Jeune and Tamar are very very close: Jeune was an adult dog (FF) and Tamar was a six months old, very traumatised puppy when I picked her up from the pound mid 2004. Jeune was Tamar's mother figure and they are still very close. The cleaning of eyes and face is a very regular event usuall with Tamar standing beside Jeune and Jeune licking for all she is worth - LOL. Sometimes one of the other dogs will join in and from time to time they try to get me to join in as well :rofl: . I generally decline the invitation. :):confused:

Dogs are pack animals and pack members do all sorts of things for each other.

I always thought the lower in the pack did the cleaning. I am in trouble then because my Malt 'cleans' my eyes every morning while I wake up LOL.

Puggerup your two sound lovely and like they have their relationship well sorted out :) . my young boy just adores his mum (canine variety) and will often nuzzle her ears and lie down and lick her chops. They are both very relaxed and happy during these encounters :)

That's so sweet :)

My two never show aggression towards each other and both clean each other, so I am convinced it's puppy love rather than pack order and even if it is pack order..*meh* they aren't harming anyone anyway.

That's so sweet :laugh:

My two never show aggression towards each other and both clean each other, so I am convinced it's puppy love rather than pack order and even if it is pack order..*meh* they aren't harming anyone anyway.

Showing signs of dominance towards each other doesn't necessarily equate to aggression. My dogs lick each other around the mouth as a sign of dominance/respect for each other. The pack leader will either ignore them by turning away, baring his teeth or licking them back.

We tend to humanise our dogs a little too much.

I agree in your situation it appears to be harmless but it's always good to watch what they are doing and their reactions towards each other. :)

Edited by ~Midniara~

Hugo humps Fletcher (and i discourage it) and Fletcher never humps, but does licks Hugo's eyeballs.

Fletcher is pack leader, i believe. They have never fought, but they found a pack of liver treats yesterday in our spare room, i heard a bit of a grumble (thought it was just rough play so i yelled out to them to quit it, and they did) i went in a few minutes later to find Fletcher gorging on the treats and Hugo watching closely. That's right! Hugo watching on - the pug!! So Fletcher's dominance is more powerful than Hugo's tummy!!

Why do some dogs hump their bedding? I know a behaviourist who says it's nothing more than the fact that it feels good. Often hugo humping fletcher happens after play and zoomies - Why can't the humping just be a sign of high excitement and because it 'feels good' and actually nothing to do with dominance?