January Photography Challenge - Launched Early

Ashanali

This is the challenge that started all the challenges last year.

I decided to launch it early because people might be heading off on holidays and they can read this topic and still take a photo a day while they are away and add them to the thread when they return.

There is no theme, there are no boundaries. The aim of the challenge is simply to pick up the camera at least once a day for the next month. The photos don't have to be world beaters, it can just be a photos of your toes if that's all you have around you - you just need to photograph it and add it to the thread.

And just how successful is this challenge? Last years, "photo a day" ended up giving me two images that I entered into the Qld Pro Photography Awards and I then entered one of these in the Aust Pro Photography Awards (and won a silver). If I didn't take part in the challenge, I would never have taken the photos.

So pick up your camera and start shooting!!!

One photo per day for January :mad

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is such a hard but totally rewarding challenge - way to go, Ash, for putting it up!!

People don't realise how hard it is. Even though I have a camera in my hands most days, it's can be really difficult to motivate myself to take shots for 'personal satisfaction' on a daily basis.

I think I got through 17 days of the January challenge for 2009. Will see if I can go the full 31 for 2010 (even if I take photos on my iphone!)

It is hard... Though not as hard as doing it for the whole year!!!! I am about to finish my Project 365.... Only a few more days left!!!! :mad

Am I insane enough to keep going for a second year? :rofl: About a month ago I would have told you I was going to finish up this year and not keep going... But the closer I get to NYE (my final day) the more I want to keep going for a second Project 365. I have learned A LOT this year and I can't believe how much better my pics are when I look back at my early 2009 photos.

I would strongly encourage people to have a go at Photo-A-Day for January!! It's an awesome challenge!! :mad You find yourself taking photos of the most bizarre things and thinking of new ways to photograph boring objects. It's fun!

I hear that! The excellent thing about this challenge is that anything at all goes...last year I shot my laundry :rofl:

Yep, and I took a photo of a gardening fork thingy

3166410328_a6ee28373c.jpg

And nail polish I spilled on the floor!

3307433473_0ee374c4bf.jpg

I was going to start the Project 365 on the 1st of January so this is great timing. :mad

Wooooohooooooooooooooo! :mad

Wow, some great photos guys. I'm hoping both the January challenge and Project 365 will help me to look at ordinary things in a new and interesting way and improve my photography. Right now I feel like all I do is make Justice pose for me and take similar types of photos over and over again, so it will be great to challenge myself to have a different perspective on things and hopefully be a bit more creative.

Yeah, that's how I ended up with shots like this:

3960256945_978fe5562b.jpg

3912388548_f3e8ddf842.jpg

3885050573_f9a4fd963e.jpg

I'm hoping to raise the bar next year and see what else I can come up with!

Jedi is awesome!!

I wish Soaks loved getting her photo taken like Jedi... But she's just not into it and I end up with sad faces most of the time! :mad

I only got a couple of her this year doing un-natural things :mad

3943985013_87a5859094.jpg

3889503868_f5896f5b97.jpg

3892831736_8734110a3a.jpg

Maybe in 2010 I can bribe her more :rofl:

3943985013_87a5859094.jpg

:happydance2: I have never seen this one. Jedi is awesome..... almost as cool as Ralph ;) :rofl:

TN I think you have improved so much and very creative, I really enjoy your style. These DOL challenges have helped so many of us see photography in a different light and grow our styles.

Thanks Ash... you're awesome. :mad