A Question For Fellow Breeders....

ellz

When Fern had her 2 pups she was a bit overwhelmed with them for the 1st 3 days so I put the pups, at night, in their own box, away from her and went to my bed, as soon as the pups made a noise I got up and put the pups on Fern, toileted them, put them back in the box and went back to bed. Mind you my bedroom is off the lounge room where they were so I could hear everything. Though the 1st night I did spend on the couch, right next to the whelping box. Once Fern totally accepted them I still slept, or laid, in the bed as I could hear everything, and was up multiple times overnight.

Original plan was for Fern to have the pups in the spare room as it has a bed in there too but I thought that might stress Fern out too much being away from her usual place, the couch :laugh: Fern's next litter will most likely be in the lounge room again and once the pups are a week or two and depending how many, the whelping area will include a couch for Fern :thumbsup:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if you need to, make make no difference to some mishaps.

I do it as I can't relax if I am not close by & wake up at the slightest squeak. Would feel awful if something happened, not sure what, & I was fast asleep & unaware.

Depends on the breeders nature as much as the dog size really, mine are toy breed.

Natural matings, all prog testing is done by the dog. If he can't tell me when they are ready, he's a dud!! Every dog I've ever had would say " oi, this is IT"

No xrays, no scans. The bitch is either pregnant or not. If not, it's too late. Nothing I can do about it. Save the money for later. By the time they are 5 - 6 weeks, you know whether they are pregnant or not. I can usually have a good guess as to how many, and that does me. I've had x rays done which haven't told me how many, and I only want to know in case the last one isn't delivered, but I can usually feel if there's one left anyhow.

Natural whelping. Caesarian if necessary. I think we do more caesarians for malpresentations now because we, and vets are not as good as they used to be in delivering stuck pups. Sometimes nothing else will do. I haven't had iinertia for years - only when it was a big litter and the little mummy was tired. And usually a little rest, a bit of glucodin, a nice drink, some calcium, and a big rum for me sees it all work out. If not, off to the vet.

I'm sorry I said that, will probably have inertia every time one whelps now!!

If the bitch is a poor mother or very stressed or whatever, or looks like sitting on the pups - in fact, if it looks as if I need to stay, whatever the reason - I do.

I had one lie on two pups right in front of my eyes!! She sat up, and dropped her brisket on them. There was nothing I could have done. I grabbed one from underneath her, and got it going, and it was ok.

So, I guess, minimun interference. Unless there is some danger.