Staffordshire Bull Terrier Colour Possibilities

Purple Diamond

Yes and I would think that the CC has the power to demand that the breeder organise to do so or the entire litter can be deregistered.

If the breeder does not test the rest of the litter and have the registrations corrected then the CC will demand that it is done. The rules are very clear about this now. In the case of this particular puppy that has already been tested, his papers can be corrected by the CC immediately proof of DNA testing is provided.

How can they correct the papers when it is now a case of father unknown?

I believe it was mentioned earlier the breeder said one of the other dogs must have mated the bitch?

I guess she has more than one on the property?

ETA this bit from an earlier post.

now she is saying one of her other dogs must have mated to the female very early or late in her cycle.
Edited by Rommi n Lewis

She shouldn't have to pay to lodge a dispute of parentage I wouldn't think. That is a very serious matter, especially given she already has proof of the incorrect sire.

She needs to contact the CC in a calm, concise manner with all current documentation and they will take over. It's not a matter of causing trouble for a breeder so whilst I can understand she might feel uncomfortable, it is VERY important that the matter be given to the CC to deal with. They SHOULD contact the breeder and demand that all other puppies, the dam and any possible sire be tested so as to ascertain correct parentage in order to correct the records. If the correct sire cannot be determined, then the litter will more than likely be deregistered.

If I were your friend, I'd be returning the puppy to the breeder for a refund or at the very least, asking for reimbursement for the cost of the DNA testing that has been undertaken to date. IMO DNA testing for colour is a cosmetic thing and not necessary so should be borne by the owner, DNA testing for genetic defects is necessary but should have already been done for the sire and dam of the puppies so should be the responsibility of the breeder, but DNA testing for parentage is a completely different thing altogether and the onus is on the breeder to sort the entire mess out!

I'd have to agree - this needs to be dealt with and quickly (or as quick as anything is dealt with with the CC!). If this isn't brought to a head then the integrity of the register is brought into question. The breeder's integrity has already been shot unfortunately!

IMO the breeder should bear the cost of further testing. If the breeder refuses then I think the litter should be deregistered and the breeder's licence taken or at least suspended. Sounds dodgy to me. Mistakes and accidental matings can and do happen - but it's the path a breeder takes afterwards that makes the difference. If there had been any doubt in the breeder's mind as to whether the bitch had been got by another dog then testing should have been a no brainer for the entire litter.

If the pup was purely for pet purposes then I would say get the paperwork sorted out via the CC and have done with it (if all health tests have been carried out with clear results). Since you're saying it's for showing purposes (and I can only assume later breeding purposes) I would definitely ask for a refund and find another pup.

Thanks for all the replies. Well, my colleague has contacted DogsVic who have said they will follow up and investigate and agreed that it is a very serious issue. She has copied all of the documents (DNA tests, registration papers, etc) and forwarded them to DogsVic. Hopefully they will act on it straight away and get to the bottom of the situation and fix up all of the papers.

My colleague thought very carefully about returning the pup for a refund but decided she would keep the pup as she worried about what may happen to him otherwise. Then she changed her mind and spoke to the breeder about returning the pup. The breeder was upset that the matter had gotten so 'out of hand' as she put it and refused to take the pup back. My colleague is now contemplating the best course of action but will probably just keep the pup and get the paperwork amended.

Thanks for everyones advice.

The breeder was upset that the matter had gotten so 'out of hand' as she put it and refused to take the pup back.

It didn't get out of hand, it went as it should. It's not a minor matter that the sire is not as represented on the papers and your friend has done the right thing.

The breeder was upset that the matter had gotten so 'out of hand' as she put it and refused to take the pup back.

It didn't get out of hand, it went as it should. It's not a minor matter that the sire is not as represented on the papers and your friend has done the right thing.

Absolutely, it's not just some petty, trivial thing, this has the potential to impact on the integirty of the register and affect more than just this one breeder.

They should be doing all they can to sort it out.