Info If Possible Please

wizard

hi

i am considering a job offer in north carolina in april 2010

my questions

what needles etc does my two dogs and cat require plus what other stuff is relevant to there coming with me as it will be a one way trip

i have readaqis plus emailed them and rang

but better off banging my head up against brick wall for the response or lack of it i got

and also do dogs need special visas and what would the cost be of the whole moving pets plus any good pet transporters for taking animal overseas

i know i have asked a lot but i need to know a lot

many thanks for a great site and a happy new yr to all

wizard

Aqis probably isn't much help to you as you are exporting not importing......I would say Aqis are probably closed for the holidays so don't expect a response. ( they can be slack at the best of times and I have had one of the worst experiences with them in the last 10days but that's a whole other story ).

You need to search for US quarantine/customs government department to find the information you need.

You could also try contacting agents like Dogtainers or Jetpets, they should be able to help provide you with the entry requirements for the US as well as give you shipping quotes.

I haven't shipped animals from or to the US only frozen semen but I am sure someone else who has imported from there may be able to recommend US based shipping companies for comparative quotes.

Sorry je33ie but I doubt that info is correct. Australia is a Rabies free country going into the US which is a Rabies controlled country so therefore the entry conditions are a lot more relaxed.

Australia is probably the hardest place in the world to get live animal entry into but young pups etc are shipped out of Aust to Europe and the US with little hassle.

However, if you choose to return the animals to Australia you will be met with our strict import requirements which means that they have to undergo all of the Rabies Titre testing, there is also a required timeframe that the dog resides in the country after this testing and pass other blood testing before it can return to Aust. Where the animal will still have to undergo the compulsory 30days in an Australian quarantine facility.

Edited by tashnchief

I think the dog would need a rabies vaccination which has to be done some months prior to travelling.

I'd contact someone like dogtainers ( www.dogtainers.com.au ?)

who can take care of everyting and let you know what is needed.

We moved from the uk to australia in 2008 and I found loads of info on the britishexpats website, they dont only do moving to australia so maybe have a look there or find one for moving to the us. Lots of people move with pets so there should be some advise/help on there?!

Good luck with the move :laugh:

There is no quarantine from aust to the US at present .The dogs/cats need to have passed there blood tests & current vaccs for the US (rabies i still believe)

I cant remember what the waiting period is between tests & being able to fly out.(i think 30 days plus age & residency can play a part in what is needed/accepted

As for costs depends on the size of the dogs but budget for a few thousand .

You will have costs for crates/vet/vaccs/aquis paperwork & transport costs.

Call a number of companies & some certainly cost more than others.

Edited by showdog

We recently migrated to Oz from UK and brought 4 dogs with us.

I would advise you to contact a shipping/exporter agent they will be able to help you with every query you have, based on where you are from and migrating too.. Phone a few and see which you like best.

Our pet exporter sorted all the paperwork/flights etc for us, just leaving us to worry ourselves senseless about their flight :laugh: but all went well, would put 'us' through it again LOL but there is no other option, they are family.

Aqis probably isn't much help to you as you are exporting not importing......I would say Aqis are probably closed for the holidays so don't expect a response. ( they can be slack at the best of times and I have had one of the worst experiences with them in the last 10days but that's a whole other story ).

You can't get out of the country with pets without dealing with AQIS - they provide all the export documentation.

To get to the USA there are no export requirements however it is recommended you get them vaccinated for rabies. It takes 21 days for a rabies shot to become effective.

Should you ever wish to return to Australia you will need your pets to have rabies vaccinations and a rabies titre test. Animals can travel 6 months after the RNATT (titre test).

ETA - tashnchief, you obviously don't contact the Sydney office :laugh:

AQIS is open tomorrow (31st) and then closed until the 4th.

Edited by poocow

You'd be best to speak to either one of the transport companies, or an AQIS accredited vet who would be the person doing all the vaccinations / titres etc for the transport companies anyway.

You can download a list of accredited vets HERE.

Theres a few new ones that will be going on the list shortly as well as they have just become accredited.

ETA - Jetpets have their own vet that do all vaccinations/treatments.

The best bet is to be as prepared as possible as although you don't plan on returning wizard you might so its better to be able to move quickly rather than waiting the 6 months after the titre.

Edited by poocow

You can't get out of the country with pets without dealing with AQIS - they provide all the export documentation.

To get to the USA there are no export requirements however it is recommended you get them vaccinated for rabies. It takes 21 days for a rabies shot to become effective.

Should you ever wish to return to Australia you will need your pets to have rabies vaccinations and a rabies titre test. Animals can travel 6 months after the RNATT (titre test).

ETA - tashnchief, you obviously don't contact the Sydney office :rofl:

AQIS is open tomorrow (31st) and then closed until the 4th.

LOL No Poocow, my experience was with Melbourne and Canberra. I have heard very good things about Sydney Aqis, unfortunately I wasn't able to deal with them in this situation, things may have been different otherwise! The end result was ok someone obviously found their christmas spirit!!!

But not before they put me through a world of stress due to a massive mistake on their behalf :hug:

Edited by tashnchief

I just moved with my cat to the US. Her regular vaccinations had to be up to date, plus she had to have a Rabies vaccination ($80), and she had the RNATT (rabies titre test - about $200) which is an AQIS requirement as I'm planning on returning to Australia in a few years. If your pets are definitely not coming back you won't need the RNATT. There's no quarantine entering the US - it really was very easy.

You have to use one of the pet transport companies - Jetpets and Dogtainers are the two largest (I think), but there are others. Call around for quotes - I fond a big difference in price between companies. Transport cost for my 4kg cat was just over $2000 ( :) - it didn't even cost that much for ME to fly here!)

Good luck!