Maggots (up Date : Now Talking About Other Yucky Things)

Erny

Some of you may know that I'm having some health issues with Mandela and part of the problem is that he isn't eating as well as he might and that his appetite is not consistent.

I gave him a roo tail the other day and, not unusually, he didn't eat it. I moved it off the decking, which is where he last left it, to find it alive with maggots :laugh: . I feel so dirty (shudder).

Anyway, I've thrown the bone, but there's a heap of maggots left wriggling on the decking. I got some white vinegar and poured that over them, thinking it might kill them, but I don't think it has or will. I don't want to spray with insecticide in case Mandela decides to have a lick of the residual that will be left on the decking.

Does any one know how maggots die? Do they die if their food source is removed? It's hot outside. I'm hoping they will bake and dry up.

I can't stand the thought of having to sweep them up while they are wriggling. I feel sick just at the memory of the image of them that I have in my mind.

I'm being a woose (sp?) I know. :)

Edited by Erny

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you may know that I'm having some health issues with Mandela and part of the problem is that he isn't eating as well as he might and that his appetite is not consistent.

I gave him a roo tail the other day and, not unusually, he didn't eat it. I moved it off the decking, which is where he last left it, to find it alive with maggots :laugh: . I feel so dirty (shudder).

Just out of interest, my dog was getting roo tail nearly every day and she got to a point where she would nibble at it and then pretty much not touch it at all. So I've thrown a few festy roo tails out myself. She has a really good appetite (she is half lab) but there is something about roo that she decided that she didn't really like any more. I've never seen her refuse any other bone except roo.

I gather Mandela is on roo because he needs to be but just thought I'd mention it :)

Birds might eat them if you have a few around where you live - do your neighbours have chooks?

There is something about maggots that hits right at the lizard brain. I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread while eating a sandwich :laugh:

Sorry, SSM. It's made me 'not hungry' too.

Boiling water! :) . Talk about "lizard brain" .... I shoulda thunk of that.

Off to boil kettle now.

Cheers!

Sorry to hear you are having some health issues with Mandela but this post made me think.

It is funny how somethings errk some people and not others.

I don't mind spiders, snakes, maggots or anything similar BUT what really makes my skin crawl is birds!!!

If I found a pretty little birdey on my verandah chirping away I think I would want to pour hot water over it and wait for the sun to dry it out. (I wouldn't really but it would give me the same feeling as maggots are giving everyone else)

The smaller the bird the yukkier I would feel. Ooohhh....

Hope you fought off the maggots and all is well.

Edited by Nannas

Maggots dont worry me either. I mean, i rather not have anything to do with them, but ifthey are they, they dont bother me.

At my last job, someone was slacking off, I found a bone that was days old hidden in the back of a kennel full of maggots! Yummo :laugh:

:) Has happened here on more than one occasion too. The last bone I found crawling with maggots was right next to the back door :)

I just picked up the bone using a plastic bag and swept the maggots into the garden. The birds eat them ...or maybe they turn into flies and fly away :laugh:

Well, these ones are gone, dead, caput ..... and I feel better. One little blighter survived the boiling water (:) .... mutant super-being ???) so I gave it a double dose. It didn't get past that one. Yuck. However, I did spare a thought for what a horrible way to 'go'. I hate anything suffering like that. But obviously, it didn't stop me. So I'm not that 'saintly'.

I'll probably dream of them tonight.

Shiver.

Kissindra - Eeewww ..... in the dog blankets !! Double yuck.

Nannas - That's wierd about birds (smaller the worse) giving you the heebie jeebies. Wonder why that is.

Bilbo - Don't think I could have handled the dead wool stuff. I earnt my money for my first mode of transport (car) by being a legal secretary. Much less eerkier than dealing with maggots.

Teebs - feel free to help yourself to any maggots that might come along to my place any time soon or in the future. Being the sharing caring type of person that I am :).

Anniek - Apart from one big "GROSS" comment to your suggestion of using them as fishing bait, I can't fish. Meaning, I don't like the idea of the fish taking the hooks inside themselves. It is funny, because I can watch or look at certain gory stuff that others can't, but other things that people don't worry about, I get squirmy.

Anyway - no more maggots at this house now. But I feel as though I now need to scrub everything down from top to toe.

Jess - I don't know what it is with Mandela. Yeah, he's always been a bit hit and miss when it comes to giving him roo tails. When he is in the mood, he really enjoys it and it is gone in a fairly short time. Other times it can sit for a day or so, then he gets into it. Sometimes he just buries them. And sometimes (as was the case with this one) he just didn't bother with it at all.

Without going into his somewhat complicated 'eating' history, the first bones he stopped eating way back when were lamb shanks. Then he wouldn't eat lamb necks. Of course, there was the period of time when I kept him strictly on roo (Vets All Natural "Allerblend") thinking it could have been the food items that were causing upset, so hence I got roo tails in. But as it turns out, 6 months on and he throws the same allergy upsets on that diet as he did for any other. So it seems it is not so much the food as it is his system. I give him chicken wings - sometimes he'll eat them eagerly. Sometimes he'll just drop them and walk off. I tried him with another lamb shank a couple of weeks ago (his first for 6 months or so) - he gave it a precursory sniff and walked away. I'll try him on other things that he's had before and eventually turned his nose up, to see if he is "over it", but at this stage, my freezer is chockers with all the food stuffs I've bought in batches but he's decided not to eat. I bought a load of roo mince in 1kg lots and froze them in their separate packets so I could give him a variation of foods (eg BARF rabbit, roo mince, chicken wings), but he won't touch it. In fact, the only thing he will eat at the moment is the BARF rabbit. Even then he has his moments. :laugh:. He's been a bit better in more recent days though, although it is still inconsistent. But I'm hoping that the improvement will continue.

It is hard to believe that this boy, when he was little, ate like there was no tomorrow and my biggest concern was that he would inhale the stuff. I liked that. I hope he'll return to that. He isn't well and I know that's the reason for all of this, but when I get his health back I do think a bit of 'competition' around feeding time wouldn't do him any harm.

Edited by Erny

:rofl: You would have had fun helping me clean out a young colts shoulder last year. One large hole about 10in by 4in and had to clean the maggots out every afternoon and clean the wound :rofl: after a few days of that you can do anything :hug: