Maggots (up Date : Now Talking About Other Yucky Things)

Erny

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just come back in from washing down the decking (tank water - high pressure hose machine thingy).

I did wash them off the decking, after they had been killed with the boiling water (which was after they'd been doused with vinegar - so they'd be well and truly pickled), but there were lots of deadens that got caught between the planks of wood that is the flooring of my deck. I thought I'd get over it, but it made me feel :hug: still, so I went out and scrubbed everything down out there, decking floor, the lot.

I feel better now :rofl:

Edited by Erny

:rofl: You would have had fun helping me clean out a young colts shoulder last year. One large hole about 10in by 4in and had to clean the maggots out every afternoon and clean the wound :rofl: after a few days of that you can do anything :hug:

The maggots would have helped the wound, wouldn't they?

I've had to deal with enough icky wound cleaning and caring in my years of having horses and I've never really worried about it. You do what you have to do. But I agree ..... I would have been shuddering at having to clean away maggots.

They're only squirmy little white things. I don't know what it is about them that makes my insides crawl and my stomach flip over.

Maybe I need to be rehabilitated through behaviour modification, BB :rofl: .

At least I have made my contribution towards lowering the fly count down. Anyone noticed how many more there have been, this year? Mind you, I think it is more a case of there not having been that many for the past few years rather than this year being more than usual. I recall my younger days and there were always loads of flies around in the warmer months back then. Of course, perhaps you wouldn't know. I think I go a fair way back further than many of you. Back THEN, we didn't have fly spray in aerosol cans. Lordy ..... I so sound like my folks. "Back in my day ............................... " :hug:

Edited by Erny

Maybe I need to be rehabilitated through behaviour modification, BB :rofl: .

At least I have made my contribution towards lowering the fly count down. Anyone noticed how many more there have been, this year? Mind you, I think it is more a case of there not having been that many for the past few years rather than this year being more than usual. I recall my younger days and there were always loads of flies around in the warmer months back then. Of course, perhaps you wouldn't know. I think I go a fair way back further than many of you. Back THEN, we didn't have fly spray in aerosol cans. Lordy ..... I so sound like my folks. "Back in my day ............................... " :hug:

Behaviour mode sounds good :o ;) ;) ;)

I can remember when fly spray came in a bottle and you poured it into a canister thingy and pulled a handle back to make it spary and fly paper was hung from the ceiling. :rofl::xmastree::thanks: :thanks:

:rofl: You would have had fun helping me clean out a young colts shoulder last year. One large hole about 10in by 4in and had to clean the maggots out every afternoon and clean the wound :thanks: after a few days of that you can do anything :hug:

OMG I can do huge cat abscesses, and hold fractured bones together (and stomach bits for that matter) but your little anecdote just made me feel faint. :xmastree:

I can't do maggots, generally b/c I always find them clipping dogs bums that the owners have neglected to get clipped...I have to yell alot about how gross it all is at the time...as if that might activate some sort of protective field around me. :rofl:

Oi, watch your mouth Bilbo Baggins!! Nothing wrong with fly paper!!

I have some hanging over where the dogs sleep.

I love those fly traps too, but so do the dogs, If they fall down, the dogs fall on them, to lick up the contents.

Now, that's REAL EEEEEWWWW :hug: stuff, leaves maggots in the shade.

Erny, do you know what Mandela's problem is?

Erny living in the wild wild west, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous is extremely good for phobias. I lost most of mine, being crawled on all night by myriads of insects, beetles and wriggling things, watching humongous angry snakes having little parties on the lawn, the flyblown carcasses of animals all over the place not to mention big hairy spiders running everywhere, mice plagues when 50 jumped out of every drawer you opened, 100 hung upside down on the curtains, sand goannas ran through the kitchen, you ate a few flies every time you went outside, and the flying phase of the white ants meant you had to keep taking your clothes off to shake them out because 5000 of the buggers sticking to you drove you mad.

Pshwar, what's a few maggots?

I used to care, but after that, nothing seemed important!

common Jed fess up.. we all learn to talk thru clenched teeth to filter out the flies.... lols

my phobis is rats.. dead or alive.. just the other night a search for a deadun reveled rat caught in super duper rat trap.. BUT the damned thing had attached itself to the bottom oif the couch upholstery so it took major planning and "bravery" on my part removing it all without actually touching the corpse or the trap..

H

Eeeeeewww ..... you guys are gross. Rats give me the heebies too, although I'll deal with them if I need to. Remember the rate plague back in, ummmm .... when was it - mid-late 1970's ???

Rats of all colours (they tend to come in all colours : black, tan/gold, and so on, when in plague proportion) used to populate my horse feed shed and I was forever setting traps, calling Dad down to come shoot 'em (the ones who'd managed to snuffle their way into a barrel of feed. This plague was followed closely at their heels by a plague of mice. Same thing - all sorts of colours that we'd only usually see in pet mice. I'd set traps and sit in the feed shed to wait. Give it 10 minutes and all the traps would have gone off and I'd be re-setting them again. It wasn't worth leaving. A cat that I found (whilst out horse-riding) sewn into a hession bag and left at the side of the road, proved a real Godsend back then. (ETA: *cough* of course we'd taken the cat out of the bag and nurtured him back to health.) Cleaned up much of the mice problem in the feed shed back then. Not a cat person myself. But I really liked than cat. Tough and scarred Tom cat - acted more like a dog than a cat. He was a good friend.

Edited by Erny

Some of you may know that I'm having some health issues with Mandela and part of the problem is that he isn't eating as well as he might and that his appetite is not consistent.

I gave him a roo tail the other day and, not unusually, he didn't eat it. I moved it off the decking, which is where he last left it, to find it alive with maggots :( . I feel so dirty (shudder).

Anyway, I've thrown the bone, but there's a heap of maggots left wriggling on the decking. I got some white vinegar and poured that over them, thinking it might kill them, but I don't think it has or will. I don't want to spray with insecticide in case Mandela decides to have a lick of the residual that will be left on the decking.

Does any one know how maggots die? Do they die if their food source is removed? It's hot outside. I'm hoping they will bake and dry up.

I can't stand the thought of having to sweep them up while they are wriggling. I feel sick just at the memory of the image of them that I have in my mind.

I'm being a woose (sp?) I know. ;)

Hot water may cause a lot of damage to your deck. Go out with ice or really cold water..

Hot water may cause a lot of damage to your deck. Go out with ice or really cold water..

Thanks BP. It's done now. I don't think it did any damage. Honestly, I didn't give it much thought as all I cared about was killing the maggots and getting them gone. I scrubbed the whole decking down afterwards and didn't notice any difference in the spot where I poured the boiling water. Hopefully, I was lucky :(.

ETA: There is a patch on the decking where I poured the boiling water. It's not too bad, but I might regret that. But right now, I'm just glad they're 'gone'.

Edited by Erny

Thanks BP. It's done now. I don't think it did any damage. Honestly, I didn't give it much thought as all I cared about was killing the maggots and getting them gone. I scrubbed the whole decking down afterwards and didn't notice any difference in the spot where I poured the boiling water. Hopefully, I was lucky :( .

Feeding maggots live, we would keep them in the fridge. ;)

Erny, do you know what Mandela's problem is?

Not exactly, other than (too) high stomach acidity and that his liver needs some help. All conventional tests (bloods etc) show clear. Symptoms obviously prove otherwise. Hair analysis result points to toxicity build up and liver function support required as well. Am working on it. It is a slow process as you work through it and he comes good (or at least better) and then months down the track, it happens over again. This is the second time. I think things are on the improve as from approximately Monday just gone. It's a bit inconsistent at the moment to be able to be certain though. He has, at least, put some weight back on, even though it takes a good amount of food to do that.

Lordy ..... I so sound like my folks. "Back in my day ............................... " :(

LOL, My grandson always says to me "nannas when you were little and had to chase dinosaurs for dinner,,,did you have Playstation??""

My girl goes on and off her food, but she has a heart problem. Summer is always worse for her as she isn't really interested in food (unless it is something she isn't supposed to eat) Making sure she gets enough to drink is the main thing. We have Lectade so if she isn't eating or drinking enough we can atleast prevent her from dehydrating, until she kicks back in or goes to the vets.

Hope your Mandela gets it all sorted out soon. It is so sad watching them when they aren't well.

Erny living in the wild wild west, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous is extremely good for phobias. I lost most of mine, being crawled on all night by myriads of insects, beetles and wriggling things, watching humongous angry snakes having little parties on the lawn, the flyblown carcasses of animals all over the place not to mention big hairy spiders running everywhere, mice plagues when 50 jumped out of every drawer you opened, 100 hung upside down on the curtains, sand goannas ran through the kitchen, you ate a few flies every time you went outside, and the flying phase of the white ants meant you had to keep taking your clothes off to shake them out because 5000 of the buggers sticking to you drove you mad.

When the kids were learning to ride bikes, with mouths wide open squealing my husband used to tell them to "shut your fly trap before you swallow one"

Was worse when they went up your nose though, then you looked like a real jacka$$ snorting and picking and trying to blow them out (with or without a tissue)

Edited by Nannas

I have learnt this lately and it is great for people that don't enjoy scrubbing yucky wounds. First you do a thorough clean and then slather the whole wound and it seals it and heals. Having so many large animals at home and astronomical vet bills this has helped, camels can be prone to abscesses and my girl was in very poor condition when I got her she had big open wounds with maggots, I cleaned them out and smeared her with the honey and she healed beautifully. Which was great as I wasn't excited about handling a very angry sore camel that did not like me very much at that time. Many native tribes have used this a traditional medicine for generations.

Quote "Scientists have determined that a certain type of honey called Manuka Honey is more capable of healing wounds and clearing infections than antibiotics and other forms of traditional medicine. As a result, Manuka Honey is now being used as a main ingredient in wound care products and other skin creams.

All kinds of honey have the ability to kill bacteria and heal wounds because honey is very acidic. Honey also has a high sugar content and produces an antibacterial molecule called hydrogen peroxide, which can been used as a disinfectant. Manuka Honey is especially effective in treating infected wounds because it contains an additional antibacterial component known as UMF.

Minor wounds can heal on their own but when a wound becomes infected, the healing process can become complex. Bacteria feed on the damaged tissue and multiply causing more tissue damage. The wound begins to develop pus and malodor. The pus consists of dead white blood cells which is the body's way of trying to kill the bacteria and heal the infection."

Was worse when they went up your nose though, then you looked like a real jacka$$ snorting and picking and trying to blow them out (with or without a tissue)

:( ..... I remember that happening. And usually we didn't have a hanky (tissues? we didn't use them back then) on us.

Casowner - I agree with the AMH. I often feel like I'm the AMH 'Queen' around here. I'm always going on about it.

:( ;) :) Sorry about laughing, coming off a farm I can't count the times I've seen maggotts & assorted crawley or slimey things. Me & my brother use to go out in the paddock & burst bloated cow guts with a knife, after a beast had been killed to eat, real nice after a few days in the sun.

Anyway Erny hope Mandela gets better real soon, I always worry when my animals are sick.

:) ;) :) Sorry about laughing, coming off a farm I can't count the times I've seen maggotts & assorted crawley or slimey things. Me & my brother use to go out in the paddock & burst bloated cow guts with a knife, after a beast had been killed to eat, real nice after a few days in the sun.

Anyway Erny hope Mandela gets better real soon, I always worry when my animals are sick.

Oh, gross, Dova ;) .

Thanks for the wishes for Mandela. We'll get there. There are other dogs around who have worse things than what he goes through, so I'm lucky. He was meant to come to me - someone 'up there' knew I'd spend the money and the time. :(