Zoomies

chuckie500

I have two little ones and sometimes, usually late int he day they love a game of zoomies and one chases the other at a furious pace. Up and outside, a few laps of the backyard, then down the stairs inside and then around the lounge several times. The its water time while the dominate girl then humps the boy whilst drinking, and its all over. Does any one else worry they will do themselves some damage doing this? I try to make sure they don't do this close to a meal time either.

Edited by chuckie500

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 pm is usually zoomie-time in our house.

Oscar will do laps of the backyard alone or beg Lilly to chase him. When she does we supervise and will step in when they get too carried away. Patch loves doing zoomies through the house and consequently my floor boards have seen better days.

Yes, I worry, at the moment I have 8 whippets staying here and 4 of them love doing zoomies, and I mean at 50ks p/h in a fairly confined space. They've just been doing them now, at 38C and Lily was jumping in the taddie pool to cool off. I worry that they will injure themselves or over heat. It's a fine line between letting them play and have fun and making sure, or at least doing my best to ensure their safety.

for the dogs..no real worries

most seem to negotiate their route well

but if dogs are playing, big dogs like labs, then i stand clear cos i have been belted in the back of the knees by one

some dogs dont seem to be aware of their speed and size..others do and grind to a halt when close to humans ..ive seen others jump over other dogs rather than barrelling into them

with zoomies branches and logs are dangerous..have heard of a dog getting impaled on a log that had a stiff dried branch sticking out...

but in your regular backyard it should be fine

i watch out for things like wet steps or bits of wire sticking out from fencing..

Usually only when they are headed straight for ME!!!

Yep that's always scary! Although usually I'm too busy laughing to worry too much... Sash looks like a manic greyhound when she does her zoomies and changes direction a million times. It's hysterical.

In saying that, I do worry when she's on the cement in the entertaining area cause she slides along it and I panic she'll hurt herself... so I yell out 'careful' in between fits of laughter :laugh:

Usually only when they are headed straight for ME!!!

Yep that's always scary! Although usually I'm too busy laughing to worry too much... Sash looks like a manic greyhound when she does her zoomies and changes direction a million times. It's hysterical.

In saying that, I do worry when she's on the cement in the entertaining area cause she slides along it and I panic she'll hurt herself... so I yell out 'careful' in between fits of laughter :hug:

:rofl: My worst offender IS a manic greyhound! And the next most idiotic "zoomer" is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Each time the zoomies break out, I'm in severe danger of broken legs! :rofl:

Yes and No, it's all about being a Dane, Zoomies are a daily occurance, this kind of play helps buld muscle that makes sure they can handle this kind of mucking around. I'm sure from time to time one of the nongs will slip and hurt themselves, all i n all I don't mind as long as they don't head for me.

Try zoomies with a Dane, two Rotties and a Neo Mastiff.......... and all in the lounge room and down the hall to my bedroom.

I used to hide in the kitchen and pretend it wasn't happening....... :rofl: :rofl:

Ha ha haaaa!! that's fab, dogslife, I Love it!! :hug:

I hate the Zoomies inside - plus we have very slippery floors in the rental we are in & he slips a lot. my 19 wk old Rotti gets sent outside to 'zoom' if he tries it on inside! He does love a good zip around the yard though - but I agree, no stairs :xmastree:

I have to say that At is the funniest i have seen, Mum was almost in tears the other week when he went crazy. Because he does nothing all day every day, the rare time he does the zoomies is so funny, and he jumps and spins on the spot and goes nuts. Never been able to get a video cause i have always been too busy laughing at him :hug:

Hmm at times YES!

I have 5 acres around the house, lots of trees, no stairs, the odd car, dog runs and the house.

With Rommi I never worried, she had her path - all good.

Enter Lewis! Lewis is a bit of a doofus and when he does zommies he watches Rommi. So far I have had him hook his back leg over a tomato picket and cartwheel and sommersault through the air, then stand up with a dead leg screaming and then collapsed in a heap. I have also had him hit a metal tubing Agility table at speed sommersault three times and sit there screaming with a dangly looking front leg. Fortunately he has been fine within 10 to 20 minutes!

He has had near missed with many trees the dog runs, the horse tie up rail, me and has collieded with Rommi - although she pinned his ears back for that so he is a little more careful.

He seems to now be looking a little where he is going and therefore we haven't had any collisions for a while, so fingers crossed it stays that way.

The first incident happened the morning after he arrived - he was insured by 3pm. I know when he finally does injure himself it will be a big one.

Having said all that I love to watch a whippet do zoomies - takes my breath away - or with Lewis it may be because I hold my breath.....who knows?