Zoomies

chuckie500

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine does zoomies from time to time. But he definitely does his zoomies after a shower, cleaned ears or nails cut. Both OH and I try to stand in a corner when he does his zoomies...he can charge really strongly at us if he wants. I can't imagine big dogs zooming in the house..I would have hidden in the closet or something :hug:

I do worry, having two Staffy's, zoomies can get a bit ugly.

They like to run at full speed then tackle each other, this usually involves flying in the air, hitting the ground and doing 4 to 5 rolls, I can see broken bones coming on. I have had to put up a temporary fence to reduce the space they have in the back yard so they cant quite get to full speed.

They like to run at full speed then tackle each other, this usually involves flying in the air, hitting the ground and doing 4 to 5 rolls, I can see broken bones coming on.

I definately hear you! Try that at Whippet warp speed and it is close your eyes and look away material!

They like to run at full speed then tackle each other, this usually involves flying in the air, hitting the ground and doing 4 to 5 rolls, I can see broken bones coming on. I have had to put up a temporary fence to reduce the space they have in the back yard so they cant quite get to full speed.

And don't you just love it when they t-bone each other? You cringe waiting for the cracking of bones but they just grin at each other and do it again! :hug:

My two never get the zoomies on at home, and Fleming has only ever done zoomies once..... but Tess does it on our weekly walk in the big off-leash park.

I do get worried, as she gets the zoomies on when walking through bush with ponds, creeks, tree roots etc, (usually after drinking bracken water), and I'm scared she's going to trip or catch a foot in a fallen log, or something similar. She's a big girl (wolfie x & 48 kgs) so I know that if she does hurt herself it's going to be pretty serious.

I usually take them first thing into the swamp area - it's flat, with lots of puddles & water holes so she can get her fill of doggy druggy water and go flat out without being too worried she's going to hurt herself. I must say she's never run into anyone, but it has come bluddy close sometimes !

As much as it scares me, I love watching her go full pelt, with sheer exhileration written all over her face. As I said, Fleming has only done it once & it reduced me to tears - my pinup boy for rescue showed pure enjoyment and it only took 2 years!!

They like to run at full speed then tackle each other, this usually involves flying in the air, hitting the ground and doing 4 to 5 rolls, I can see broken bones coming on.

I definately hear you! Try that at Whippet warp speed and it is close your eyes and look away material!

I'm not concerned about their "racetrack"or running into things but I've had many a trip to the vet for rips and tears as a result. Generally Ice hides behind the shed / car / bush lying in wait til Indi zooms pass and Ice will jump out in surprise and cut him off. Apparently it's all very fun but its during this as Ice jumps out that a tooth has snagged Indi and the skin just rips as he keeps running!

I cringe when the zoomies start and nearly hold my breath until it's all over - then I call them over to get a check over looking for cuts/nicks/scratches etc.

ETA - never worried about poor Pig (pug) always bringing up the rear, little man easily gets lapped several times. No great concern there even at his "warp speed"

Edited by Get Whippet

I love to watch it but at times I hold my breath.

With a Whippet, they're sooo fast. On the Whippet forum I'm on, a couple of owners of Whippets have lost them to broken necks this year. :rofl:

But they love to run and I think it's good for mind and body to let them. Life is not without risk. :hug:

Edited by poodlefan

But they love to run and I think it's good for mind and body to let them. Life is not without risk.

Absolutely, but thats why sometimes I just look away!

We have a sand hole with piles of sand in the front paddock, Rommis favourite thing is to go flat out and leap off the top!!!! She went about 8 to 10 metres one day, she was moving that fast when she launched I was sure it was going to end in tears, but it didn't thankfully.

She did get a very swollen sprained toe from the last time though.

I will have to watch out for tears, as now Lewis is getting more confident and faster, he runs along and behind Rommi then mouths over her hind quarter while she spins away. Ah goodness, that will probably be next!

I thought whippets were supposed to be couch potatoes?? I'm never getting one now. That would all scare me big time. :(

they're either flat out sleeping, or flat out running.

here's Lily going through the clam shell yesterday, believe me she was there but I could only get the aftermath, there's tadpoles in that pool and they're all going to need therapy after she went through.

as usual, too quick for the eye (and camera) to see.

IMG_1652t.jpg

I have to say that At is the funniest i have seen, Mum was almost in tears the other week when he went crazy. Because he does nothing all day every day, the rare time he does the zoomies is so funny, and he jumps and spins on the spot and goes nuts. Never been able to get a video cause i have always been too busy laughing at him :(

Patch does the spin-zoomies too! Its hilarious ;) We also always think we must grab the camera and get footage of it.

Hahaha I <3 zoomies so so much... It's a daily thing in my house :( Chopper can just be laying there asleep or whatever and then bang it zoomie time, you can't help but laugh when he does it! Especially once he's in the hallway/kitchen as it's all tiled... No grip so his back end is sliding all over the place ;)

I thought whippets were supposed to be couch potatoes?? I'm never getting one now. That would all scare me big time. :)

It only lasts for a short period of time, then they have to sleep for the rest of the day!

It's quite good, they get a days worth of exercise done in a small amount of time.

And don't you just love it when they t-bone each other? You cringe waiting for the cracking of bones but they just grin at each other and do it again! :)

I had two Dobes that used to do that. They would be doing zoomies in the yard then change directions going around the house each a different way till they met chest to chest in the air and then grin at each other before starting over again. They thought it was hilarious!

Hahaha I <3 zoomies so so much... It's a daily thing in my house :) Chopper can just be laying there asleep or whatever and then bang it zoomie time, you can't help but laugh when he does it! Especially once he's in the hallway/kitchen as it's all tiled... No grip so his back end is sliding all over the place :laugh:

We have no zoomies in the house. The kids are the worst for it though.

I would be a little careful about zoomies on the tiles, it is a good way to damage cruciates.

I LOVE to watch Whippet zoomies, their hearts are soaring as they go harder and harder

You should see the zoomies at our place with three large dogs........They love to do an evening Zoom around our garden. The safest place for us is next to a tree to protect our knees :)

Thankfully no humping..........Ours jump into our dam and feel it is totally necessary to shake next to us, I love them though, it makes us smile :laugh: