How Do You Get Greeted?

rugerfly

Is it just certain breeds that MUST NOT GREET YOU without something shoved in their mouth? Fly WILL NOT come and say hello, till she has found something to pick up. If she cant find anything she will get her blanket off her bed and drag it over.

Then, this is followed by several passes by with object in mouth, squished up faces with inside out ears, growling by Fly and some kind of moaning by Ruger. All together with lots of body wagging. Its very noisy and happens every time. Even when i go down the driveway and come back up again.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Archer runs straight up to me and sits waiting for his pats and adulation.

Leia runs away to find something to put in her mouth then wiggles past me several times wiggling her entire body, not just her tail.

Both are very cute. :(

Bob will bark at me until I open the back door to let him in even if I go in through the backyard. Then he will run in the house and grab one of his toys to bring near me.

Echo has not really developed anything at the moment and has resisted learning to bark at me when I come home so far. She does get excited and wag her whole body and once when bob bough me his toy she followed behind him with one of my recently discarded shoes in her mouth.

Edited by Evolving

I get the kidney bean dance, with wooing and groaning ( ;) !)

Huxley my older Vizsla HAS to have something in his mouth. In his absolute desperation he has run into a bedroom (not mine!) and stripped the bed of its flat sheet!

He could have taken a blanket, or a pillow, but no.. flat sheet. :(

My other two are more normal.

LOL I'm not sure what it is but our 2yo AmStaff does it all the time, for all known visitors.

Neither of our older dogs have ever done it and the 2yo hasn't been around other dogs, even as a pup, to have been able to pick it up off another dog.

The minute she hears the door she runs to hallway to see who it is, then runs like mad to get a bone (or bit of toast, anything) then races back proudly showing her prize. Usually she holds it up for you to take off her,,,but just for a second,,then she takes it back and prances around with it like it is gold plated or something.

It is kind of cute but I thought she might grow out of it. Maybe not!! LOL

I love hearing all these storys, one of mine is a shocking jumper to say hello, drives me nuts. One just talks and kind of like she is telling me off for being gone for so long :( The oldest just kind of waits till all the other 3 have done thier thing and looks at me as if to say awww mum don't forget me and comes up to me whole body shaking tail going 100 miles an hour ;)

The baby of the group like Fly has to have an offering to bring to me or OH as we walk in the door, its hilarious, even if im home and OH comes home he runs to find something to give him as soon as he hears the garage door go up, a few days ago he couldn't find anything laying close by so he ran to the toy box and all the toys are in the bottom and he couldn't reach he was going nuts trying to find something. :) They sure keep us entertained with thier antics!!

Is it just certain breeds that MUST NOT GREET YOU without something shoved in their mouth? Fly WILL NOT come and say hello, till she has found something to pick up. If she cant find anything she will get her blanket off her bed and drag it over.

Then, this is followed by several passes by with object in mouth, squished up faces with inside out ears, growling by Fly and some kind of moaning by Ruger. All together with lots of body wagging. Its very noisy and happens every time. Even when i go down the driveway and come back up again.

;) Same here, with lots of 'talking' with toy in mouth! the viz is frantic to find a toy, even if you just get off the settee or change rooms! even does it to the cats, shoves a slimey grotty toy in their faces, and they are REALLY impressed :) ;)

We have to leave toys all over the house for these moments (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!) for these moments or else she goes intp panic mode.

The spin is the same but calmer about it, she will always greet with a toy, or even her giant snuggly rug! I think the gundogs are the most mouthy breeds for the toy thing. Visitors think we have 6 kids here :):(

CK (BC) runs around the yard until he finds his latest favourite toy and then jumps up on me and throws it at me until I throw it for him. (Of course I reward his enthusiasm - what else do you do!! :( )

Xena runs into the back yard and stares me down until I come up and play or take CK inside. In which case she races to the back door and launches herself into my arms (or the middle of my back if I'm not looking).

I think most people would be horrified, but I'm happy to have dogs that want to play. It's just a matter of managing the greeting if someone else happens to come home with me!

My George is the same - he has to have something in his mouth to show us then there will be some form of growling chat through the toy as he circles & weaves around us with bottom waggling! He will drop it when asked but ALWAYS has to present us with something. I always thought he was weird! :(

Millie just does the wiggle bum dance!

Loads of barking to alert the household that 'someone's here'...

Once I'm in the door Jedi comes for a cuddle and a scratch and makes 'raugh' 'raugh' noises...

Ahsoka is usually doing zoomies when I get home with a toy in her mouth and she does multiple passes while I'm cuddling Jedi and then she'll shove the toy in my hand and I throw it. It's not for about another 5 minutes before she comes and actually says hello for a pat! :(

One Staffy girl tries really hard not to jump, so there is a bit of growling, snorting and lots of wriggling while trying really hard to sit. Her sister has to have a toy in her mouth, then just walk in circles around me.....that is my OH fault for telling her how cute she looked when she did this as a pup.

Oh my you all have crazy hyper dogs :)

Saki greets me by running up, sitting down, and then waving her front feet in the air - with her ears right back looking all submissive and snuggly - so cuuuuuuuute!!!!

She wants you to put your arms out so she can put her paws on them and have a proper cuddle - which is fine if you understand that - it's a tad confusing for visitors though, she'll just repeatedly run in front of them, sit down on their feet and wave her paws at them until she gets her cuddles :rofl:

Those damn Akitas, crazy vicious killer dogs, I tells ya :laugh: