How Do You Get Greeted?

rugerfly

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear my 10 year old Maremma will smile at you, literally you can see all his teeth, you can see people turn up if we are out the front with them and they wont get out of the car. "Your dog was growling at me", we play them for a bit at first and then let them in on it. :)

Jorj has a little greeting ritual. If she is outside she will peek under the the gate to see who it is before charging around to the side door where she waits wriggling around, snorting sometimes squealing :)

If she is inside she waits in the room next to the front door with her toes on the edge of the carpet and the tiles in the passage (still wriggling). Then when we come inside she does her zoomies around us and either goes to her mat or up onto the bed for a cudde and kiss haha.

Mica is a screamer :)

She will stand and squeal or scream depending on the level of excitement. I wish she would just do zoomies and get her excitement over with but not its a deafening welcome to my house. Sometimes she will do fly bys with something in her mouth enticing you to chase her.

Unfortunately she can do it to guests who visit as well. I had one poor friend beside himself with worry that there was something wrong with my dog and she needed to see the vet :laugh: We now have a dog crate and are training her to use that when people come over.

If I come home via the backyard its the 'Barking Bush' for her. She runs around a certain bush and barks at it, or does surprise dive attacks on it - evil bush that it must be.

Gypsy just runs around in circles around me wagging frantically. When OH and my best friends come over she get so excited, she can barely contain herself running between them and us with the frantic wagging... I think she gets more excited about them than she does when we come home.

Mine don't really greet me with anything much...unless I have been away for a long time. Trim kind of swishes around me, Shine will lean on me if I sit down & Zeus will offer his paw, Noah often doesn't even acknowledge me :) .

They have a greeting for certain other people though.

Most people they know well they will run to fetch a tennis ball for

When Pax comes over, it goes like this:

scream, whine, scream, jump on gate, try to get under gate, wriggle wriggle, whine whine, tennis ball is fetched, both girls are on her lap, Shine is trying to lick her face off & Trim is wiggle wiggle, here's the ball, lick lick whine whine. The whole greeting process takes about 10 minutes. It is VERY embarrassing if I have someone here I don't know well...I am sure they think my dogs are monsters :laugh: . Pax of course HATES every minute of it :rofl: and insists on coming here in a clean white shirt :rofl: . When will she learn???

Guest belgian.blue

I got excited high pitched barking, then when the backdoor is opened a smile, little rabbit bounces and a wagging tail, a few body spins with pointy ears bending in all directions. Oh lots of licking too!

Then we sit down on the back step for a chat with plenty of cuddles until she calms down. Normally she'll run a few high speed crazy circles around the yard and 95% of the time she has a wee before coming in to find the cat.

She always brightens any crappy day, she makes me giggle every afternoon and all my worries drift away.

Is it just certain breeds that MUST NOT GREET YOU without something shoved in their mouth? Fly WILL NOT come and say hello, till she has found something to pick up. If she cant find anything she will get her blanket off her bed and drag it over.

Then, this is followed by several passes by with object in mouth, squished up faces with inside out ears, growling by Fly and some kind of moaning by Ruger. All together with lots of body wagging. Its very noisy and happens every time. Even when i go down the driveway and come back up again.

Morty starts when he hears the cars pull up ..... as I'm walking to the front door I can here him doing the wooo woooo wooo thing from inside ... then he is quiet until I get to the sunroom when he starts the hot-shoe-shuffle and wiggle dance which sometimes if he is really excited has a couple of short barks involved as well ..... more often than not it involves a toy in his mouth.... then he gets let outside for a toilet break and as soon as thats done then he's back inside with a toy in his mouth ...... when the OH gets home (more often than now he is the 2nd one home in the evening) the cycle begins again..... he's fine when we leave, no issues at all, no whining nothing .. he just gets so excited when we get home its hilarious!

My ex-husband's Viszla is the same. He can not greet you without something in his mouth. He's kind of a weird dog really...in a nice weird way...but weird nonetheless! :)

My Pugs usually jump aournd like crazies and Monte makes 'woo - woo' sounds as he runs around me.

Edited by PugRescueSydney

Patch comes up relatively calmly for pats, Lilly gets super excited, sometimes gets jumpy and then runs off to grab a toy to show you (but she won't give it). Oscar will run at you at 100 km/h and launch - he usually connects at stomach height. He may only be 7kgs but it feels like 50!

we have several dogs and most of them do the excited wags and wiggles

but one will jump on the couch and wait for cuddles

or flattens himself down on the floor cos hes been taught not to jump or he gets no attention-it almost kills him to do this but i think it was my oldest son who wouldnt touch him whilst in good work pants and jacket so the dog would sit on the lounge where my son could pat him once he was calm

we didnt plan it that way but it works

I always wondered if the dogs that must have something in their mouth are gundogs or breeds that shared a similar purpose?

Our male Field Spaniel must have something in his mout and comes at you with his whole body wriggling and making a funny noise (we love this). Our female Field will just calmly come and sit in your lap for a cuddle.

I love coming home to the dogs, they are such a joy.

Although, saying that, I get greeted each time I leave them for 5 mins or go upstairs and come down again. Nothing beats a greeting like a dog's!

Honey, my GR, waits patiently with a toy or shoe in mouth. Just waiting for the love... ;)

I am really amazed about this mouth thing- I have never had a gun dog/retriever before.

Previously with our staffy cross, shoes or anything in the mouth survived about 5 seconds before being destroyed, so she was trained to never pick things up.

Honey on the other hand just loves to hold things gently in her mouth for ages- I understand it was what she was bred for but its quite something to behold! :D

Not so amazing at 3 am when the toy is shoved in your face though! :)

Thomas will run up behind you and try and nip you on the bum or legs whilst making little yip sounds. He'll also do a bit of an MC Hammer dance at the gate until you open it.

Aubrey will hear the car, run to the rear gate, then run back inside to find a toy so she has one ready once the dog gate has been removed. She'll then do zoomies around the house with the toy until you catch her and play.

Geez I wish my dog welcomed me home like yours do. He just comes up to sniff my pants and shoes to see where I've been/whether I've been fraternising with any other dogs and then he gives me a bit of a wag of his tail and sits for a pat.

If I'm carrying bags, well then he completely ignores me and goes into 'customs dog' mode. Stuffs his head into each bag and gives it a thorough sniffing to check that I'm not bringing any unapproved substances into the house.

I have one that can't comfortably greet without something in his mouth. He doesn't wiggle, but he does pin his ears flat and walk around and around me in circles, stopping on each pass for a cuddle. You can tell how excited he is by how long he does laps with the toy in his mouth. Very excited Kivi looks much the same as moderately excited Kivi, just needs more cuddles if he's very excited. ;)

Erik bounces all over the place, so he doesn't get his greetings until he downs for me. Then I pick him up and he gives me an Erik cuddle. Erik cuddles involve crawling as high up my chest as he can so he can put his paws on either side of my neck and lick my face. I never liked this kind of thing until he came along!