Ivomec Off Label As Heartworm Prevention

Wuppywoman

I have eleven dogs ans have been recommended by my vet and another vet I sought an opinion off to use Ivomec injectable off label as heartworm prevention as a cost effective way to treat multiple dogs. I just wonder how many of you use it and is there any possible side effects and if so how common are these? Maybe some of you know of a better alternative..?

I have used it. Easy, much cheaper, never had any problems with it.

I get it from Elders but any stock type place should be able to get it for you. We would get a group together and buy a litre or sometimes 5 litres. Depending on how many people wanted some.

I did use it for a while. No problems. However, it was believed that it might cause reproduction issues, so I stopped using it. I cannot remember what they were, but I know at the time, I considered it valid, and stopped using it. I don't think I had any repro issues, but who knows? Terribly difficult to know exactly what was the cause whem something goes wrong.

I am actually considering using it again. Price and ease of use are big plusses.

http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/herx.html

Written by

Mary C. Wakeman, D.V.M.

Ashford Animal Clinic

Canine Fertility Center

So, the point of all of this is, what happens to the pregnant bitch if she has this kind of reaction. What happens to sperm if the stud dog gets monthly heartworm and also harbors intestinal parasites. These are some of the matters which have led a significant number of veterinarians to say 'no' to monthly heartwormers. 'No' to all of them, since the precise chemical isn't the problem, but the very mechanism of action of this form of heartworm control. All of those 'monthlies' which advertise control of intestinal parasites are actually saying they can cause this kind of problem.

When a new medication comes on the market, we are supposed to ask three questions:

• 1. Is it more effective?
  • 2. Is it safer?
  • 3. Is it cheaper?

Monthly heartworm medication gets a 'no' response to each of these questions. Is it good for your vet's bottom line? Well, that one gets a 'yes'. The rule for breeding animals, dogs or bitches is no monthly heart worm medication.

Edited by Steve

http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/herx.html

Written by

Mary C. Wakeman, D.V.M.

Ashford Animal Clinic

Canine Fertility Center

So, the point of all of this is, what happens to the pregnant bitch if she has this kind of reaction. What happens to sperm if the stud dog gets monthly heartworm and also harbors intestinal parasites. These are some of the matters which have led a significant number of veterinarians to say 'no' to monthly heartwormers. 'No' to all of them, since the precise chemical isn't the problem, but the very mechanism of action of this form of heartworm control. All of those 'monthlies' which advertise control of intestinal parasites are actually saying they can cause this kind of problem.

When a new medication comes on the market, we are supposed to ask three questions:

• 1. Is it more effective?
  • 2. Is it safer?
  • 3. Is it cheaper?

Monthly heartworm medication gets a 'no' response to each of these questions. Is it good for your vet's bottom line? Well, that one gets a 'yes'. The rule for breeding animals, dogs or bitches is no monthly heart worm medication.

So what do you do if you live in an area which is known for heartworm. I had one bitch react to the yearly heart worm injection, that was given with her annual vaccinations...so I now give her and my other desexed boy Sentinal monthly - covers intestinal worms, heart worm & assists with fleas (although frontline is still required in the summer months). As I am about to import a very expensive young girl, whom I intend to breed with in a few years time, I would like to find out what the BEST heart worm prevention programme would be for ALL my hounds. Any dialogue regarding this would be appreciated.

Cheers

So how would one go about heartworm prevention?

Is it better/safer to give a daily dose of ivomec (i was told dosing rate is 1 ml per 30 kg for monthly dose)-this would make it approx 0.1 ml per day?

I will NOT use the 6 mth/12 mth injectables.

I just dont like the thought of my dogs having daily drugs for life,the kids chi had generalised demodex as a pup,and he was on daily ivomec for 9 mths,but that is different to life.

I have been using Ivomec sheep and goat for that many years.

I have not had any issues with it.

It is administered to all the dogs I own every month.

This includes pregnant and nursing bitches.

Most of my friends use it also and never had a problem with it.

I also use it at a higher dose rate than most.

I use 1ml per 16kg of body weight because at that dose rate it

will get rid of hook worm.

The dose rate was worked out by a vet.

I know even scientists use the sheep drench orally on their sheepdogs, the sheep get drenched and as the dogs push them through they get a mouthfull.

when i saw it was wondering and asked.

been using it ever since with no adverse affects in nearly 20 years now.

only learned when i bought a pup that turned out its mum had mange and passed it onto the pup that the uni also cure scarpotic mange with it although in much lower daily dose rate.

in chihuahua's they said the washes can kill a percentage of chi's. never had any reactions to the normal dose.

although a friend bought the low dose one (its green) and boy her dog was frothing at the mouth, so wouldnt try that too often, although she said after he recovered by the end of the month he had the shiniest coat in the district? :champagne:

Is it better/safer to give a daily dose of ivomec (i was told dosing rate is 1 ml per 30 kg for monthly dose)-this would make it approx 0.1 ml per day?

I just dont like the thought of my dogs having daily drugs for life,the kids chi had generalised demodex as a pup,and he was on daily ivomec for 9 mths,but that is different to life.

Just wondering why you don't use the 6 month/yearly injectables. All my adult dogs get the yearly one each year with their other vaccination, and i haven't had any problems. Just wondering if there's something I've missed.

Thanks Spot

Just wondering why you don't use the 6 month/yearly injectables. All my adult dogs get the yearly one each year with their other vaccination, and i haven't had any problems. Just wondering if there's something I've missed.

Thanks Spot

Not a chance - If I put something like this in yours or child's blood stream which bubbled away for 6 to 12 months I would expect them to get cancer etc I wouldnt touch it.

I, also, used to do the yearly Heartworm until 6 years ago. Then the numbers of deaths started to mount and it was withdrawn from the US markets. I never had an issue but it is too big a risk to take IMO.

so we are really back to square one....I personally won't use the annual injection due to an adverse reaction of my BH girl. I do use the monthly Sentinel tablets that cover numerous intestinal worms, heartworm & fleas......BUT am I going to do harm to my young bitch that i wish to breed with in a few years time??? What would be the best avenue to research this? The manufacturers will not be too forthcoming if there are a few side effects, many vets have differing opinions...so I may need to ask a few repro vets & see what their answers may be?