Dog Chewing Himself!

My Heeler X boy has recently started chewing the base of his tail. It's something he's always done, but now that he's lost a ton of weight he can actually reach better now and is starting to do some damage. The vet isn't sure what's irritating him, but I wonder if it's his fur? He's got really thick waxy fur where he's got red fur and it never dries. Can that cause irritation?

Misc019.jpg

Misc017.jpg

This is what he's done recently, I gave him his last cortisone tablet, and can't get any more until the vet opens next week.

I combed him today and got tons of fur out of this thick area, so I'm wondering if maybe clipping him will help? What can I put on him to help with the irritaion and sores? He's a bit pussy and bleedy

CIMG0312.jpg

I really cant go passed putting cider vinegar in their drinking water and pure aloe vera on any skin irritations. We live on the river and my dogs (if they get in the water ) get very affected by skin irritation. I find the cider vinegar every day seems to ease alot of it

Try some luke warm salty water on the sores, antihistamines and an elizabethan collar. Zinc powder (curash is sold in most supermarkets and used for babies) could also be used on the sores to dry them out.

I am a recent convert to the Furminator (a brand of dog brush) which might be usefull in removing some more of your boys hair. Have a look on ebay for some great deals. (go for a medium or large)

Perhaps also have a look at his diet. Clipping him might also help. He already has a scruffy coat so I am guessing that you wouldn't be to concerend about how it would grow back.

He's on a raw/dry diet, currently in the process of finding a kibble that suits them both, they're on Royal Canin at the moment but I suspect he's got a wheat allergy but I'm not sure what kibble is wheat free.

I thought about combing some baby powder through his fur to dry it out?

Baby powder will only get into his pores and probably make him more itchy. If his fur is constantly damp it may be hot spots or heat rash and by clipping back those areas and allowing air flow it should help make it more comfortable for him. I keep a tube of Apex cream here (must be prescribed by vet and I know that doesn't help you now). It is cortisone based and helps soothe the redness and ease the itchies so it gives the wound a chance to heal.

I'd go with Puggy puggy's suggestion for the moment.

BTW he is seriously cute. I do :thumbsup: the shaggy wire hair dogs.. I especially love the little curl on his head.

Some suggestions?

betadine...elizabethan collar and an antihistamine.The betadine will sort out any bacteria and/or fungal problem..the antihistamine will help relieve the itch, and the collar(or a soft basket muzzle, if supervised) will stop the self-inflicted trauma/bacterial introduction/moistening effect of saliva.

Finding the original cause .....that's another story. Where he is chewing is the 'textbook' flea chewing spot...If he is allergic- only needs one bite!

but it can also be chewing to try & relieve some pain in the hips/tail area.

Couldn't find any fleas, but it's really hard in that much fur! Is there something I can use to make a makeshift E-collar? They ate ours when my girl got desexed. I'm guessing washing him in flea stuff isn't the best idea while he's got weepy wounds.

Since you're in the NT has he had a skin scrape lately? I would actually treat your dogs religiously for fleas for 3 mths and see if that makes any difference, some dogs only need one flea hanging around and it bites and starts a chain reaction of itchy/dog chews/more itchy/dog chews more.

How did you go with your other girl who was showing the aggression??

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

She's settled down fairly well, we've been keeping really on top of her behaviour and how she interacts with the animals around her. Any signs of that stiffness or alertness that comes before a row and she gets a distraction which really helps. Can't get the weight back on her though. She's probably not under weight, but her ribs and hips stick out so much it's a little bit sad :rofl:

Misc016.jpg

Got some ACV today and added some to their water and some on his sore bits, but my girl loves the taste and keeps licking it off! After putting Aloe on it last night we had our first itch free night in weeks and it wasn't as nearly red this morning!

It probably is a flea allergy, will give him a flea bath today now that he's not got open sores.

If it is a flea allergy then a flea shampoo will only last up to 12 hrs and probably won't do his skin any favours.

You need religious use of whatever adulticide is working up there at the moment- you might want to look at comfortis for now as it's new and a few dol'ers in tropical areas are saying it's working (for now :welcome:).

She's settled down fairly well, we've been keeping really on top of her behaviour and how she interacts with the animals around her. Any signs of that stiffness or alertness that comes before a row and she gets a distraction which really helps. Can't get the weight back on her though. She's probably not under weight, but her ribs and hips stick out so much it's a little bit sad :welcome:

Misc016.jpg

Got some ACV today and added some to their water and some on his sore bits, but my girl loves the taste and keeps licking it off! After putting Aloe on it last night we had our first itch free night in weeks and it wasn't as nearly red this morning!

It probably is a flea allergy, will give him a flea bath today now that he's not got open sores.

Glad to hear the poor lil fellow had a bit of an easier night with the itching.

Edited by sandra64

She's settled down fairly well, we've been keeping really on top of her behaviour and how she interacts with the animals around her. Any signs of that stiffness or alertness that comes before a row and she gets a distraction which really helps. Can't get the weight back on her though. She's probably not under weight, but her ribs and hips stick out so much it's a little bit sad :welcome:

Glad to hear the poor lil fellow had a bit of an easier night with the itching.

It meant we all got some sleep!

When you say "waxy" do you mean "oily" ?

When you say "he's lost a tonne of weight" - is that through purposeful diet? Do you think he's a dog who accumulates weight too easily on next to nothing?

Both these questions are not contingent upon the other.

Just a suggestion, but have you thought about checking thyroid? If you haven't, but if you do, I wouldn't much bother with the Aussie tests. The USA testing (Dr. Jean Dodds) is far more thorough and can detect thyroid issues where our testing will not. The analysis is more accurate too.

While you are trying to get to the cause of the issue, you might try giving him a wash with Calendula tea. You can purchase this from Health Food Stores - it is not expensive, and make it into a tea just as you would a normal tea. It relieves the redness and has natural antibacterial qualities. This tends to help in stopping secondary skin infections. But it does not fix the original source of the problem - it just eases the symptom, which in itself can prove to be a big relief to your dog.

Edited by Erny

I have oily hair and his fur is definitely waxy, it's a kind of tacky but not wet feeling, hard to explain.

He's lost weight purposely. He's been so overweight for many years now and he's lost about 5+ kilos since Easter. My girl lost weight when she was sick in November and has a distinct 'camp dog' look about her now.

Can dogs be allergic to ticks? We're not in a paralysis tick area, but we're having huge issues with the little 'crab' ticks at the moment.