Car Seat Cover

poochmad

Hello. We're looking at getting a back seat cover to protect our new VW Golf from the dog hair (and wear and tear). One of the covers we like is the Back Seat Buddy. Does anyone have one of these and are they good? Or can you recommend another type?

Thanks.

If you have large dogs, i think they're useless. I bought a similar product from Autobarn. $60

When the dogs jump in, the weight stretched the buckles and straps and two broke off. I had

them sewn back on, didn't tighten the straps as much, but again the straps broke away.

I've had my Backseat Buddy for a few years now and it has stood up to the test of time carrying heavy Rottweilers.

Rottylover: I don't connect the buckles to the front seats until the dogs are already in the car. I have the buckles/straps attached to the back seats and straighten the cover over the back seat, the dogs climb in and hop onto the seat - then I attach the buckles to the front seats. If big dogs had to make the leap onto the cover from the ground when the straps and buckles were already connected to the front seats I can see how their weight would break them.

My son has an Autobarn one for his Rottweiler and he uses the same method as I do. His cover is still going strong 3 years later with no sign of wear in the straps or buckles.

OMG

I can't believe the price someone would pay for a seat protector...

This is ridiculous. There is better on the market for a fraction of the price.

Iam so sorry if i offend anyone bur $235 + for a seat cover when perfect options are available for $50-60 max..

OMG

Iam so sorry if i offend anyone bur $235 + for a seat cover when perfect options are available for $50-60 max..

We have a $40 back seat hammock and it copes fine with a 23kg Lapphund and a 10kg Vallhund. Well, Erik isn't 10kg yet, but Penny was.

Hell, we got a $10 one from the local bargain shop and it lasted about 6 months before claws finally put holes in it.

Both of them fit OH's Polo fine, and the more expensive one is now in the new Forrester. The only problem we've had is that we buy ones with holes for the seatbelt buckles so the pups can be plugged in, but that means sand and dirt still gets onto the seat. Having a couple of beds in there for them helps a lot.

OMG

Can you show me one for 50 or 60 with the same features? Steel D rings, zip off covers that are quilt stitched, one that can be half zipped off (I have used this feature many times) etc etc.

OMG

As you posted a second time and quoted your own post you must be really sure of your facts. Have you tested a number of brands of back seat covers for dogs?

Maybe you can tell us which brands on the market are better than a Backseat Buddy for a fraction of the price. How many brands have you tested and for which breed of dog? I'm really interested to know. If you know which are the perfect options could you do us a favour and educate us please. You might save a few members some money if they can get the same quality as a BSB for $50-60 max.

Clearly a Chihuahua would not require the same strength or quality in a dog safe seat cover as a couple of Rottweilers would. My Backseat Buddy is to keep my Rottweilers safe, I didn't buy it to protect the seats, a rug could do that job but it wouldn't keep my dogs safe.

I am of the belief that if you want quality then you have to pay for it. As we often hear, 'you get what you pay for'.

People are not 'ridiculous' for spending their own money on whatever they wish to spend it on. It's their money and they can spend it on whatever they like.

OMG

You are entitled to your opinion.

If you know a better one available for a fraction of the price, perhaps you might share that knowledge?

My BSB is close to 8 years old and going strong. I'm very happy with it and said so. :rofl:

One of the covers we like is the Back Seat Buddy. Does anyone have one of these and are they good?

Can thoroughly recommend the Backseat Buddy! We used one for many years in several sedan/coupe type cars we had and it is still going strong - in fact just lent it to a friend for his new car (we don't use it anymore as we have a hatchback for the dogs now). It is easy to use, easy to wash and the dogs always loved it. Worth every penny! :rofl:

Edited by New Age Outlaw

I am of the belief that if you want quality then you have to pay for it. As we often hear, 'you get what you pay for'.

People are not 'ridiculous' for spending their own money on whatever they wish to spend it on. It's their money and they can spend it on whatever they like.

:rofl: Thank you! I'm glad somebody said it! (If you hadn't I probably would have, though maybe not quite so eloquently! ) :laugh:

I bought a cheap back seat sling then cut up a couple of those foam rubber camping mats to fit between the backs of the front seats and the rear seat and between the arm rests on either door. Placed on top of the sling this gives a nice firm and relatively flat surface for the dogs to be on. I then cut a piece of rubber backed marine carpet (cut a bit oversized so the edges are curled up) to go over this which gives a nice non slip, waterproof and durable surface.

I harness my 2 labs with black dog harnesses belted to the anchor bolt on the rear parcel shelf and adjusted so that they cant quite get to the front seats.

Edited by Paulp

My Backseat Buddy is to keep my Rottweilers safe, I didn't buy it to protect the seats, a rug could do that job but it wouldn't keep my dogs safe.

How does the cover keep your dogs safe, CavNrott ?

I didn't know about the BSB. The one i bought from Autobarn was very tough material wise, but the straps/clips were very

weak. Having said that, i should've done what you suggested and not clipped it together until the dogs were seated.

In the end, as much as i hate them, i bought a canopy for my ute. That solved all the problems of smell, slobber, hair and

safety.

OMG

You are entitled to your opinion.

If you know a better one available for a fraction of the price, perhaps you might share that knowledge?

My BSB is close to 8 years old and going strong. I'm very happy with it and said so. :)

Same here, mine's almost 9yo and has coped with big dogs all those years with no sign of wear and tear.

I do hope SB will come back and set those of us she deems 'ridiculous' on the right track.

Way to go SB :dancingelephant: 6 posts and you're already insulting some members. :welcome::)

Edited by cavNrott

My Backseat Buddy is to keep my Rottweilers safe, I didn't buy it to protect the seats, a rug could do that job but it wouldn't keep my dogs safe.

How does the cover keep your dogs safe, CavNrott ?

I didn't know about the BSB. The one i bought from Autobarn was very tough material wise, but the straps/clips were very

weak. Having said that, i should've done what you suggested and not clipped it together until the dogs were seated.

In the end, as much as i hate them, i bought a canopy for my ute. That solved all the problems of smell, slobber, hair and

safety.

RottyLover, firstly they're safe because they can't fall off the back seat and secondly they're secured to the seat belts through the little spaces in the BSB. They are where I put them and can't be flung around in the car.